• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Arthritis

Kathi_S

Well, an unexpected little bump in the road.

I have been taking Meloxicam (an anti-inflammatory) for years for arthritis in my thumbs. You may think it was caused from years of exciting hitchhiking across the country, but sadly no, I'm just crafty.

Recently, I decided to stop my Meloxicam early to see how bad my thumbs would hurt, just in case I might decide to give hitchhiking a try when I can fit into a convertible.

Much to my surprise, my thumbs were really not the problem at all. My knees were. My knees hurt with every step, especially up and down stairs, and even in bed when I would bend them. How dare arthritis sneak up on my knees like that, without any warning at all!

So I called my bariatric team coordinator and asked how long I could take the meloxicam before surgery, and was told up to 48 hours before.

She recommended I get a referral to rheumatology to see about getting injections for some pain relief, so that I could stay active.

Here is where it gets interesting (other than my apparent desire to hitchhike across the country).

I requested a referral from my PCP to a rheumatologist, explaining the whole situation, she knows I'm having bariatric surgery in two weeks. Her response was to deny me the referral, recommend instead an anti-inflammatory diet, tummeric supplement and weight loss.

So, I called the rheumatology department myself. Unfortunately you cannot make an appointment without a referral. I read my doctor's response to my request for a referral and they were astonished.

They told me that the referral could come from any of my doctors, so now I have two request out (one of them from my surgeon) for referrals.

The rheumatologist is confident that she can get me in and probably treat my knees prior to surgery if she gets the referral soon. So now I wait.

What I absolutely cannot believe is the response I got from my PCP. Kind of hard to follow an anti-inflammatory diet when you are on a liquid diet.

Time to look for a new PCP. This is not the first time I have gotten bizarre responses from her.

Hey Diane, I did my best with paragraph, but sometimes ranting just takes up space!:rolleyes:

I don’t blame you looking for a new PCP. I have advanced osteoarthritis in both knees and that dr recommended weight loss (this was 3 years ago and I was 285lbs), which is an obvious response from a knee surgeon, but it was in conjunction with physical therapy, anti inflammatories, and possibly shots. Not to rain on your parade, and this is my experience so I can’t speak for anyone else, my knees still kill me even after losing as much as I have. But the rest of my joints aren’t as bad and I know that my arthritis is fairly advanced. I just don’t want knee replacements before I’m 40…hell I don’t want them before I’m 50 or 60 for that matter! Only time will tell though. Hope you can get into the rheumatologist quickly!

I am sorry about your primary doc. Unfortunately, too many doctors have a "weight loss is the cure to everything" mentality. So, I would absolutely recommend finding a new doctor. I had LOVED the doctor assigned to me during my WL journey, so much that I asked her to be my primary, which she said ok, but I'll just see you here (The weight loss center.) The last time I went in, she said, okay, call and make an appointment at my main office. I only accept new patients as their PCP if they're at a healthy weight.
So now I have an appointment to see my old PCP. I liked her too but I hate the facility/network she is with. But I would rather deal with them for the annual check ups than see a doctor who won't treat overweight patients, unless they are considering surgery. I mean WHAT!?!
I'm sorry to hear that 3mom has not had much relief for her arthritis after losing so much. I had an almost immediate improvement in my knees, hips and feet. (Hands had a little less improvement obvi.) However, I did/do not have advanced arthritis so that's probably why I got so much relief so quickly.

Wow Kathi, that is crazy!! So glad you were able to get a referral elsewhere. My inflammation is better since having WLS and eating better but it's not perfect.

It will be good if they can treat you before surgery so that you will feel better to do all that walking required after surgery. Good luck!!

I requested a referral from my PCP to a rheumatologist, explaining the whole situation, she knows I'm having bariatric surgery in two weeks. Her response was to deny me the referral, recommend instead an anti-inflammatory diet, tummeric supplement and weight loss.

So, I called the rheumatology department myself.
In some ways, getting bariatric surgery is easier now than when I had it 14 years ago. I'm just now realizing how cookie-cutter the ramp-up has become. I'm sure this is a function of insurance lobbying.

This may not help, but my path began with my future surgeon actually writing a letter to Medicare explaining my obesity and comorbidities. Once the govt had the letter, no approval was required.

It shouldn't be so dependent on insurance approval pro forma. That's like using a fox to guard the henhouse.

I hope you can navigate the system quickly.

I have had arthritis in my right knee fo about 10 years now and since March ive had times where my whole right side from the hip to the foot go almost completely numb on me and I’m in pain when I try to walk . It happens maybe once a month or two .

a couple of times twice in the month . I had X-rays and they just said it was arthritis and that was it .

When I told my podiatrist that I was going to have bariatric surgery he was 100% for it. I have had 3 foot surgeries in two years. He also thinks I may have some arthritis in my feet.

He told me that carrying the extra weight will lead to eventual joint replacements.

I told him at the time that I was worried about not being able to use anti-inflammatories ever again, but he reassured me that there we a lot of other treatment options, including joint replacements.

In his opinion, which I trust very much, an eventual joint replacement is a much better option, than continued obesity.

If I'd had this surgery years ago, this would not be an issue. Hindsight is 20/20.

I have used and abused my body over the years (plus the extra weight) ended up having a partial knee replacement. I also have arthritis in multiple places and tendinitis in my elbows. I can totally relate to what you are talking about.

I am hopeful that losing some weight and eating to reduce my inflammation will all help. I am also concerned about not being able to take naproxen nothing works better for me.

Kathi I was 50 years old before I found a PCP who is fantastic I sure hope you get someone who works for you!

I loved what your PCP told you (duh). I have had a number of Drs. address my obesity and basically treat me like I'm stupid.

I truly hope both you and Bill can get some good relief. It is miserable to be in pain!!

J

I have had arthritis in my right knee fo about 10 years now and since March ive had times where my whole right side from the hip to the foot go almost completely numb on me and I’m in pain when I try to walk . It happens maybe once a month or two .

a couple of times twice in the month . I had X-rays and they just said it was arthritis and that was it .
Personally sounds like a nerve issue to me. I had that when I was pregnant both times-horrible sciatica.

Back