• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Big weight gain in 1 day

This is an example of an aberration. First, it's not a great idea to weigh daily. Weekly is plenty. Whether your scale is wonky or you registered artificially low one day and high the next, the scale is NOT your friend. There are so many things that are skewed in our fatbrain, your focus should always be on nutrition and exercise, not on clothing sizes or even the mirror.

You DIDN'T gain 9 pounds in one day. That's physically impossible, and I mean scientifically. Your logical mind should have assumed immediately that there's a mechanical problem, not a physical one.

Be kind to yourself. Stuff like this doesn't belong in your self-esteem.;)

Diane is 100% right, do not weigh everyday. It will make you crazy. That is a pretty large gain but there are several reasons that may have happened.

Hormones .. where are you in your cycle or are you going through peri menopause?

Salt/Water Retention .. did you eat something especially salty yesterday? skip a medication, like a water pill or for lowering blood pressure, that acts as a diuretic?

Carbs: have you mostly been sticking to a very low carb diet and yesterday (or the last few days) ate quite a few carbs?

Either way, try to remember today is a new day. Eat healthily and get some movement in. WLS is a science; more calories out than in will result in weight loss. If you are not overeating, having hormonal, medication or carb issues, please call your doctor.

Diane is 100% right, do not weigh everyday. It will make you crazy. That is a pretty large gain but there are several reasons that may have happened.

Hormones .. where are you in your cycle or are you going through peri menopause?

Salt/Water Retention .. did you eat something especially salty yesterday? skip a medication, like a water pill or for lowering blood pressure, that acts as a diuretic?

Carbs: have you mostly been sticking to a very low carb diet and yesterday (or the last few days) ate quite a few carbs?

Either way, try to remember today is a new day. Eat healthily and get some movement in. WLS is a science; more calories out than in will result in weight loss. If you are not overeating, having hormonal, medication or carb issues, please call your doctor.
I'm thru menopause so it's not hormones! Probably carbs. I was only counting protein, not carbs. Only when I started using the Baritastic app a couple days ago did I realize my carbs!

I absolutely agree with not weighing yourself daily. I had read so many comments here about this pre-surgery that I decided only to weigh myself on Mondays (my surgery day). No doubt by this time next week, most or all of those nine lbs. will have vanished. Good luck and please try not to worry. Maybe make small adjustments in your eating and movement and see if you notice any difference next week.

This group focuses on using surgery to "cure" obesity. For us, diets are worthless.

After you're released, you should take home pages of nutritional info and guides to normal eating. You're so lucky. It's a rebirth, a clean slate, an opportunity to eat right and get healthy.

Weighing your body isnt even necessary if you eat right. Your body will find its weight setpoint and you never have to diet again.

However... You still have an eating disorder. It may not have a popular name, but if you didn't have one, you never would have needed surgery for obesity

My scale is covered in dust. As long as I fit into my clothes, I couldn't care less about the number.

Absolutely nothing to concern yourself about. Bodies can fluctuate a great deal over the course of 24-48 hours due to water weight, stool weight and other factors. You don't just gain 9 lbs of fat in a day, or a week when you are post-surgery.

Step away from the scale and focus on good food choices, hydration and keeping active. Good things will happen.

The scale is just a representation of the earth's gravitational pull on your body, it doesn't define you or your success.

I have gained as much as 9 lbs or more in a single day in the past due to water retention. Due to my chronic low blood pressure issues, I have always had to drink a lot of water. For some reason, my body also liked to retain water. When I walked my hands and feet would look like water balloons. The more I drank, the more I retained. They finally did a complete hysterectomy, which helped with the water retention, but I do still retain some water.

So I agree if you gain that much in a day, it's most likely water. If it keeps happening, I'd suggest you mention it to your doctor.

I'm one of those people who weigh themselves daily. I doubt this will ever change, probably because I don't see a need to change it. I don't panic if my weight goes up or stays the same, but I do like seeing my progress. I am so familiar with water weight, that when the scale moves up it doesn't bother me, because I know what I had to eat the day before. I'm logging my food. I'm following the program. That's just my perspective!

Back