• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Bowel movements have changed concernedi

I had surgery 3 months ago. One Bypass the other 2 days later was to repair my bowels. Since I never had a normal one as long as I can remember. I sometimes take metamucil. Either way it is formed & seems to be way to much for the amount I am taking in. My weight loss is good & I exercise a lot. Just having bowel trouble almost all my life, is this normal? Hopefully someone can identify with this. Thanks for your timeP
Hugs,
Angle

Angie,

Not just the things you eat are in your BM's. There are digestive juices and bile added to all of that. As long as they are NOT black and tarry or green and runny or bloody I don't think you have anything to worry about. But again I could be all wet. I tend more toward constipation which is normal for a high protein diet.

High Protein diets do change the way your bowels move. Your stomach is smaller and different then it was before. If you have any concerns talk to your Bariatric Team about it

Carol

What about greasy stools or uncontrollable stools? I know it sounds gross, but these are issues I am having lately. The greasy or oily looking stools have been since surgery back in June, just thought it was normal. However, sometimes I cannot control them and worry if something is wrong. I had a friend who had the bypass years ago and she said they damaged something and she cannot control her bowels at all. Any suggestions?? Do i need to worry about this?? Should I be making an appointment to see the team?

Well I called the nurse and she didn't seem to worried,however said that she would discuss with doctor. And I was to call back in a few days if it continued. Since I had bowel surgery after WLS it's been pretty much this way. So if they aren't concerned I am not. I see him in Feb. Everything else is fine. As for you having trouble since surgery like you have, call your doctor. Maybe something you can to help the problem. Let me know what he says.
Hugs
Angle

I will give them a call tomorrow. Maybe I can get in next week. I know it seems like a long time, but I can only go on certain days of the week. I even checked my book and there wasn't anything there about that.

Back