• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Bacon ?!

Did you have VSG or bypass? It's possible it may be easier on a sleeve patient which is what I had. I was a little over 2 months out when I tried 1/2 of a BLT sandwich. I had no problem with it then, but with you being only at 5 weeks I would think that is too early to try it. Not only do you need to make sure it is chewed well, but for some the grease might be difficult to handle. Whenever you decide to try it, start small and see how you do.

5 weeks seems a bit early for bacon and other fatty foods. I would pass for now, but it probably wouldn't harm you, although some people don't stomach fatty foods very well after surgery.

I LOVED bacon and pork belly, we used to always have it in our fridge, but I've only had it once in the past 9 months and honestly don't miss it that much. When I see fatty meat now, it just reminds me of the fat I used to carry around and I don't really feel like consuming it.

Okay and what about iceberg lettuce. I’m craving lettuce. But I’m seeing it shows not to eat that for like 3 months or longer ? Why is that. Why is it so harmful

also I have the gastric sleeve done
I did not tolerate lettuce until about 5 months. As a side note there is no nutrtion in iceberg. Pick one of the others that at least has a little something

Okay and what about iceberg lettuce. I’m craving lettuce. But I’m seeing it shows not to eat that for like 3 months or longer ? Why is that. Why is it so harmful

also I have the gastric sleeve done
Iceberg lettuce is composed of tight, solid cellular walls. It holds a lot of water in these cells. If you bite down you'll hear a crunch you won't hear in leaf lettuce, or even the leafy part of romaine.

It's just one of many foods our new pouch can't tolerate because of reduced digestive juices being unable to break down.

If you think of your pouch as being similar to a baby's tiny tummy, it can help you decide what solid food might do to it.

You can "pre-chew" fibrous foods but before you do, ask your surgeon and nutritionist.

You'll have salad again. Your post-op job is to stick to an eating plan that allows your stomach to heal.

I like to mix the iceberg lettuce with other lettuces such as spring greens so I get more of a crunch. I tolerate salads pretty well, however since Kristy is still early on in the process, she may want to wait a little longer.

Lettuce is pretty much a filler, that's why it's recommended on so many dieting plans. It takes up a lot of space for few calories. Sadly, it isn't all that nutritionally dense either. With your much smaller stomach, they want you to eat foods that are high in nutrients compared to volume. That being said, I love iceberg lettuce. The fresh burst of flavor after the crunch, on top of spicy, Mexican food .. OMG, right?! But at 5 weeks, you are still healing and need to stick to only the foods that your WL team approved/suggested.
At 5 weeks, I was still on soft foods, with the gastric bypass. My surgical center requires an extra week on full liquid and an extra week of puree for sleeve patients, due to the larger size of the wound at the stomach. You will get to eat bacon again, and lettuce and all manner of things. Don't rush it. Really. Being sick from a food that didn't sit right, was too fatty or that you weren't ready for is awful!!

El, it's so comforting when you chime in. People come and go. It's a blessing when a "tenured" member contributes, by virtue of her/his continued member support.

Sending the same message of love and gratitude to all members who take the time to reach out and help others.

Blessings to you all.

Back