• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Bariatric surgery for reflux

KDT

Hi all. I just joined. At present, I would like to visit with anyone who has had the roux-en-y for control of reflux-gerd. Lifelong reflux has me undergoing treatment for Barrerts and low grade dysplasia. Once stable, my doctor advises bariatric Surgery to stop stomach acid from entering my esophagus once and for all. I am not a candidate for the Nissan fundoplycation or the linx band. Anyone out there who can relate?

Any weight loss whether surgical or not should improve or get rid of acid reflux. But, with surgery you get gassy lol! I occasionally get indigestion too, but nothing like the acid reflux I had.

Any weight loss whether surgical or not should improve or get rid of acid reflux. But, with surgery you get gassy lol! I occasionally get indigestion too, but nothing like the acid reflux I had.
Yes, it should improve. I also am not a candidate for the sleeve or banding because they do not stop acid from getting into the esophagus. I have been doing a lot of reading and am impressed by the positive studies going on that show the roux en y bariatric surgery is a wonder worker for diabetics and is also showing promise at improving diabetic neuropathy.

I had been on prescription meds, twice the normal dosage, for acid reflux. I continued to have difficulties with the acid reflux even with this medication. The moment I had the surgery, my surgeon took me off my medication and I have had NO acid reflux from the moment I woke up from my surgery on 12/6/16. I feel very fortunate as this was an unexpected bonus.

Yes, it should improve. I also am not a candidate for the sleeve or banding because they do not stop acid from getting into the esophagus. I have been doing a lot of reading and am impressed by the positive studies going on that show the roux en y bariatric surgery is a wonder worker for diabetics and is also showing promise at improving diabetic neuropathy.

Wonder why it's not recommended sleeve surgery if you have acid reflex. If you are losing weight seems like the sleeve would be fine

Back