• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Birding and photography

WazzuCoug

Photography has been my main hobby for a long time, but last year I got into birding, so I often combine the two. As I lose weight I plan on going on some more strenuous hikes in areas where I want to see birds.

Photography has been my main hobby for a long time, but last year I got into birding, so I often combine the two. As I lose weight I plan on going on some more strenuous hikes in areas where I want to see birds.
View attachment 2972
View attachment 2973
View attachment 2974
Is that a Yellow Breasted Blue Tit? Even though you identify as being from WSU, that that bird isn't native to Pullman or Cheney. As far as I know it's native to Arizona. But you've never said where you're living now so I'm just guessing.

Is that a Yellow Breasted Blue Tit? Even though you identify as being from WSU, that that bird isn't native to Pullman or Cheney. As far as I know it's native to Arizona. But you've never said where you're living now so I'm just guessing.
From top to bottom: Red-breasted nuthatch, Bullock's Oriole, California Scrub Jay

I grew up in SE Washington and went to WSU, but I currently live in a rural area south of Portland, Oregon. The nuthatch and scrub jay were taken on my property, the oriole was taken at Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in eastern Oregon.

I love watching birds. I grew up hunting and I had plenty of enjoyment just watching birds in the duck boat or sitting in my deer tree stand. I was always surprised at how much activity there is on a duck pond in the morning just sitting in a boat, parked in the reads laying in camoflage watching everything go about their day. We would have beaver, muskrats, ducks etc swim right up to the back of the boat. Or red wind black birds, yellow headed blackbirds etc come and land in the boat and simply check us out, share a cracker or two with a sip of water.

The deer stand I would often spend all day in. Sometimes not see anything but I was lucky enough to have an endangered black footed ferret climb a tree and sit in my lap for a quick snooze one day. Pair of cardinals would hang out so often in one of my stands one season. I'll never forget when the robins were migrating I had maybe 20 or more just land and line up shoulder to shoulder around the top safety rail of my stand looking at me. It for sure was an Alfred Hitchcock moment that only lasted maybe 10 minutes of me not moving or hardly blinking. Sparrows were always entertaining in the afternoon as they pass through like a gang of mini brawlers as they squabble with each other and make a lot of noise. Blue Jays were always annoying with their loud call and they are just a mean ass bird to other birds. Finches of a variety were always quiet and polite. Cedar Wax wings were always a hoot to watch as they show up to their cranberry tree. In winter they are fermenting on the tree and the Cedar Waxwings are usually loaded in the tree pretty good. I'd watch them slowly get inebriated as their jumping from branch to new branch would get slower and clumsy until they had enough and barely managed to fly away as they were obviously too drunk to fly.

Some awesome stuff to see if you find the right spot just to plop down away from people and watch everything around you for a few hours.

Back