• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

BRAIN OVERLOAD!

Kcuster83

I have been so prepared through every step of the way, until now. I am overloaded with information. My pre-surgery apt. is less than a month away and I just got an overload of information. I feel like I am going to forget something, and I am an OCD level of organized kind of person. I am going to order my pre-op diet protein soon because shipping gets delayed a lot these days. I am allowed to have certain food during the pre-op diet also so I figured out what i would actually eat off of the list and calculated how many servings of each I would need and now I need to make a list so when the time comes, I know exactly what I need to buy. My nutritionist said POST-op protein is of my choice, but the first ingredient should be "whey protein isolate". Ok no problem, but then I started looking and there is no READY TO DRINK protein that does. The same brands of powder do though. I even went to the UNJURY website and their pre-made drinks do not have it in the ingredients either. So, I am thinking the pre-made drinks don't reflect the same ingredients?? (I will ask next time I talk to her). Have to get my birth control switched because it can't be Estrogen based and mine is. And I have to do it ASAP as this needs to happen at least 60 days BEFORE surgery. My other meds I will just stop taking because none of them are "health" related. GERD pills are the main thing, and we are in hopes that the BYPASS eliminates that anyway so I guess we will find out right away. I could go on and on, but you get the point and most of you already know all this. I needed to rant. Thanks

Last edited:
Rant away! I looked up ready made whey protein isolate and couldn’t find it either. But my nutritionist told me to invest in small amounts of the powder because you don’t know if you’ll like the brand. I got unflavored. But case in point, I got 3 cases of wild cherry protein water because I thought “how can you mess up cherry?!” Well this company managed to and now I’m chugging this disgusting product. It does seem overwhelming, but I find it helps to break it down into manageable actions and I feel more confident. Any day now (wistful thinking) I can get the call to schedule surgery. I worry about working during recovery because I just started this job and I’m teleworking til April. I worry about my underlying health issues as well but that’s a roll of the dice. I wish this part was the hardest and then smooth sailing. Probably not☺️ But you’ll get there and just continue to have faith in your plans and determination!

Yes! I remember thinking they made it all sound so simple during my 6 months of appointments and then BAM! My pre-op class. 3 hours of being bombarded with information. I am also super organized; my weekly menu is on an excel spreadsheet! So, I totally get that you're a little freaked about getting organized with all the new info. Make a list, that should calm you down LOL

I used the protein powders exclusively after surgery. I didn't really love the flavor/texture of the premade protein shakes. I know people like the ready-made but for me, I was eventually going to have to take time to prepare my meals, so throwing some powder and other items in a blender was no biggie. And you will find lots of great protein shake/smoothie recipes online.

Yes! I remember thinking they made it all sound so simple during my 6 months of appointments and then BAM! My pre-op class. 3 hours of being bombarded with information. I am also super organized; my weekly menu is on an excel spreadsheet! So, I totally get that you're a little freaked about getting organized with all the new info. Make a list, that should calm you down LOL

I used the protein powders exclusively after surgery. I didn't really love the flavor/texture of the premade protein shakes. I know people like the ready-made but for me, I was eventually going to have to take time to prepare my meals, so throwing some powder and other items in a blender was no biggie. And you will find lots of great protein shake/smoothie recipes online.
Yes, I have lists. haha I like lists and spreadsheets. I actually have trouble with the powder, I think it always taste gritty. But I will get through it for the PRE-OP because I have to use a choice of 2 offered powders. I am also going to try to mix them in a blender rather than a "blender ball cup" and see if that helps it blend up smoother. But for back up after surgery I prefer the premade. It's not even a matter of laziness, just a texture thing for me. (Not insinuating you were calling me lazy) :)

Girl, I know how you feel! I don’t even have a surgery date yet, but I was totally overwhelmed after reading my binder of material last night. It has a pre-op checklist with everything I need to do and purchase before surgery, from protein shakes to antibacterial soap! Good grief, I need a secretary to keep me on top of all this stuff.

Girl, I know how you feel! I don’t even have a surgery date yet, but I was totally overwhelmed after reading my binder of material last night. It has a pre-op checklist with everything I need to do and purchase before surgery, from protein shakes to antibacterial soap! Good grief, I need a secretary to keep me on top of all this stuff.
For sure. Once I stepped back and took it step my step I am fine now. Just stressed at that particular moment. haha

I know this is a semi- light-hearted discussion, but please be thankful to have too much info versus what dianeseattle went through 14 years ago. She had very little pre-surgery education (I think), more like wham bam here's your surgery thank you ma'am! o_O:oops:
I agree. I am fine now, I re-read everything and organized my brain. But I have saw on here a few times where people seem surprised by some information like they never heard it. We received a "passport" which was a checklist of everything we needed to do and when. Then at each class we got a work book with all the information about that class and "resources" for more information. I really like this bariatric center. Of course, I don't really have another personal comparison. But, I am more than satisfied.

I know this is a semi- light-hearted discussion, but please be thankful to have too much info versus what dianeseattle went through 14 years ago. She had very little pre-surgery education (I think), more like wham bam here's your surgery thank you ma'am! o_O:oops:
Right, Karen. The interesting thing to me is that if I'd been a member of this group prior to surgery, I think I would have been terrified to go through it!

Versions of this surgery have been around since the Sixties. But medical science has improved beyond belief.

Of course, my experience was equivalent to having, for instance, a hysterectomy, which I'd done in 2000. Three days in the hospital, bedrest at home for another week, the anesthesia/painkiller hypno-shuffle, seeing through new eyes when all that wore off...

I think newbies are so lucky, even though it's a little sudden, because they're only indisposed briefly. It's more like seeing a dentist than having a surgical procedure.

Still, because the medical side is so informed, the bedside manner can suffer. Many people have shared feeling alienated on first visit, and I feel for them. Trust your instincts. If your doc is brusque and distant, can you deal with that?

The mental aspects are really big and important. The procedure is life-changing. And unlike diets, your before- and after-shocks are sudden, with huge hormonal changes.

I got lucky because my journey took place in a university. Everyone was still learning and very interested in every tiny detail of how I was feeling. And I was asked to participate in a national university study for seven years after.

But what I've learned in this online support group has been amazing. Let me thank you, personally, for what you all share.

I was overwhelmed yesterday when the nurse called and scheduled 6 appointments in the next month. I sat with my head in my hands for a few minutes and then said to myself “Self, THIS is what you’ve been waiting for! Just take it one day at a time.” And now I’m good and so appreciative that things are moving at a quick pace. I wake up each morning and just focus on TODAY and what I need to do. Feeling blessed that the journey has begun.

Glad you reigned it in! You got this! I was given a "passport" with a check list of appointments and when they were. It was very helpful. It even told you when to schedule the appointments. I did have all my classes scheduled at once though and just wrote it all into my passport. It has came in quite handy through all of this.

I have been so prepared through every step of the way, until now. I am overloaded with information. My pre-surgery apt. is less than a month away and I just got an overload of information. I feel like I am going to forget something, and I am an OCD level of organized kind of person. I am going to order my pre-op diet protein soon because shipping gets delayed a lot these days. I am allowed to have certain food during the pre-op diet also so I figured out what i would actually eat off of the list and calculated how many servings of each I would need and now I need to make a list so when the time comes, I know exactly what I need to buy. My nutritionist said POST-op protein is of my choice, but the first ingredient should be "whey protein isolate". Ok no problem, but then I started looking and there is no READY TO DRINK protein that does. The same brands of powder do though. I even went to the UNJURY website and their pre-made drinks do not have it in the ingredients either. So, I am thinking the pre-made drinks don't reflect the same ingredients?? (I will ask next time I talk to her). Have to get my birth control switched because it can't be Estrogen based and mine is. And I have to do it ASAP as this needs to happen at least 60 days BEFORE surgery. My other meds I will just stop taking because none of them are "health" related. GERD pills are the main thing, and we are in hopes that the BYPASS eliminates that anyway so I guess we will find out right away. I could go on and on, but you get the point and most of you already know all this. I needed to rant. Thanks

LOL ranting is good. I was also overwhelmed, brain burn out. I like Premier Protein chocolate powder. I can mix my own and it taste like a milk shake lol. I made some bone broth and will add plain whey to that for soup, I guess its ok lol. We will get through this. I think about chewing too much or too fast.

Back