• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

BIG DAY. . .

Well, I had a successful first post-op visit with my surgeon and medical bariatric doctor today. I was weighed for the first time post-operatively and I'm at a weight I haven't seen for over 20 years! It's like a miracle because I could never lose more than 15 or 20 lbs at one time on my previous diets. :)

I was so excited because my diet was upgraded from liquids to include some soft foods like cottage cheese, string cheese, eggs, ricotta, and even rotisserie chicken! Well, let's say that my first foray into the land of "real food" was a major flop! :eek:

I should have paid attention to many other people's previous posts about difficulties with digesting chicken. But no, I had to start out with chicken! I went all the way from feeling really good to "tossing my cookies" all day and night! No more new foods for me for awhile -- back to the liquids for me!! o_O

Well, I had a successful first post-op visit with my surgeon and medical bariatric doctor today. I was weighed for the first time post-operatively and I'm at a weight I haven't seen for over 20 years! It's like a miracle because I could never lose more than 15 or 20 lbs at one time on my previous diets. :)

I was so excited because my diet was upgraded from liquids to include some soft foods like cottage cheese, string cheese, eggs, ricotta, and even rotisserie chicken! Well, let's say that my first foray into the land of "real food" was a major flop! :eek:

I should have paid attention to many other people's previous posts about difficulties with digesting chicken. But no, I had to start out with chicken! I went all the way from feeling really good to "tossing my cookies" all day and night! No more new foods for me for awhile -- back to the liquids for me!! o_O
As i speculate on the wls i know that the cutting and rerouting of our stomachs is not what takes the weight off but the liquid diets before and after. The motivator to have a successful surgery seems the driving point behind the actual loss. If one can do a liquid diet at all times maybe one wouldn't need the cutting. That's A BIG maybe. We are essentially going at least three weeks without food. I dont seem to have that discipline any more though. I do wonder where it went. I have had no issues with what foods i ate. Just the quantity. I can eat a veggie salad and eat a whole bowl. Its still too much. I wanna go back to where i was more determined but seems like i totally depended on the surgeons approval. Dont fall into this trap. I woukd rather be lonely than see someone else suffer the consequences.

Hi Carolyn. I bet your motivation is still there. It's just been blindsided by all the roadblocks you have been running into lately. :confused:

It's not just the liquid diet that's helping you lose weight, but the fact that you are eating less food daily and different kinds of food than you did in the past. That, in itself, takes motivation on your part! ;)

I've heard a lot about weight-loss stalls, where people go weeks and even months without a change in the way the number on the scale reads! The body needs to catch up and adjust -- and especially for you, adjust to the episodes of hypoglycemia and hypotension you are having. I would like to think your body is focusing more on these 2 problems right now and not weight loss. I bet once these 2 problems improve, the number on your scale will start going down again. :)

Don't give up, Carolyn! You have come so far!! :p

So funny thing about sleep, I have tons of extra energy since losing weight and working out. I suggest either the Tespo sleep pod, or Luna, a sleeping aid you can find on amazon. I am not sure how well it will work this early out of surgery, but I find that with the itty bitty stomach, not much makes me sleep. A cap full of Nyquil will knock me out, but I don't want to be dependent on it, so I switched to the herbal tespo sleep pod, since that is how I also take my vitamins. I don't use it daily, just when I'm amped up a bit and need my body to physically relax enough to fall asleep :) I also love plain water!

Hi Pixx. I'm glad that you have some time to post again!

Unfortunately, I have had a difficult time during my 4-week post-op time. I've had a lot of nausea and vomiting. Now, my doctor thinks I have a stricture because I am having a lot of painful reflux along with the nausea and vomiting. I am on 3 medications for reflux and 2 medications for nausea and vomiting.

So, I am back on fluids only and have an upper endoscopy scheduled for next Tuesday.

Things have been a little rocky, but the exciting thing is I'm losing weight!

I have several friends that have had the same thing happen, but as soon as they fix the stricture, things get so much better, I hope this is the case for you! Congrats on the weight loss so far!

Back