• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

BIG DAY. . .

HoJo

Well, today was the day I have been waiting for over the past 8 months. I finally got to meet with my surgeon. My big day for gastric bypass surgery is August 20th! :)
It sounds far away, but I find that time goes by fast when I'm trying to get everything ready for a big event. And there are still more appointments with the dietitian, the non-surgeon provider, pre-operative testing, and then the surgeon one more time before the surgery.:p
I finally got the nerve to tell my friend next door that I'm going for weight loss surgery. I was a little nervous about this because she had gastric bypass surgery almost a year ago, but it wasn't for weight loss. It was for severe reflux and Barrett's esophagus. She has had a horrible post-operative time. She has also already lost 100 lbs, but she didn't really need to lose weight so she is really, really thin. I didn't know what to expect when I told her. Surprisingly, she said that she thought that I probably won't have such a bad time recovering since our circumstances surrounding the surgery are very different.:cool:
Next, it's finally time to let my sister know. I have a very small family and I am closest to my sister. I'm hoping she is also supportive. Usually, she is and she seems to always know the right thing to say.:rolleyes:
I have my fingers crossed that my health insurance doesn't pull any last minute surprises!o_O
Well, too much for me in one day! :eek:

Congrats! Time will fly and you'll be on to the next part of your journey soon! So happy for you!

Ha! I had my surgery aug 21st of last year. Thats something. I am happy for you. Congratulations on getting through that hurdle. Let us know if you need encouragement on the liquid diet pre surgery! We are rooting for you. Woot woot!

Thanks for the support and all the help I've received from both of you. I don't have many people close to me that I can turn to for guidance. I am so glad I have you Bariatric Gurus to turn to for help when I have worries and concerns about the weight loss surgery. :D
I am also very happy that my sister and my friend are behind me 100% with my upcoming weight loss surgery. This is especially neat because neither of them really knows what it is like to suffer with being overweight their entire lives. :)
Of course, my next worry is that my health insurance might not approve the surgery. The assistant at my surgeon's office told me it's better if I don't hear from the office over the next 2 months. She said that if I don't hear from her, that will mean there is no problem with approval. :rolleyes:
Unfortunately, I don't have the best health insurance. I have to pay a 30% co-pay for the surgery, hospital stay, etc. Luckily, I had the time to save up my pennies. This is an exciting reason to break into my piggybank! :cool:

Hojo, are you still waiting to hear for sure on your surgery date? The insurance has approved it and your going to get it for sure?

I was told that if I don't hear anything from the surgeon's office that this is a good sign. In other words, don't bother to call us! I haven't heard from them yet so I'm hoping that things are moving ahead as planned.

I have an appointment with the Bariatrics medical doctor on 7/27/18. She is in the same office as the surgeon. So I'm hoping to get an update then.

I also have my second and last pre-op visit with the surgeon on 8/2/18 and that hasn't been cancelled yet. My pre-op testing appointment for 8/6/18 hasn't been cancelled yet either. But it's still too early yet.

So I guess nothing is really certain yet. I have a feeling that this is what happens to most people just before their weight loss surgery...total uncertainty!

Thanks for asking! I've been on an emotional roller coaster! :eek:

Big day for me today! This afternoon, I see my surgeon for the second and last time before my surgery. I have to sign the consent and receive other information and instructions. My surgery is still scheduled for Monday, 8/20/18. :)

I've been working 7 days each week for about 4 weeks to try and catch up at work and possibly get ahead. I don't want my co-worker to get too swamped while I'm out for 4 weeks. I already know what that is like! But, I feel like a zombie from having no time off and little sleep. I always have been a poor sleeper but it has gotten much worse as the day of surgery approaches. :eek:

I saw the medical doctor at the Bariatric Center at the end of last week. At the last minute, she moved up the time of my appointment from 4 PM to 12:30 PM. When I weighed in, I weighed 3 lbs more! I knew that I didn't gain weight, but I also knew that I didn't lose weight either. o_O

The doctor gave me a little bit of a reprieve because I had just eaten lunch. However, she told me to replace one of my meals with a protein shake every day to spur on some weight loss. It hasn't worked so far, though. It also was a lot harder than I thought. My food addiction is rearing its ugly head, for sure. :(

I'm afraid that I'm going to go through "food withdrawal" when I start the 2-week pre-op diet on Monday, 8/6/18. I'm not sure I can stick to the liquid diet for 2 weeks. I almost have all other foods that are not on the pre-op liquid diet out of the house. I don't think I'm going to weigh myself anymore until the day of surgery. It's been so depressing. I'm also afraid to be around other people because I get really hangry! :mad:

I have been working on my food addiction in therapy, but I don't have it all worked out. Does anyone have any recommendations that might help me through the 2-week pre-op liquid diet? If you do, could you share them with me? I feel pretty desperate right now . . . :oops:

Big day for me today! This afternoon, I see my surgeon for the second and last time before my surgery. I have to sign the consent and receive other information and instructions. My surgery is still scheduled for Monday, 8/20/18. :)

I've been working 7 days each week for about 4 weeks to try and catch up at work and possibly get ahead. I don't want my co-worker to get too swamped while I'm out for 4 weeks. I already know what that is like! But, I feel like a zombie from having no time off and little sleep. I always have been a poor sleeper but it has gotten much worse as the day of surgery approaches. :eek:

I saw the medical doctor at the Bariatric Center at the end of last week. At the last minute, she moved up the time of my appointment from 4 PM to 12:30 PM. When I weighed in, I weighed 3 lbs more! I knew that I didn't gain weight, but I also knew that I didn't lose weight either. o_O

The doctor gave me a little bit of a reprieve because I had just eaten lunch. However, she told me to replace one of my meals with a protein shake every day to spur on some weight loss. It hasn't worked so far, though. It also was a lot harder than I thought. My food addiction is rearing its ugly head, for sure. :(

I'm afraid that I'm going to go through "food withdrawal" when I start the 2-week pre-op diet on Monday, 8/6/18. I'm not sure I can stick to the liquid diet for 2 weeks. I almost have all other foods that are not on the pre-op liquid diet out of the house. I don't think I'm going to weigh myself anymore until the day of surgery. It's been so depressing. I'm also afraid to be around other people because I get really hangry! :mad:

I have been working on my food addiction in therapy, but I don't have it all worked out. Does anyone have any recommendations that might help me through the 2-week pre-op liquid diet? If you do, could you share them with me? I feel pretty desperate right now . . . :oops:
How are you doing? Im sorry i havent been on here. I would love to help you with the diet if you still need it. Let me know, k?

How are you doing? Im sorry i havent been on here. I would love to help you with the diet if you still need it. Let me know, k?

Hi Carolyn. You always seem to be here when I need help. Today is Day 5 of my 14-day pre-op liquid diet. You probably went through this, too, before your surgery. :(

I'm not sleeping much because I don't sleep well to begin with and because I'm nervous about my WLS on Monday, 8/20. I'm hungry and dizzy all the time on the liquid diet. I work a lot sitting at a computer for a good part of the day. I have actually been falling asleep in front of the computer and then suddenly dropping my computer mouse and waking up. My co-worker, who shares an office with me, keeps hearing me drop the computer mouse and is wondering what is wrong with me. She knows I'm having some kind of surgery soon and she knows I'm on a liquid diet because she noticed that's all I have been having at work. She doesn't know it's for WLS, but she may figure it out. :oops:

I've been waiting for this surgery and jumping through hoops for the past year. But, now I'm so miserable and I'm already wondering if this surgery is a mistake. I can't even handle the pre-op liquid diet and work! What's going to happen post-op? I have to work since I'm the only one supporting myself. But I am lucky that I have a total of 4 weeks off from the day of surgery forward. o_O

I'm just not too confident I'm going to make it through this pre-op liquid diet! I even have to work this weekend because my boss told me that I better be caught up with my work before I leave. . . I feel like a real mess . . . :eek:

Are you eating jello? Protein shakes? Basically anything that is liquid at room temperature. So eat stuff that melts. You are missing something in your diet cause you shouldnt feel dizzy always.

I recommend a variety of liquids not just soup and water. But maybe jello and popsicles. You can also have decaf tea and coffee. I cant think of anything else but the protein shakes are supposed to make you feel less hungry. At least 3 servings a day. Is recommended. I am looking at the bariatric guide book so its not just my word on it. Post op will be different vecause your stomach will be different. You may not feel hungry at all and have to force down the protein. But it will definitely be a different experience from pre op.

I will have the guide book on hand if you need more info.

As far as sleep goes...i am sorry you are having that issue. I can recommend melatonin. Supposed to be natural sleep aid. I used to take it but i never wanted to get up in the morning so...it might be a balance for you. Do some research. You can even buy it at the dollar store if they carry it. If you are told not to take a sleep aid then do what makes you fall asleep at work. Get your mind on the monotony of the day and not on anything exciting like the big day. Focus on sleep if you havent tried already. I am low on advice in that field. So i hope this little bit helps.

Well, today was the day I have been waiting for over the past 8 months. I finally got to meet with my surgeon. My big day for gastric bypass surgery is August 20th! :)
It sounds far away, but I find that time goes by fast when I'm trying to get everything ready for a big event. And there are still more appointments with the dietitian, the non-surgeon provider, pre-operative testing, and then the surgeon one more time before the surgery.:p
I finally got the nerve to tell my friend next door that I'm going for weight loss surgery. I was a little nervous about this because she had gastric bypass surgery almost a year ago, but it wasn't for weight loss. It was for severe reflux and Barrett's esophagus. She has had a horrible post-operative time. She has also already lost 100 lbs, but she didn't really need to lose weight so she is really, really thin. I didn't know what to expect when I told her. Surprisingly, she said that she thought that I probably won't have such a bad time recovering since our circumstances surrounding the surgery are very different.:cool:
Next, it's finally time to let my sister know. I have a very small family and I am closest to my sister. I'm hoping she is also supportive. Usually, she is and she seems to always know the right thing to say.:rolleyes:
I have my fingers crossed that my health insurance doesn't pull any last minute surprises!o_O
Well, too much for me in one day! :eek:
Congratulations!! Best wishes.

Well, it's a done deal! Surgery went well. Had a lot of nausea from anesthesia the day of surgery, but now I'm trying to sip slowly! I'm glad that all of you on this board gave me great information so I knew what to expect! One more night in the hospital and I hope to go home tomorrow, if all goes well... thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.:)

Not doing so well with liquids since I got home yesterday. None stayed down on Wednesday. So far I have only gotten 2/3 of a SF popsickle down...any suggestions

Not doing so well with liquids since I got home yesterday. None stayed down on Wednesday. So far I have only gotten 2/3 of a SF popsickle down...any suggestions
Hi. I hope things are improving. I havent had the issue so i dont have advice for it but i wanted to respond anyway. Are you able to keep anything down now? Maybe youbeed warm liquids and not cold.

Nothing stayed down for 2 days, so my surgeon ordered a scopolamine patch and zofran for nausea. I also had to go to the hospital for 2 liters of IV fluids

I have felt better since then and I have been able to get my fluids and protein in. The only problem is I can't stand anything sweet! So I'm pretty much having skim milk with protein powder, strained soups, and plain water!

Thanks for asking, Carolyn

Congrats on the surgery! I have been MIA I know, but I've been remodeling the kitchen at the church and between work and working on it I have no down time whatsoever! Oh and for the record, the HGTV people who say they can remodel in 3 days are liars!

Anyway, congrats on the surgery!!! It sounds like you can't handle sweets, welcome to the club! I'm over a year out, my taste buds are forever changed. :rolleyes: I can't do anything above 10 grams of sugar. Which really sucks in the first few months cause you dream of the lovely foods, but it gets better! the first time you gag on a piece of cake you need to think 'Well at least that won't stick to my thighs!' instead of negative thoughts! Oh, and I can eat one Oreo now. :D It isn't too sweet. More than 1 and my heart races, the no sugar thing can cause you to have serious dumping syndrome, so learning the foods that turn to sugar quickly in your system is a must! I hope the nausea is getting better. :confused: Mine took a very long time and I wish no one goes through that! I don't do much milk either, so I stuck with the soups and plain water so good for you! Are you finding that food is slowly moving to the back burner for you? I don't really think about food anymore unless it is a social gathering in which I'm trying to find the safest meal I can handle or I'm figuring out what I can eat to reach my protein goal for the day, lol! I don't have hunger and neither will you, so if you 'think' your hungry, remember it is your head talking you into it, not your belly! drink a protein shake or water, that will help with the head hunger. Even a small bit of Jello or cottage cheese will do the same. I switched to sugar free fudge pops after surgery, they were a bit thicker and went down okay. It has been 10 days, is the pain better? Are you headed back to work soon? I hope things are improving for you!

Hi PIXX! I'm so glad you found some time to come back to this forum. You have certainly been missed! But, I'm glad that you have been away for good reasons. :)

It sounds like you have been swept up into a whirlwind of positive activities. It's also so great to hear that all your hard work is paying off with continued loss of weight and inches. :D

I really have nothing to complain about physically since I was "tanked up" with 2 liters of IV fluid last Friday. It almost seems too easy! I'm having no problems getting in enough fluid or protein. :p

I no longer like anything sweet, so all the shakes I bought are going to be donated to my program. I don't think I ever want to see or taste one of them ever again! Skim milk and Genepro work just fine for me. :cool:

The best thing post-op is I love PLAIN WATER!! I used to gag on plain water and always had to have flavored, artificially sweetened water. Now, just give me some good old-fashioned ice water and I'm thrilled. :D

Today, is my first post-op visit with my surgeon and medical bariatric doctor. I haven't weighed myself since they weighed me on the morning of surgery. At the time of surgery, I lost 28 lbs. The 2-week liquid diet really led to a lot of weight loss! Even if I don't weigh less today, I know my body is changing. All of my pants are too loose and baggy already. :eek:

As for exercise, I'm still depending on walking my dog for at least an hour a day while I'm still healing. I don't know what type of exercise program will ultimately work for me. :rolleyes:

I definitely am not hungry. But my problems with "head hunger" come up during the night, especially since my insomnia has really worsened since the surgery. If I could just sleep through the night, it would be a miracle! :cool:

Back