• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Bipolar

MANDY2910

New to the forum and so glad to have a sounding board to ask some questions and get support. I have my initial consultation 1/21 and my psych eval 1/31. I am nervous because I have Bioolar I. I have read some of the threads, but still would like to hear from other bipolar patients about their experience during the process. I am fearful of being denied because of my diagnosis. I see a therapist and a psychiatrist and am stable in my medications. I have been overweight my entire life. When I lose weight, I lose it well. I can’t seem to keep it off though.

Bipolar Disorder has become over-diagnosed even though the symptoms often fit PTSD better. I've been diagnosed with both, and more.

My advice is to deal with bipolar symptoms with meds your doc carefully monitors. But try not to associate bipolar disorder with your eating disorder. Check the DSM-IV for symptoms and focus on the therapies available.

And there are many meds for bipolar. If you take one, pay close attention to the benefits vs. side effects. Many cause weight gain. Many actually make depression worse.

I took them all, but finally decided only to take lamotrigine (Lamictal) to dampen my mania. I had a shrink who was furious I wouldn't take Lithium, which she prescribed at our first visit. She didn't know shit about me and had no skills in caring for my moods and actions. Lithium almost killed me. It caused tremors so bad I couldn't write. Not being able to write? THAT would kill me.

You won't be denied because of bipolar. Approval is based on many things, but I think BMI is most relied on by docs because it can be measured.

I hope you have a good shrink who listens to you. Have a back-up doc who can also track your health. We are complicated machines, and fortunately, our functions can be measured.

But meds can mask symptoms, and clash with other substances. You're unique. It might take time to figure you out. Docs need your feedback. They won't tell you what to expect because they don't know.

Bipolar disorder can be a gift. The greatest artists, writers, actors, musicians, etc. were diagnosed bipolar. Check it out on the internet. One great artist from the 1940s who responded well to lithium said he'd spent his life in sorrow for so long, only to find a few grains of lithium saved him.

There's no cure-all, but if you are bipolar, it's likely some kind of medication will help. Keep an open dialog with a medical professional until you find what works for you.

And as you lose weight, your dosage will probably need tweaking. It may take a year or more to find balance, and losing weight may improve your mental state, so focus on it. WLS is often a big part of the cure.

Diane, Lithium is the gold standard for Bipolar but it doesn't mean everyone can take it as you apparently know! My daughter was prescribed lithium way back in her teens but she had side effects. Maybe that is the first med they reach for because so many have had success with it. She was also on Lamictal at one point but the best one for her is Abilify and Topamax combo which is what she is back on now. I am so grateful that she finally has gotten on board with meds and are treating her now with the correct diagnosis.

Bipolar Disorder has become over-diagnosed even though the symptoms often fit PTSD better. I've been diagnosed with both, and more.

My advice is to deal with bipolar symptoms with meds your doc carefully monitors. But try not to associate bipolar disorder with your eating disorder. Check the DSM-IV for symptoms and focus on the therapies available.

And there are many meds for bipolar. If you take one, pay close attention to the benefits vs. side effects. Many cause weight gain. Many actually make depression worse.

I took them all, but finally decided only to take lamotrigine (Lamictal) to dampen my mania. I had a shrink who was furious I wouldn't take Lithium, which she prescribed at our first visit. She didn't know shit about me and had no skills in caring for my moods and actions. Lithium almost killed me. It caused tremors so bad I couldn't write. Not being able to write? THAT would kill me.

You won't be denied because of bipolar. Approval is based on many things, but I think BMI is most relied on by docs because it can be measured.

I hope you have a good shrink who listens to you. Have a back-up doc who can also track your health. We are complicated machines, and fortunately, our functions can be measured.

But meds can mask symptoms, and clash with other substances. You're unique. It might take time to figure you out. Docs need your feedback. They won't tell you what to expect because they don't know.

Bipolar disorder can be a gift. The greatest artists, writers, actors, musicians, etc. were diagnosed bipolar. Check it out on the internet. One great artist from the 1940s who responded well to lithium said he'd spent his life in sorrow for so long, only to find a few grains of lithium saved him.

There's no cure-all, but if you are bipolar, it's likely some kind of medication will help. Keep an open dialog with a medical professional until you find what works for you.

And as you lose weight, your dosage will probably need tweaking. It may take a year or more to find balance, and losing weight may improve your mental state, so focus on it. WLS is often a big part of the cure.
I am on Lamictal and buspirone. I was in Olanzapine and gained like 50 lbs! I am on a lot less medication than I was before and feel so much better. Just glad to hear it isn’t a hard NO for WLS

Diane, Lithium is the gold standard for Bipolar but it doesn't mean everyone can take it as you apparently know!

You're absolutely right, Judy. But gold standards change with science. Institutionalization and shock therapy used to be gold standards, too. I'm so grateful for science and research. I heard a news blurb this morning about a huge obesity breakthrough. I missed the entire thing, but will stay tuned. Another gold standard? Let's hope.

These treatments are often developed by drug companies, so it's tricky.

I was institutionalized briefly in 2005. After a few days a doctor called me into the office and accused me of faking my symptoms.

::::::: Long angry pause... ::::::::

He actually put it in my medical chart, which is there for my whole life, that I was "malingering." I had to look it up. He based it on the fact that he was WATCHING me at mealtimes, and I was eating a lot.

::::::::::: Another long furious pause... ::::::::::

Duh. I guess eating to the point of obesity is a sign of good mental health. No matter that I'd been fighting suicidal ideation for days before I finally admitted, humiliated, that I needed hospitalization.

What kind of weirdo goes into psychology, then bases a diagnosis on virtually stalking a patient? He shoulda been a traffic cop.

Anyway, I don't think a whole lot of science is involved in some psychologists' diagnoses. It helps me to ask the question: Why did this doc get into psychiatry in the first place? There was much discussion in the Seventies about personal problems driving people with MA & MS degrees to enter this field of mystery.

I don't mean to dismiss anyone's diagnosis. I've had some wonderful docs and lay therapists. They helped me to keep going and seeking. Part of me is broken. I'm grateful for those who've been open to me, who saw that and wanted to help me.

It's like walking the razor's edge to see the combinations of real and imagined in our psyches. I struggled for years until the medical community embraced PTSD, part of my generation of Vietnam war survivors. I don't fit bipolar nearly as accurately as PTSD. It's been a godsend for child abuse survivors.

I'm so happy to know your daughter is responding to meds.❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Hi Mandy. I am just getting started in the process, but I watched a really good video on YouTube regarding the psych evaluation. She said her psychologist asked questions about high stress situations. For example, if you have used food to deal with stress in the past, how are you going to deal with stress after surgery and NOT turn to food? How are you going to handle anxiety and depression without turning to food? What is your plan?

Last edited:
That helps actually. I am not a stress eater usually, which I guess is good. When I am stressed I usually start cleaning or cooking though. I love to cook. Inevitably of course I have to “taste” my food and that taste turns into a helping, which turns into another meal, etc. I haven’t figured out a way to combat that yet. I don’t know how you take something you are passionate and good at, like I am with cooking, and push it aside. Something else for me to work on before surgery.

That helps actually. I am not a stress eater usually, which I guess is good. When I am stressed I usually start cleaning or cooking though. I love to cook. Inevitably of course I have to “taste” my food and that taste turns into a helping, which turns into another meal, etc. I haven’t figured out a way to combat that yet. I don’t know how you take something you are passionate and good at, like I am with cooking, and push it aside. Something else for me to work on before surgery.

You can turn your love of cooking into learning new recipes that are lighter and healthier. There's lots of post-bariatric cookbooks out there. Also skinnytaste.com has lots of recipes online and lots of cookbooks.

I cut the recipe in half for most things and then I also take a container of it to my neighbor. This usually leaves enough for 1 or 2 meals for each of us and not tons of excess to worry about over eating

Tokash that is a good idea as well. I think one of my biggest hurdles, besides cooking, is also how quickly I eat. I eat soooo fast. One of the reasons I feel I overeat is because I don’t give my body the time it needs to realize it is full. By the time I finish what I have taken, and after it sits in my stomach for awhile, I am overly full or just plain miserable. I have been working on one thing a week I can do to start changing my mind set. This coming week is mindfully eating and slowing down. Of all the hurdles I have to overcome, this is engrained the most. Besides always being told to finish everything I took, it was always a rush at dinner time. There was always something we needed to do or some place we needed to be. I have eaten this way for over 40 years.

I have a friend that loves to cook. He turns his passion into cooking for others. He makes meals for his dental office, massage therapist, the nail salon, other doctor offices and even neighbors and friends. He makes stuff for fund raisers, and parties.

I have a friend that loves to cook. He takes his passion into cooking for others. He makes meals for his dental office, massage therapist, the nail salon, other doctor offices and even neighbors and friends. He makes stuff for fund raisers, and parties.
That is a great idea! My church does a lot of dinners for our elderly members. I could start volunteering for that more!

Hi MANDY2910

I am have Bipolar I, PTSD, nightmare disorder and GAD. I take lithium, Wellbutrin, Zyprexa (gaine 60 ) minipress, and Buspar. I was really concerned about quite possibly being denied during my psych evaluation. I do see a therapist and doctor to manage my medications. They want you at least a year since your last “episode” and compliant with medications. My approval was postponed until I could give them a letter from both my therapist and doctor saying they support me, have a plan of care in place, and the details. Both readily submitted the documents quickly and my doctor who manages my meds had WLS as well so she’s been so helpful regarding the process. The key seemed to be compliance and support on your end. Best of luck and I don’t believe they will outright deny you unless a series of red flags come up. It’ll most likely be postponing approval until whatever they feel you may need more support. But, again, it is case by case. A month later at my follow up appointment so also did a one on one support session which she counted towards one of my group sessions which was actually set for two months from then, so she sort of sped things up in that respect which was nice. Best of luck to you!

New to the forum and so glad to have a sounding board to ask some questions and get support. I have my initial consultation 1/21 and my psych eval 1/31. I am nervous because I have Bioolar I. I have read some of the threads, but still would like to hear from other bipolar patients about their experience during the process. I am fearful of being denied because of my diagnosis. I see a therapist and a psychiatrist and am stable in my medications. I have been overweight my entire life. When I lose weight, I lose it well. I can’t seem to keep it off though.
Hello and welcome! I’m not bipolar and never really had depression or anything like it, but I’m gonna be honest with you - there is a very big mental component to this process. I was reading about it, but totally underestimated it. I actually found this group in the middle of the night while having a mental breakdown. Between changes your body is going through, food deprivation and stress, I was in a very dark place and that’s not even something that ever happened to me. I was crying all the time for no reason and had these weird waves of panic.
I think your doctor probably knows best if this surgery is right for you, but I can confirm that it may be tough mentally.

Back