• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Bariatric sleeve

Ginny27

Hello Everyone
I am coming to the end of my classes and I wasn’t thinking of going with the sleeve. I’m looking for everybody insite on this presedure.

Hello Everyone
I am coming to the end of my classes and I wasn’t thinking of going with the sleeve. I’m looking for everybody insite on this presedure.
Not much pain. Weight loss is slower than bypass. But for some that is beneficial. Like myself. I had no issues with dumping. But did have the frothing for maybe two days. The pain pills they prescribed were unnecessary after the first day but caused constipation. You are not suppose to strain. Sigh. I think with your doctor's guidance you will pick thr right one for you.

Big decision! You know yourself best. The sleeve takes discipline to keep the weight off years after surgery, do you have that? Bypass doesn't require as much, but it is a longer healing process and the tool your left with can be uncompromising when it comes to food. Your journey is your own, your body yours and you know yourself best so maybe ask yourself which is best for you and go that way. You can be successful either way! Best of luck!

That decision is only yours, I can tell you personally I had the bypass only because I thought it was the best choice for me, I was afraid it would hurt more after surgery but I had very little pain. you only get one chance at this and I wanted to lose the most weight that I could good luck with your decision

I had the bypass in 2002 and have regained all of my weight and am working towards having a revision. It is the OverStitch procedure where the physicians go down your throat and tighten your pouch and stoma back to its original size. Hindsight being 20/20, I now understand that you can “graze” and stretch your pouch. It is only a tool. Don’t ever take it for granted because you can definitely regain weight. I’m in much worse shape physically 17 years later, putting me in the higher risk category. But I can promise, if given the opportunity, I will go into this revision with my eyes wide open. If I were to gain 5 pounds after losing, I’d be back on the liquids to put myself in a time out before 5 pounds became 150 pounds again. That’s why we are here though. To support each other and lift each other up when need be. The tool is amazing. Just never get lazy. As with anything you want out of life, you will get out of it what effort you put in to it. I slipped and got lazy. Now I’m in for a longer and harder journey the 2nd time around. Not to mention much more expensive as not covered by insurance.

either way you will have to retrain yourself. I am going for the bypass because it will help me lose the most. I don't know much about you. But there was a time where I ate way to much. Now I barely want to eat but I have set my self on a schedule to eat 3 meals a day to get back to normal eating habbits. Only you know what you can handle. From how well you can follow the new lifestyle to how well you handle every change in your life. You are the one that decides which is best for you. Look at both of them and look for what you are looking for in the one you want. If you are still not sure ask the doctor when you see them next.

Not much pain. Weight loss is slower than bypass. But for some that is beneficial. Like myself. I had no issues with dumping. But did have the frothing for maybe two days. The pain pills they prescribed were unnecessary after the first day but caused constipation. You are not suppose to strain. Sigh. I think with your doctor's guidance you will pick thr right one for you.
What is frothing?

Back