• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

appreciation post

I love this group so much. I learn from people who are wise and experienced, as well as those who are misinformed or superstitious.

Judy's NEW AMSTERDAM post is a great example of the general mistrust and misconceptions outsiders have of RYGB and VSG. I'm actually going to find that episode, Judy, and watch it, because your review was compelling.

I want to make an obvious statement. Our group exists because of WLS, not dieting.

It takes a huge leap of faith to have this surgery, and there's so much bigotry from those who think it's an easy way out.

WLS means you never have to diet again. But it's not a stroll in the park. The surgery is a tool. You can still use it wrong, or leave it in the toolbox instead of using it.

People who succeed are the ones who realize it's not just physical, but intensely mental. That's why a support group is so important.

Thanks to all the members who teach us so much, with love.

I love this group too! And totally agree that in order to succeed, you've got to do the mental work. When I had Lapband surgery years ago, while I did loose 90 lbs, I didn't do the mental aspect. I had a problem with the band and needed to have the restriction removed but had I done the mental part, maybe I wouldn't have gained the weight back.

Last edited:
My wife is considering the surgery, and she had an appointment with a doctor for an unrelated issue and she brought up the possibility of WLS. The doctor was a small woman (my wife described her as 90lbs soaking wet), and most likely had never been obese. She gave a bunch of references to diet books and this and that and said "Oh, why would you want to do that to yourself?" It wasn't her primary care physician (who readily gave a referral to the same clinic I used), so she took it all with grain of salt, but a conversation could have swayed some people if they didn't have good info.

We have a tendency to put all doctors on the same pedestal, like they all know everything about health, but even bariatric surgeons aren't necessarily educated on the science of obesity or even why the surgery actually works. Unless a doctor has taken a special interest in really researching it, from my experience, they don't know much more than the average person, which isn't much.

Only about 1% of the people who would be eligible for surgery in this country get it. I suspect many get talked out of it by doctors who really don't know what they are talking about or have some unreasonable bias.

This is so true. My PCP was like WHY would you get surgery, just eat better. Doctors will suggest you go under the knife to get a benign cyst removed but act like you're just too lazy to lose a "few" pounds. And, since when is 100 a FEW?!?

WLS absolutely is NOT the easy way out. You cannot depend on a smaller stomach to do it for you because guess what? Every single one of us HAD a normal sized, properly working stomach at some point. I messed up the first one. I can mess up this one. WLS gives you a reset; a chance to start over and do it right. But you still have to do it. Add in the mental and it's A LOT.

That being said, I feel this has been one of the best decisions of my life. It turns out I actually LIKE planning and prepping healthy meals. And I LOVE the way I feel. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I was headed to a shortened and ugly future. Now I feel like I can do anything. I hope anyone who reads these posts and is considering surgery sees how great it has been for the large majority of us and makes the best decision for their health.

Diane is 100% correct. This group .. all of you .. ROCK! Even when things are going well, there are questions, mini freak outs, large panic attacks, fear, questions etc. This group has managed to say exactly what I need to hear at every turn. So if you're thinking of answering someone and figure "eh, 2 people already answered" just respond anyway. You may have the words that will get through to someone, when others did not. We each respond and understand differently due to differing emotions. All the individual personalities in this group make it great. So, thank you all. I am not sure I could do it without you.

I am so thankful I’ve found all of you! The constant encouragement, words of wisdom, and just general positivity has been a God send. I look forward to my morning cup of coffee, new posts, connecting with others and of course the daily inspirations to start the day!!!

My dr was recommending the surgery. I started in the move program which is a group for people needing to loose weight. I was the one who argued against WLS at first. I knew people who had the surgery who lost then found ways around the lap and and sleeve surgeries. After a year on diet meds I had lost some but not very much. I learned about the RNY from someone who had that. I did my own research on web md and Mayo Clinic. It was a big eye opener. I found this site during the pandemic after deciding to get the surgery. It has been an amazing source of support and inspiration. I don’t check in everyday. I don’t post everyday. But when I do check in it is the best.

Back