• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Booze?!?

I am wondering how liquor affects everyone. I have had a small glass of wine with absolutely no effects at all. Saturday, I drank about half of a bottle of champagne. I did end up with a slight buzz for less than an hour and then it was just GONE. I had heard that liquor affects you more quickly and is more potent after WLS, so I have really been avoiding it. But I'm finding it doesn't affect me much at all. It still has too many empty calories to have regularly and I'm more of a special occasion drinker anyway. But I'm curious if that is something anyone else has experienced.

I am wondering how liquor affects everyone. I have had a small glass of wine with absolutely no effects at all. Saturday, I drank about half of a bottle of champagne. I did end up with a slight buzz for less than an hour and then it was just GONE. I had heard that liquor affects you more quickly and is more potent after WLS, so I have really been avoiding it. But I'm finding it doesn't affect me much at all. It still has too many empty calories to have regularly and I'm more of a special occasion drinker anyway. But I'm curious if that is something anyone else has experienced.
Booze hits me like a sledge hammer! But it takes me about 2 hours just to drink a beer. I have a fifth of scotch under the end table next to my couch and once in a while I'll pour out a shot and sip it while swishing it around in my mouth. It reminds me of planting my nose deeply into a bouquet of flowers.

I have had friends over for casual dinners and even though I drank less than the others, I got mad drunk in no time. Sad, because i love alcohol.

Sugar affects me more than booze. I don’t crave sugar anymore because I have had dumping syndrome when I tried a small piece of my son’s birthday cake and another time when I ate about 3 ounces of apple crisp. Thankfully I can enjoy coffee, wine, and an occasional Guinness.

Well I had a little bit of red wine, like I said I would do today. I probably only had about 2 ounces - maybe 3? (My wine glasses are huge.) The only negative thing that I can say is I wanted to eat more. I don't really think I felt the alcohol any worse than normal, but that could be different with hard liquor. I'm fine with just sticking to wine in small amounts and I usually only on vacation or special occasions. It was good to test it out at home instead of out somewhere.

One beer and I feel it, one shot and I have a pretty good buzz. Be very careful because we all have had a food addiction, and we don't want to switch it over to alcohol
Speaking of switching... as i understand it, alcoholics are co-addicted to sugar, the most important ingredient in creating alcohol. And smokers switch to food, but i think there are a lot of dynamics there.

Personally, i have no alternative to my food addiction. I probably fantasize about food half the day. I used to think this would be torture if I ever stopped overeating. But it's not. It actually helps me create, which is something I do as a writer or an artist. I make beautiful food to satisfy my mental creativity.

I had my first beer since surgery a couple of months ago I got a buzz really quick after just a few sips and I was sipping slowly. I found a beer that I drink that’s nonalcoholic called Bud light Zero . Almost tastes like the real thing and you don’t get drunk drinking it . One or two is enough for me though

I had my first beer since surgery a couple of months ago I got a buzz really quick after just a few sips and I was sipping slowly. I found a beer that I drink that’s nonalcoholic called Bud light Zero . Almost tastes like the real thing and you don’t get drunk drinking it . One or two is enough for me though
We just found Bud Zero at Kroger's, and now our local store no longer carries it. My fiance is in recovery & said it was pretty good. Luckily we can also get Heineken 0.0 and Old Milwaukee near beer (0 alcohol). I know he doesn't love the taste, but it still helps him. Luckily I don't drink so I won't have to deal with the changing effects of alcohol after surgery.

Back