• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Appreciation to everyone involved in American Bariatrics!!

Jniz

Hello everyone several months back I found this site in part because I was very disappointed with the staff at my bariatric surgery center. I suppose the generic packet, they handed me was supposed to answer all my questions. I don’t need to go into all the details but calls were not returned appointments were not made ect. In all fairness Covid probably contributed to some of the abysmal service. We have a friend who was going through the same clinic as we are who became so disgusted with the care provided, she called them several weeks ago and informed them she would be filling a complaint and left the clinic. My wife and I are both scheduled to have surgery soon several months late due to covid. What has kept us going is the surgeon is highly regarded and we don’t want to start this process over.

Several months ago, I posted a number of questions regarding post bariatric surgery and, had some fantastic replies and, lately I have been a lurker taking in what is posted here. A big shout out to all the people who have posted here!! I have had so many questions answered many I didn’t know that I had. My anxiety level has dropped from a 7 to a 2 and I now know that my long-term success is on me.

Best,
James

Hi James, I'm glad you are still with us here and that we have been helpful. That's a shame that your center is not more helpful. If it make you feel any better, I chose my center because I thought they were tops with their support system and follow-up only to find that Covid put a wrench in that and they haven't made any effort for reaching out to patients in any way. I even wrote to the head of the program asking if they would have some alternative support and never heard back. My surgeon is tops in this area too. I have my 1 year follow-up coming early July and I will mention something to them, meanwhile I have this wonderful group and also belong to two others and I am probably getting better support through my online groups anyway! Do you think you are still on track with getting all your appointments in before your estimated time of surgery? I remember you were hoping to do some traveling afterwards.

I think a lot of programs have become very cookie cutter. Monthly appointment? Check. Psych eval? Check. Nutritionist? Check. It's all become very routine. However, there is no excuse for not returning a phone call or failing to set up needed appointments. Still I am happy that you and your wife have decided to stick it out. It really is mostly about the surgeon in the end. I hope it goes well for you both.

Thank-you, everyone!

Enough ranting out of me it is clear that this online group is my support group and has the best answers for me so far. I have to let go of my anger and frustration at almost every service provided for me to date by my surgery center!!

This year is a busy one for us our son is getting married and we have several trips in the works Covid permitting. We have had our vac shots and are ready to have the surgery behind us and live the best life we can in retirement.

James

Back