• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Brown colored urine

Hi there, glad to find this group. I am near the end of my 2nd week post-op. Since surgery my urine is a brown color. Very dark. I urinate just fine with no pain. But the color should be yellow not brown. Anyone else have or had this problem? Thanks

-------------------------------------------------------------UPDATE 8-14-14----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since my post I have discovered that I had a blockage in my bile duct. This past week I had a surgical procedure performed called a PCT where they inserted a drain into the bile duct that collects the bile which was built up in my body. It was the reaction to the bile that was making my urine brown. Since the liver could not process the bile it had nowhere to go but into the bloodstream and then back out through the urinary track. My blood counts were off the chart. No wonder as I had jaundice since leaving the hospital for the original RNY op or 24 days. They installed a drain (which is hanging down my side collecting ugly looking bile in a 600 ml bag) to drain out the bile build u and eventually the normal amount.

Right after the PCT I was draining out 1.5 litres of bile each day for 3 days and it has now dropped to about 1 litre. My body was polluted. I had no energy or strength. I still feel lethargic but do feel an improvement. They are not sure why the bile duct is blocked. They said it is either cancer, tumor, stone or scarring. Mind you I did not have this issue prior to surgery. Anyhow they go back in and do another PCT in about 10 days and if needed place a stint in the duct to keep it open. I am saying prayers and keeping my fingers crossed. Best wishes to all of you.

Last edited:
I did not but you should call your doctors office and ask to speak to the nurse to make sure everything is ok.

The color can also indicate dehydration as well as a possible Liver, Pancreas, or Gall bladder issue

Call your Dr. ASAP

The Surgeon called me today. He said that the results show I have jaundice. He is having an MRI done to determine why? I will keep you posted. Thanks for the feedback.

Back