• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Beginning stage of getting gastric bypass

Hi, Theresa. Welcome to the group. That attitude of doing it for yourself and only yourself is going to come in handy later!! It becomes very important to focus on yourself and take care of your needs first the further along you get. It's like how they tell you on an airplane to put your oxygen mask on first. You have to take care of you before you can begin to offer care to anyone else!

I haven't fully decided if I'm going to do the bypass or sleeve...I have to go thru 6 months of appts b4 surgery so it will most likely b April for my surgery...
Not trying to offer medical advice, but you might want to discuss which procedure will work best for you. I (& many of us here) chose gastric bypass because of past issues with GERD, which might become worse after the sleeve. Hope the next 6 months fly by for you!

I'm right there with you. I'm 62 and have been talking about gastric surgery for years. Then I go on WW or Noom and lose 40 pounds, only to put it back on the following year. I was always thinking-Sleeve- but now I have a hiatal hernia, so the surgeon says can only do Bypass, which is so much invasive. I need some advice - I LOVE TO COOK AND I LOVE TO EAT. I'm worried the surgery won't fix change the way I eat.

I'm right there with you. I'm 62 and have been talking about gastric surgery for years. Then I go on WW or Noom and lose 40 pounds, only to put it back on the following year. I was always thinking-Sleeve- but now I have a hiatal hernia, so the surgeon says can only do Bypass, which is so much invasive. I need some advice - I LOVE TO COOK AND I LOVE TO EAT. I'm worried the surgery won't fix change the way I eat.
Hello, I too wanted sleeve because if was/seemed less of a major surgery. Long story short, GERD, HH my surgeon said Bypass was a better option for me as well so I moved forward. I have ZERO regrets!
As far as you lowing to eat, that likely won't change regardless of what surgery you decide on. Changing your relationship with food is something you have to work on, maybe think about therapy? You will still be able to cook, and can learn better healthier recipes. You will still be able to eat things you like, and maybe making small changes to those things to even try to make them healthier.
The surgery is a tool that allows you to be satisfied while eating way less than you normally would be able to. What you eat, is on you.
You can do it, just use the resources that you were given. Reach out for help and put your mind to it.

Hello, I too wanted sleeve because if was/seemed less of a major surgery. Long story short, GERD, HH my surgeon said Bypass was a better option for me as well so I moved forward. I have ZERO regrets!
As far as you lowing to eat, that likely won't change regardless of what surgery you decide on. Changing your relationship with food is something you have to work on, maybe think about therapy? You will still be able to cook, and can learn better healthier recipes. You will still be able to eat things you like, and maybe making small changes to those things to even try to make them healthier.
The surgery is a tool that allows you to be satisfied while eating way less than you normally would be able to. What you eat, is on you.
You can do it, just use the resources that you were given. Reach out for help and put your mind to it.
Thank you for responding. I started on this journey years ago, went to classes and met with nutritionist weekly and lost weight. After a few weeks, I learned that I could lose the weight and asked myself WHY I had to spend 6 months preparing for the surgery? Do you always have to "prepare" months for the surgery? If you do and you lose weight during those months, they WHY do the surgery? That's when I quit before.

Pretty much everybody thinks "If I have to do all this work, why have the surgery?" But the real question is; If you can lose it, WHY don't you keep it off? THAT is where surgery helps the most.

1. Your hormones reset, giving you a chance to lose weight and keep it off without feeling like you are starving all the time.
  2. You can eat highly processed , overly sweet foods again. But you won't like the consequences. Dumping is not fun.

The reasons the preparation is so long is because if you can't put in the effort to meet the prerequisites to get the surgery, you're not going yo put in the work required to maintain the results. And it is work.

Your love of cooking and eating can really help you in the long run. You can find new healthier recipes and ways to cook your favs. Also, when you can only eat a small amount, the quality of your food becomes important in a way it wasn't before. I don't eat all healthy food all the time but if I can only have 1 piece of chocolate, it's not going to be something I can grab at a gas station. I keep a small box of truffles made by a master chocolatier in my freezer. Sounds snooty, but they last me 6 months so they're worth it. Lol

Back