• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Caffeine after bypass surgery

Bob

I keep reading different opinions or information about the consumption of caffeine after bypass surgery. Does anyone on this site have the facts? My surgeon definitely says no caffeine after bypass surgery. I will follow what my doctor says, just curious.

As it was explained to me by my medical team when I pushed (and pushed) for coffee:
* Caffeine is a diuretic, which can lead to dehydration after surgery, since many people have a hard time getting all the required water in. Caffeine can also affect the bowels, leading to more frequent and/or looser movements, which can also lead to dehydration and/or diarrhea.
* Most caffeinated drinks end up high in empty calories (think soda) and many people add heavy cream, sugar, high fructose laden flavorings, or chemically made sugar free sweeteners to their coffees.
* Many caffeinated drinks (soda, coffee, black tea) are also acidic, which can potentially cause ulcers in your pouch and/or your intestines.

That being said, I have totally ignored my medical team on this issue and have 1 coffee in the morning and usually a small iced coffee in the afternoon. I use ultra filtered high protein milk or a flavored protein shake in the place of creamers and have had no issues to date. However, I do make sure that the coffee is not taking the place of meals or making me unable to hit my water intake goals.

I waited several months to add it back in. Now most days my breakfast is coffee. I take a carmel protein shake and mix it with cold brew coffee. If I dont use a whole shake I will use half, with half coffee and add a scope of protein powder. Depending on the mix it is 30-36 g protein

As it was explained to me by my medical team when I pushed (and pushed) for coffee:
* Caffeine is a diuretic, which can lead to dehydration after surgery, since many people have a hard time getting all the required water in. Caffeine can also affect the bowels, leading to more frequent and/or looser movements, which can also lead to dehydration and/or diarrhea.
* Most caffeinated drinks end up high in empty calories (think soda) and many people add heavy cream, sugar, high fructose laden flavorings, or chemically made sugar free sweeteners to their coffees.
* Many caffeinated drinks (soda, coffee, black tea) are also acidic, which can potentially cause ulcers in your pouch and/or your intestines.

That being said, I have totally ignored my medical team on this issue and have 1 coffee in the morning and usually a small iced coffee in the afternoon. I use ultra filtered high protein milk or a flavored protein shake in the place of creamers and have had no issues to date. However, I do make sure that the coffee is not taking the place of meals or making me unable to hit my water intake goals.
I waited 3 months like my doctors office said. Now I have a 16 oz cup of coffee with a little milk in the morning. I also usually have the cafe latte premier protein shake mid morning or early afternoon.
Thank you. Great information

Bob, I’m a caffeine addict and started drinking coffee again 2 to 3 months after my surgery. If you search caffeine in the search bar, it’ll bring up several posts relating to caffeine and weight loss surgery.

I was told to avoid caffeine for three months, then I could have one cup (~80 mg caffeine) per day. I have always drunk it black with no sweeteners, so I wasn't worried about the calories. However, most decaf coffee I tried tasted terrible. Finally someone suggested Peet's decaf and it was actually pretty good. It's a dark roast, so I think it has more flavor than lighter roasts. Most days I will now start with one cup of regular, then decaf the rest of the day. The benefit of drinking decaf is I can now have a cup whenever I want without staying up all night!

My surgeon said the same as the other who have responded - caffeine can cause ulcers on our new stomach and also can induce hunger which obviously is counter active to the new plan. But I was allowed decaf from the moment I woke up from surgery! I also switch to decaf pre-op because I knew the headaches would be BAD and I wanted to be able to take Excedrine - which isn’t allowed post-op. Personally, I don’t miss the caffeine now that I’m off it...I love a decaf americano from Starbucks (hot or iced) and I add some skim fairlife milk for a dash of protein. Yum.

My surgeon said NO to caffeine due to the fact that it can cause stomach ulcers leading to a possible tear in your intestines and newly formed stomach pouch. Plus the acid reflex can cause burns to your throat as well. My surgeon put me on acid reflex meds for three months. After hearing that it could cause all that I was happy to forget it!! He said after three months I could either do decaf or one small coffee (8oz) in the am then no more for the rest of the day. Hope this helps you! Soda pop is empty calories and no nutritional value plus loaded with sugar which will cause dumping!

Back