• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

bad breath!

pjb

I am 10 days post op from rny. My breath has a odor to it that is not pleasant! I also can taste it. I cant get rid of it except for a moment or two after brushing or drinking protein. Water doesn't wash it away. Anybody else?

High protein diets will cause that and I am not sure as to how to get rid of it. It is a result of metabolism as you lose the weight. Maybe someone else knows for sure. Seems to me I used to use a mouthwash when I was on Atkins many years ago but not sure. Are you drinking enough fluids to flush the waste products from losing weight out of your system? That should help too. You can also give your bariatric nutritionist a call and ask.

Yep....I suffered from that too...its from the high protein diet. It will get better once you start your solid foods. Carry some sugar free mints, it helps.

Same here! I'm trying to drink as much as I can but it's hard. I have severe dry mouth and I think that has a lot to do with it. Hopefully once we heal, this won't be a problem.

Back