• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Backsliding with 40 days to surgery

Yeledov

Ever since I got my surgery date I’ve had a much harder time keeping myself on track with my pre-op food plan. Just to be clear, I’m not on the pre-op liquid diet yet. As I mentioned in the title I have 40 days until surgery. My weight is stable, with occasional drops of a pound or so, and below what my surgeon requires me to be before 14 days until surgery.
So, my question is..is this common? Did you have a hard time keeping yourself from either eating too much or indulging too often on food? If so, what did you do to try to stop it or at least put a fence around it to prevent a binge?
Thanks! Have a good week ahead!

Oh I definitely had a “fair well to foods tour” before my surgery LOL I was careful about it, but I totally happened. There were some things I knew I wouldn’t have for a long time after surgery, so I had them. I didn’t want to constantly deny myself something then end up binging on it later. Moderation is important, just like after surgery, the only difference is that you have more stomach room right now.

I think that is very common, especially as surgery day gets closer. I agree with 3mom as I pretty much did the same. For the most part I was eating well and had cut down a lot before surgery (I actually lost 44 lbs from Feb 1 - June 25 which was my surgery date), but I did allow things occasionally that I felt I wouldn't be eating afterwards.

Oh I definitely had a “fair well to foods tour” before my surgery LOL I was careful about it, but I totally happened. There were some things I knew I wouldn’t have for a long time after surgery, so I had them. I didn’t want to constantly deny myself something then end up binging on it later. Moderation is important, just like after surgery, the only difference is that you have more stomach room right now.

Thank you for the reassurance that I’m not completely coming from left field on this. I am mostly keeping things on track. I choose my “goodbye tour” meals to 1 or 2 meals a week. When I do have a food or meal that I may not be able to have post-op, I still use my smaller plates and keep the serving small. It may mean I eat the leftovers the next day but I think the separation of it into two meals helps me in learning portion control. My weight is kinda wobbling back and forth by a pound for the last 2 weeks but, since I’m well below my surgeon’s goal for me, I’m not terribly fussed. I’d like to drop about 8 more pounds by surgery day (it’s an arbitrary number) but I think my 2 week pre-op diet (in 25 days!) will likely do that for me.

I think that is very common, especially as surgery day gets closer. I agree with 3mom as I pretty much did the same. For the most part I was eating well and had cut down a lot before surgery (I actually lost 44 lbs from Feb 1 - June 25 which was my surgery date), but I did allow things occasionally that I felt I wouldn't be eating afterwards.

Thank you for reassuring me. I join the program (for the second time) last August and have lost about 42lb since then. I’m down 66lb from my highest lifetime weight. Considering I had to slog through lockdown, when most people (including my partners) were gaining weight, and I managed to continue to drop. Well, I guess I did okay.
As I mentioned to 3moms, I keep my portions of my farewell foods small. Much smaller than I would have eaten before! I guess I’m doing okay, even if I have a few foods that I will miss later.

I think you are going through a pretty normal reaction. Your body's hormones are still going to be driving your hunger until your surgery. You will still crave things that your brain still expects you to seek out.

Do the best you can do. You've obviously been killing it overall in you have been doing what you need to do.

There will be times when it will be very difficult to make good choices, but that is human nature. We are inescapably fallible, and when we have insulin and leptin resistance on top of that, it can be really, really hard.

From what you've shared since you've been with this community, I think you are doing great. Keep doing the best you can. The good choices you make now will help set yourself up for success 40 days from now.

Don't feel guilty. If you make a bad choice, give yourself a little mercy, grace and forgiveness and move forward from there.

You got this!

Back