• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

April 20, 2022 my date!

It’s really interesting reading what pre-op foods are allowed. It’s so different for each of us. I could have 2-3 shakes, jello, s/f popsicles, cottage cheese, applesauce, and 3-4 pickle spears if I got light-headed due to lack of sodium.

I agree with don’t chew it and spit it out. It would be too easy to just swallow “a little”. If your having WLS then you made a commitment to change your life. Follow whatever plan your surgical team has set up for you. It makes no sense to go through the process and start looking for ways to eat regardless of what your surgical team has in place.

While you may like the tastes of certain shakes, soups, waters, or what have you - your taste will change after surgery.

I remember loving premier chocolate shakes forever - after surgery N A S T Y. It was like trying to drink oil that was flavored with chocolate and was too nasty to swallow. I had a video visit 1 week after surgery with my surgical team. My husband was there we were just about finished and he said I’d like to say something. He told the surgeon he broke “my wife” she can’t stand anything chocolate or sweets. Dr said we didn’t break her we removed her sweet tooth - my husband says “damn now I gotta get her denture cause all her damn teeth were sweet.” My dr said he understood why my husband and I got along so well.

If you’re fortunate enough to be able to have surgery that is amazingly life altering the food restrictions pre-op are painless. The more you stick to the eating plan - restrictions - the better it’ll be on the other side.

Having this surgery is the TOOL to help you get to a healthier you. It’ll jump start the whole process! Best of luck to all the ones with up coming surgeries! You got this!!

Back