• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Appetite Suppressant for Pre-Op patients

Grommie

I was just wondering if anyone took a appetite suppressant during the clear liquid faze before surgery. If so what kind did you take? I am worried I am going to get hangry and lose every friend I have in this world. My sister says she is going to stay away from me because she knows I get really crabby when I am hungry. I have to do it a week but my doctor does not allow you to have any protein shakes. It has to be clear liquid only.

Wow I’m having the bypass October 3rd my Dr didn’t mention a appetite suppressant, I’m on day 3 and I’m having a rough time at this. My dr did suggest protein shakes. I was wondering if I could not make it would soup be ok every few day. The broth is not working for me.
I was just wondering if anyone took a appetite suppressant during the clear liquid faze before surgery. If so what kind did you take? I am worried I am going to get hangry and lose every friend I have in this world. My sister says she is going to stay away from me because she knows I get really crabby when I am hungry. I have to do it a week but my doctor does not allow you to have any protein shakes. It has to be clear liquid only.

I've never heard of a week-long, clear liquid phase. Sorry you have to do something so strict. There are clear protein drinks out there, the protein should help with the hunger. I don't know if adding any kind appetite suppressant so close to surgery would be advised. But I could be wrong, maybe there's something natural out there that I don't know about. I'd ask your doctor for sure.

I've never heard of a week-long, clear liquid phase. Sorry you have to do something so strict. There are clear protein drinks out there, the protein should help with the hunger. I don't know if adding any kind appetite suppressant so close to surgery would be advised. But I could be wrong, maybe there's something natural out there that I don't know about. I'd ask your doctor for sure.
Thanks Brenda. I will ask at my pre-op testing, which is also the day I start the liquid diet.

I was only on clear liquid for a few days after surgery. For my pre op diet, I bought Premier Protein shakes at Sam's as suggested by my surgeon's dietician. They're high protein (30g) and low fat. I was allowed up to 5 a day. They did a good job at keeping my apatite in check. My surgeon explained to me that the main reason for that diet was to remove fat from the liver so that he cold get to the stomach easier.

Back