• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Anyone else with severe kidney disease,

JyllianS

Hi everyone! I am on track to getting the gastric sleeve. I have stage 4 kidney disease (FSGS). I am nervous about complications but my nephrologist has approved the surgery. It may be too late to save some of my kidney function, but at the very least I can start getting to a healthy weight so I'll be eligible for a transplant.

Anyways, just wondering if anyone else started their journey also having kidney disease and how it worked out for you. Thank you!

I have one low functioning kidney but it is not a problem the other kidney picks up the slack. I have learned over the years since this problem began , to not dehydrate or I pass kidney stones. It started in 1995 when I had a hysterectomy for endometriosis. The dr put 9 laparoscopic staples in my ureter one inch above my bladder, basically he shut my right kidney off. In 1997 I had problem with urination (blood in urine). I went through three stents and two kidney stones in two years time after the removal of the staples. I take blood pressure medicine because of the low functioning kidney.

Last edited:
Back