• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Bread I can eat suggestions

I don't think there's a substitute for bread, but if you break down its nutrients, you can find other foods that are equivalent. You might also find exactly which ingredient is what you're really allergic to. As far as sugar, no biggie, I think. But can you eat honey or one of the dozen other natural sugars?

Maybe it's yeast that's troubling you. Have you tried pancakes or waffles or unleavened bread or tortillas?

Honestly, I'd suggest waiting a few months and trying again.
Agreed, While I can eat bread now, it took nearly a year. I think a lot has to do with construction of the bread itself. Surgeons say stay away because it can dough back up in your stomach and cause blockage and you have to be especially careful of that while your stomach heals. I did not drink alcohol, beer, carbonated anything, have a cigar, bread etc for at least a year while my stomach healed.

I guess maybe the first bread was maybe a slice of thin crust pizza (made the crust myself). Tried common store bought bread and felt drained. Found later with a crusty baguette, that I could dip with olive oil, balsamic and pepper and settled fine. Artesian style breads or home baked naturally fermented (sour doughs), brioche, are probably the easiest while store bought cheap commercial (enriched) bread in a bag seems the most filling and difficult to process. In fact I just tossed a loaf of Sara Lee I used for a pesto grilled cheese that I simply could not eat fast enough before molding. I just had this morning a toasted english muffin with butter melted then peanut butter or sugar free preserve added to soften it and digests easy. So when OP is ready, maybe start with something that helps keep it moist and stay away from those cheaper loaf breads and buns and target the crusty stuff and Sour Dough. I think that fluffy heavily refined stuff just does not sit or process well through the gut.

I wish I could find the documentary where there is a guy in upstate New York selling smoked eel he traps in the river and bakes a naturally fermenting bread that even people that have gluten intolerance have no problem eating.

Last edited:
I don't think there's a substitute for bread, but if you break down its nutrients, you can find other foods that are equivalent. You might also find exactly which ingredient is what you're really allergic to. As far as sugar, no biggie, I think. But can you eat honey or one of the dozen other natural sugars?

Maybe it's yeast that's troubling you. Have you tried pancakes or waffles or unleavened bread or tortillas?
Tortillas no gluten free tortillas okay I have never had issues with gluten until now!!

Hi Ronie, I am 3 months out from my surgery too. While I have tried bread and salad and found no gastric distress (in small portions), I am now having problems feeling ill after eating chicken and salmon, and I had no problems with either prior to my surgery. I also need to be careful with my coffee intake now. I am laying off chicken and salmon and decided to try both again in a few weeks to see if I can handle them better at that time.

Mam, my own experience with meat of all kinds was how it was cooked made a huge difference in how well I tolerate it. So, a few things to consider:

Have you changed the way you're preparing chicken to salmon? If so, you may need to eat a smaller amount when its cooked that way. (Grilled meat sits harder for me and so I lower my portion by an ounce.)

Are you eating faster? Are you fully chewing your food 20-30 times? As I got more comfortable eating, I caught myself eating a little too fast and not thoroughly chewing. It can be easy to forget once your stomach really heals, as the discomfort is no longer a reminder.

It is very smart to take a break and revisit in a few weeks. Sometimes it's just the thing!

I was the same with chicken and salmon. Though I can eat both now I think they can easily be dry and the stringy fibers do not settle right. For me they have to be super moist and chicken breast is rare for me to eat. I go for the dark meat in particular the thighs and no breading. Salmon I have to really stand and watch closely and carefully pick my recipes. Doesn’t mean baking all the time and mushy salmon. You can still put a nice crust on it but you want to be careful with the entire process. One of the big things I do is use cast iron (radiates heat deeper into the meat for more even cooking and using a lid to trap all the moisture possible.

I am almost 5 months post Gasteric Bypass and also still avoid bread, pasta, pizza dough, rice, and noodles. Feel funny after I eat any of those items. I can tolerate light crackers like the Melba Thins. But I do however, "treat" myslef to one toast on Sunday with my coffee. It is heavily buttered and I cut off the end crust. That is about the only bread that I can tolerate tight now. I convinved myself it is a "treat" so maybe that is why I can eat it without difficulty. ;) Funny though, I really have no desire to eat what I can not eat anyway. Started eating salads and fruits finally and loving it! Fruits never tasted so sweet before!

Vomit from? Like the stomach forces it or a taste dislike or like it's stuck?

I couldn't eat bread before 6 months. Even then it has been extreamly rare since. Generally I do low carb wraps, or well I did. When I did eat bread it was the 45 cal bread. It's a lot lighter.

Ronie, you're not alone. I think everyone here has a food they cannot eat post-op. Is there some reason why it bothers you especially that you can't eat bread?

Back