• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Butternut Squash Soup - Full Liquid or Puree Friendly

1 T Olive Oil
1 Onion, Diced
2 T Minced Garlic
1 med. Butternut Squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
5-10 Baby Carrots, Diced
2 C. Chicken Broth
1 t. Rubbed Sage
1 t. Garam Marsala
1/4 t. Cayenne
1/2 C. low fat Milk

Put all ingredients, except milk, into the slow cooker. Cook on low for 5-6 hours. Add Milk. Using an immersion blender blend soup into desired consistency.

This has a very mild flavor, which is great for a new pouch still in the liquid/puree phases of eating.

You can, of course, make this stove top or instant pot. As you all know by now, I LOVE my slow cooker.
You can roast the squash, onion and carrots first for an even sweeter flavor. That's really only worth the effort if you're making it on the stovetop.
I garnished Dave's with a swirl of light sour cream and a pinch of extra Garam Marsala. I garnished mine with greek yogurt, Siracha and pepitas for crunch.

Looks delicious, Missy. FYI to noncooks out there: Trader Joe's makes the same soup and it's shelf-stable for years. If you don't cook but can reheat like crazy, that's for you.

And you can freeze measured portions so you don't have to finish it all right away. I've seen ice cube trays that come in four half-cup blocks.

I freeze my soups in Ziploc bags. Lay flat while freezing and they take up hardly any space and are stackable. Pick whatever size is convenient for your family size.

Reminder to all the non-cooks out there
: Please check the labels on any and all canned/packaged goods. Not only for calories but for fat, sugar and sodium content.

I was looking for some canned/jarred/boxed soups, since Dave is still on liquid diet. The sodium content is OUT OF THIS WORLD!! And while the calories may seem on point, they really aren't so great either. The soup above had 63 calories per cup before I added garnishes. Although I do not have a Trader Joes and so, don't know their nutritional info.

Oh my goodness, I wasn't even thinking about nutritional information. Find it here:

I also should have said I'm positive Missy's is better. I'm dying to make it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220302-182152-700.png
    Screenshot_20220302-182152-700.png
    482.1 KB · Views: 75
I always wanted to try butternut squash soup. I might give this a go! I already prepped for split pea soup and black bean soup for my pureed phase so when I do my final grocery run next week before surgery, I think I will have to get the stuff and try this out.

PS. I freeze a lot in ziplocs too! The laying flat is nice and you just write right on the bag and just chuck it when you eat it. Convenient, and I am all for that. haha

Back