• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

BMI from AARP

FYI

20210424_170703.png

It's unfortunate that they still imply the BMI has some value. BMI provides value to insurance companies and lazy doctors who don't really want to investigate their patient's true health.

3 reasons why BMI is not an accurate measure of your health or body weight — and what to use instead - 3 reasons BMI is not an accurate measure of health.

Millions of Americans Currently Have Their Health Misclassified on the Basis of BMI - Is the BMI accurate? Everything Wrong with the BMI.

Calculate your relative fat mass (RFM) a more accurate indicator of body composition: Relative Fat Mass (RFM) Calculator

According to the fat mass calculator, if I, at 5'6" had a 30 inch waist, I'd still be obese. With the amount of skin I have from my 50 years of actual obesity, 30 inches is not happening. My vertebrae are literally sticking out of my back and I am (finally) within what is considered a "normal" weight range. So, I would suggest we stop obsessing over random numbers and just stay focused on getting to a weight that we can be healthy and happy. This is not to suggest that all the numbers they give us have no value. But I personally will not be finding more reasons to wonder if I'm failing.

According to the fat mass calculator, if I, at 5'6" had a 30 inch waist, I'd still be obese. With the amount of skin I have from my 50 years of actual obesity, 30 inches is not happening. My vertebrae are literally sticking out of my back and I am (finally) within what is considered a "normal" weight range. So, I would suggest we stop obsessing over random numbers and just stay focused on getting to a weight that we can be healthy and happy. This is not to suggest that all the numbers they give us have no value. But I personally will not be finding more reasons to wonder if I'm failing.
I agree...I do currently have a 30" waist if not a bit smaller however I still weigh 167 pounds on a 5'3 frame and am considered obese. BMI is a joke and always will be a joke. Health isn't about a dumb number somebody put out there as a one size fits all category the the bulk of people would never fit into.

Back