• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Brand new to site got nutrition questions

donnayork

Started the journey and so look forward to getting advise. I have a upper Gi test left and my visit with nutrition,are hoping to schedule surgery for feburary. Dr ask that I cut out straches right now but confused if that means whole wheats also. I'm not having pasta but I am still having whole grain wheat bread every once and a while (no more that once a week) and I have sweet potato patties with some of my meals instead of white potato's. Does anyone know if that is ok or do I need to stop the bread and sweet potato's. I dont get to meet with nutrition till the 7th of November. I am trying to start healhy habits now so it wont be so hard later. I have already started a meal journal. Will this help with my nutrition appt.? I have already had all my other test done and my psychology interview. It only took 30 minutes and she cleared me on the spot. I am trying to put the changes in now. Any advise on the food, I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing cause I dont want to keep myself from being able to get my surgery its way to important. I am neverous about the nutrition appt. I'm just afarid I guess that will tell me I am doing everything wrong,does everyone meet with nutrition once or twice? very worried that I eatting all wrong so any advise would be great. thank you.

Donnayork, it's great that you have started to make changes in your diet. The nutritionist is there to educate you, not as a policeman to bump you off the surgery list. The nutritionist will be able to answer all of your questions and you can make adjustments to your diet as needed.
The meal journal is also a good idea and has helped me tremendously. Are you using any online tools? I use MyFitnessPal.com and it calculates calories and fat grams, protein and carbs so that you can see exactly what you are consuming.
I had to have 6 group nutrition classes, then before surgery there will be a 4-hour class, but I don't think that one is just nutrition.
Good luck on your journey!

I'm from Tennessee, I'm going thru the military system for my surgery my husband is active duty. They do things a little different. My understanding was I will see the nutritionist 2 times. I just don't want to be doing anything that will hurt me after surgery. Thanks for the info.

Hi Donna, Welcome. I am sure your doctor means all starches but realistically it is very difficult to cut out all starches pre surgery post surgery it is very easy. In my opinion, and that is all it is my opinion, stick with healthy alternatives like bakes whole wheats and corn products, no fried foods, stay away from prossesed surgars, eat foods high in protien with a mix of fruits and veggies until you can see your nutritionist and get a good meal plan lined out for your pre surgery meals leading up to your surgery. Let us know how your appointment goes. :cool: Tom

I had my surgery in May 2012, also a gastric bypass. I still have access to the nutritionist and I can e-mail questions whenever I have them. There is no harm in asking for an information packet from the nutritionist ahead of time. Meal journal will help you forever! Though I don't take the advice and I don't keep a food journal. If you have other issues, food journals are invaluable.

Starches: corn, peas (!yes! shocked me), bananas, rice, potatoes, bread, cereal, grains—pretty much anything that affects blood sugar. Even whole wheat products are starches, so limiting this until you see the nutritionist is smart. Legumes (dried lentils, etc.) are great.

You're not eating all wrong unless you're still eating large amounts of food at a time. Try to divide your meals into smaller meals that are spread throughout the day because this is what they'll tell you to do before and after surgery.

As your stomach shrinks from several smaller meals per day, you won't feel so hungry even though you're eating the same or less food.

Back