• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Bypass or Sleeve?

Mzsundaze

I only have a few appointments left until surgery and by my next scheduled appointment which is Tuesday, I have to decide whether I want the sleeve or the bypass. I have researched both for over a year now and can’t seem to feel 100 percent sure with either one. I am leaning more towards bypass but I like how less invasive the sleeve is. What helped some of you decide which one to go with?

Hi Mzsundaze. I had a hard time with the decision between the two surgeries as well. But ultimately I chose the RNY. I wasn't sure if I was 100% okay with my choice until it hit me. I know that isn't helpful but one day I was going over the pros and cons and just realized, my gut told me to go with the RYN for a reason and I just had to trust that my instincts were pointing me where I needed to go. It was definitely an ah-ha moment. I have been comfortable with my decision ever since. You mentioned that you like that the sleeve is less invasive. Does your surgeon do the RYN as an open procedure or is it laparoscopic? Is there anything else that you like about the sleeve vs the RNY? It is a hard decision but I am happy to help talk with you about it and hopefully get you to the decision that is right for you!

I am having the same issue. I am diabetic so the bypass would be better, but I have arthritis so they say that I should do the sleeve because of the medication I take. Do you have diabetes too? They say it goes away instantly with the bypass. I only have one more dietician appointment before they submit it to insurance.

I have diabetes and arthritis also. I had the bypass 7 weeks ago. The diabetes was scarier to me so I chose to address that. My sugars have been 100-105 so I am off those meds and feel I made the right decision for me. I am still on some arthritis meds, remicade and methotrexate and those are ok for bypass patients.
I was set on the sleeve for about the first 70% of the pre-op journey and then switched to the bypass towards the end.

I have diabetes and arthritis also. I had the bypass 7 weeks ago. The diabetes was scarier to me so I chose to address that. My sugars have been 100-105 so I am off those meds and feel I made the right decision for me. I am still on some arthritis meds, remicade and methotrexate and those are ok for bypass patients.
I was set on the sleeve for about the first 70% of the pre-op journey and then switched to the bypass towards the end.
Thank you so much for your response..

I only have a few appointments left until surgery and by my next scheduled appointment which is Tuesday, I have to decide whether I want the sleeve or the bypass. I have researched both for over a year now and can’t seem to feel 100 percent sure with either one. I am leaning more towards bypass but I like how less invasive the sleeve is. What helped some of you decide which one to go with?
I am in exactly the same boat! I have a failed Lapband (I was successful for About seven years until I developed a Esophageal dysmotility and a second band slip. First band slip was within the first year Post-op).

I am also just stuck about what to do. I have researched it to death I have talked to people. But I’m just on the fence

Also I am a lifer on blood thinners so I am a bit more concerned about the bypass for that reason.

Welcome to the group. They gave me a big shot of Heparin in my abdomen before they did the RYGB surgery on me. So I understand what you're saying about blood thinners but I don't think it will be an issue if you choose RYGB. It's only my opinion but RYGB is still the gold standard and even if there's a bit more of a real recovery feeling from a real operation, I just seem to hear a lot about recovery from the sleeve that doesn't make me feel enthusiastic about it.

of course there are a of course there are a lot of factors and I think the biggest factor is how obese you are. If there is a lot of stuff going on with fatty tissue in your abdomen, I think it's would be way better to have an open procedure. I am probably a little bit of a skeptic about doing surgery by using cameras and long tools to dig around in there. But I just know that over the last 40 odd years the RYGB surgery has been perfected. I had it 12 years ago, I am still maintaining my weight loss and I have had very few problems since I recovered from surgery.

I just realized that I let my 12-year anniversary slip by. It was August 20th just a few days ago. I have never made a decision about my life that has been better than that one. I went from being a social outcast with no self-esteem to being an athletic outdoorsy person who loves to hike mile high mountains.

I feel like I decided to have the surgery, I had it, and from there on it was just about reaching my goal weight which took 14 months. Then the surgery was did not affect me and I was all done with being fat. And of course everything that was wrong with my health improved and I became so much happier. Click on my profile photo and check out my pictures if you want to see my before and after. To me RYGB means "forever."

I am also just stuck about what to do. I have researched it to death I have talked to people. But I’m just on the fence

Hi Futureshrink & welcome.

Are you studying to become a therapist? We could use someone in our group with a psych background. ;)

I hope you find the clarity you need in order to make the best decision for yourself. Has your surgeon expressed greater concerns for you about either surgery?

If your thoughts have you going around and around, perhaps try to meditate on it? Trying to quiet the noise of your thoughts may allow you to feel what your body and soul are telling you. Just a thought. :)

I had laparoscopic RNY in March and must say that recovery was a lot easier than I'd expected. The first few days were painful, then I was just achy and exhausted. The exhaustion is what I remember most.

Reading posts from all my friends on this site, I wouldn't say that either procedure is more dangerous. Complications and slower recovery seem to be based on the condition of your body pre-op.

I wish you the best of luck, please keep us posted. :)

Hi Futureshrink & welcome.

Are you studying to become a therapist? We could use someone in our group with a psych background. ;)

I hope you find the clarity you need in order to make the best decision for yourself. Has your surgeon expressed greater concerns for you about either surgery?

If your thoughts have you going around and around, perhaps try to meditate on it? Trying to quiet the noise of your thoughts may allow you to feel what your body and soul are telling you. Just a thought. :)

I had laparoscopic RNY in March and must say that recovery was a lot easier than I'd expected. The first few days were painful, then I was just achy and exhausted. The exhaustion is what I remember most.

Reading posts from all my friends on this site, I wouldn't say that either procedure is more dangerous. Complications and slower recovery seem to be based on the condition of your body pre-op.

I wish you the best of luck, please keep us posted. :)

Lol...I am actually a therapist. I picked the name when I was in grad school and I’ve just kept it.

I think where I am stuck is I usually get a feel for what direction, but I am not getting any help from the universe. I’m struggling with overthinking it for sure.

Ugh.....

Welcome to the group. They gave me a big shot of Heparin in my abdomen before they did the RYGB surgery on me. So I understand what you're saying about blood thinners but I don't think it will be an issue if you choose RYGB. It's only my opinion but RYGB is still the gold standard and even if there's a bit more of a real recovery feeling from a real operation, I just seem to hear a lot about recovery from the sleeve that doesn't make me feel enthusiastic about it.

of course there are a of course there are a lot of factors and I think the biggest factor is how obese you are. If there is a lot of stuff going on with fatty tissue in your abdomen, I think it's would be way better to have an open procedure. I am probably a little bit of a skeptic about doing surgery by using cameras and long tools to dig around in there. But I just know that over the last 40 odd years the RYGB surgery has been perfected. I had it 12 years ago, I am still maintaining my weight loss and I have had very few problems since I recovered from surgery.

I just realized that I let my 12-year anniversary slip by. It was August 20th just a few days ago. I have never made a decision about my life that has been better than that one. I went from being a social outcast with no self-esteem to being an athletic outdoorsy person who loves to hike mile high mountains.

I feel like I decided to have the surgery, I had it, and from there on it was just about reaching my goal weight which took 14 months. Then the surgery was did not affect me and I was all done with being fat. And of course everything that was wrong with my health improved and I became so much happier. Click on my profile photo and check out my pictures if you want to see my before and after. To me RYGB means "forever."

The interesting part is I’m not freaked out by the surgery itself, but am about the choice if that makes sense. I’ve already grieved my relationship with food and was successful with weight loss for about 7 years when the Lapband worked. I am comfortable with smaller portions etc because I’ve been doing that for years.

I am just so unsure about what is best. I have talked to so many people who have had one or the other or converted to the bypass or had all three starting with the Lapband.

I had a band in 2013, issues with it from the start, and converted to sleeve two years later when I had erosion. I opted for sleeve because it was less invasive, however, the surgeon glossed over the very high incidence of GERD/severe reflux long term with the sleeve. I was in the majority who have it, and after looking what that does to your body and the side effects of being on meds to control long term, I proceeded to convert to full bypass last Friday. I felt that I had researched at the time of my first conversion, but I did not go down the rabbit hole of each possible side effect. Perhaps I would have found the info on what reflux actually can do and would have opted to go straight to bypass at that time. Every journey is different, and you have to go with what your gut tells you is right for you.

@Mzsundaze I can not speak for anyone else but as for myself at first wanted to go with the RNY but after the meeting with my surgeon and discussing it over with him we decided that in my case that the sleeve was the best option for me and if need to be later down the road if we decide to revise the surgery after weight loss then we will go back in and do the RNY but overall the sleeve was the best procedure in my case.

I had a band in 2013, issues with it from the start, and converted to sleeve two years later when I had erosion. I opted for sleeve because it was less invasive, however, the surgeon glossed over the very high incidence of GERD/severe reflux long term with the sleeve. I was in the majority who have it, and after looking what that does to your body and the side effects of being on meds to control long term, I proceeded to convert to full bypass last Friday. I felt that I had researched at the time of my first conversion, but I did not go down the rabbit hole of each possible side effect. Perhaps I would have found the info on what reflux actually can do and would have opted to go straight to bypass at that time. Every journey is different, and you have to go with what your gut tells you is right for you.

Thanks eladams,

As of today I am still undecided. I have emergency surgery on Wednesday to remove the band. Given that I have esophageal dysmotility as a complication of the band, there isn’t a function to keep gastric acid from coming back up so bypass might be my only option.

@Mzsundaze I can not speak for anyone else but as for myself at first wanted to go with the RNY but after the meeting with my surgeon and discussing it over with him we decided that in my case that the sleeve was the best option for me and if need to be later down the road if we decide to revise the surgery after weight loss then we will go back in and do the RNY but overall the sleeve was the best procedure in my case.

What made you decide on the sleeve?

Just curious! What did you decide? I am a few weeks from removing my band and getting gastric bypass!

Back