• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Blood Pressure Medication

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nana 55

Hello,
My gastric sleeve procedure in early June 2014 resulted in a weight loss of 27 lbs. within two months. As a result, the doctor recommended discontinuation of amiloride-hcl + hctz which controls my blood pressure and contains a diuretic. Since then, I have gained 4 lbs. My ankles are swollen by the end of the day. I am thinking that this is fluid retention. Has anyone else experienced this? Should I be concerned?
Thanks for your thoughts,
Nana55:confused:

Hello,
My gastric sleeve procedure in early June 2014 resulted in a weight loss of 27 lbs. within two months. As a result, the doctor recommended discontinuation of amiloride-hcl + hctz which controls my blood pressure and contains a diuretic. Since then, I have gained 4 lbs. My ankles are swollen by the end of the day. I am thinking that this is fluid retention. Has anyone else experienced this? Should I be concerned?
Thanks for your thoughts,
Nana55:confused:

Hi Nana! Congratulations on doing so well after surgery!

Yes, I have been told to discontinue my Lasix because, when I was in the hospital for my gallbladder, they decided I didn't need it anymore. The minute I quit taking it, my ankles became swollen and I gained a few pounds back. Luckily my primary care doctor put me back on the Lasix. Call your doctor and tell him what's going on and tell him you need your medicine back or another diuretic. Water retention can be dangerous because if water builds up in your ankles, it can also build up around your heart and lungs.

Cheyenne :cool:

Thank you Cheyenne,

I will call my primary care doctor first thing tomorrow. My cardiologist was not supportive as I planned for this surgery or after the surgery although he did the paperwork and helped me get approved. I was surprised when he stopped the blood pressure medicine so quickly.

Nana55

Thanks Cheyenne,
My primary doctor put me back on the blood pressure medicine right away, problem solved. :)
Best wishes,
Nana 55

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back