• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Calories

Pennynguyen

So I was sitting down adding up my calories and came up with like 500 does this hurt me from loosing weight? Im also afraid im eating to much but when looking at this now im not sure. I also was told at doctors office that i had to get additional 60 to 85 grams of protein besides what im eating. Does anyone know if this is so? If it is besides the protein shakes what else can i use to get it in?

Even though requirements differ from surgeon to surgeon and nutritionist to nutritionist, I think that protein requirement is probably a misunderstanding.

Women should get 50 to 70 grams of protein a day, total. Whatever you put on your plates, most of it should be protein. You should also indulge in high protein foods that gives you that extra burst of protein.

These include:
  • Cottage cheese
  • Eggs
  • yogurt
  • eggs
  • Magic Milk
  • turkey breast meat. 4 oz of roasted skinless boneless turkey breast has about 150 calories and gives you 34 to 36 grams of protein. I was advised to eat a 6-oz portion.
And another thing about turkey or any other meat. When you reach the pureed food stage, you can pulverize it in a blender or food processor and add some Magic Milk to it as well as a teaspoon of dried gravy mix and a teaspoon of instant potato flakes. This is paired on your plate with cranberry sauce and to me, it feels like Thanksgiving dinner.

If you think about the ingredients that you would include in a meat-based meal, like roast beef, remember that you can put that meat in a blender or food processor and add cooked carrots and onions and a teaspoon of mashed potato flakes. If you want a cheeseburger, drop a few ounces of hamburger and cheddar cheese and a teaspoon of yogurt and a teaspoon of mayonnaise and Blended. Serve it with a pureed pickles.

You can certainly leave out beef gravy or potato flakes but in those tiny amounts they are certainly going to fit in with your calorie requirements and make everything taste better. You can also use hamburger beans and chili or taco seasoning to make something that tastes like tacos, or you can pulverize a little canned spaghetti sauce and mozzarella cheese and have a pizza.

I just thought about the foods I loved and then I built recipes that I could puree. I always kept track of the calorie content as well as the protein gram content. I usually ended up with more food than I could eat in one sitting, but I would set my plate on a heating pad to keep the food warm while I took my time eating it, which sometimes lasted an hour or longer.

And these are some of the things that helped me a lot, especially cream soups and Malt-O-Meal cereal made with Magic Milk:
  • Beef and chicken bouillon
  • Magic Milk-based soups
  • Malt-O-Meal made with Magic Milk and thinned to a Milky consistency
  • Whenever possible, incorporating a scoop or two of protein powder from the store into whatever liquidy thing I was consuming
Magic Milk is something you should definitely have. The recipe is 1 qt of nonfat milk plus one packet of dry milk powder, like Milkman, which was what I used. It doubles the protein in 8 oz of milk. Use it as the base you cook your Malt-O-Meal in and make your smoothies with and every other time you use milk.

When you arrive at the solid food stage, you might want to enjoy some beef jerky. it is extremely salty, but you can find low salt versions and if you have an air fryer oh, you can make your own at home and reduce the salt drastically. 1 oz of beef jerky gives you 11 grams of protein. There's a lot of reasons to eat it, and especially because you need to chew it for a long long time to pulverize it. That chewing action is extremely satisfying.

If you want it, you can eat an entire can of water-packed albacore tuna. It is only 220 calories but it gives you 41 grams of protein.

And yes, Penny, you should be taking more calories in than that. Your goal should be about 900 calories now. And in a few months your goal should be about a thousand per day. After you reach your weight-loss goal, you can go up to 1500 calories.

I still avoid bread and pasta, because I feel those are probably the worst carbohydrates you can put in your body. I have no evidence of this. It's just what I do. When I was allowed solid food, I would buy a small cheeseburger and remove the top bun. I would eat around the bottom bun, which if you didn't keep it, could maybe make your hand a little messy.

Make sure you drink as much water as you possibly can. I drink two liters a day. The more water you drink, the more weight you will lose, and the faster it will come off.

I would be interested to know what doctors say about pulverizing good vegetables during the puree stage, including something like lettuce. And you should avoid the high carbohydrate vegetables like peas and corn. Those are the things we like the most, but that's probably because we are carbohydrate addicts.

I hope this helps.

I'm sorry, but that is way off. No one could meet that goal. Maybe you should ask your doctor again and tell him that there are many websites and bariatric centers and people in support groups who strenuously disagree with him. You might do your own internet research and go to Rochester and the Mayo Clinic and Johns Hopkins and Beth Israel and Franciscan and see what they say.

of course, your doctor could be of course, your doctor could be basing that on your current weight, but you would only want to use that calculation if you intended to continue to weigh that much. I found a mathematical formula at a Harvard blog, and you will find these all over the place. Also go to the National Institutes of Health and see what their recommendations are.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/how-much-protein-do-you-need-every-day-201506188096

Even if you ate 3 to 4 servings of turkey breast meat every day, it would be ridiculously hard to meet that goal.

These numbers are not something I am making up. I have them in writing from my nutritionist and I have been practicing the 50 to 70 grams of protein eating plan for 13 years and have met my goal and gone beyond it.

Even though requirements differ from surgeon to surgeon and nutritionist to nutritionist, I think that protein requirement is probably a misunderstanding.

Women should get 50 to 70 grams of protein a day, total. Whatever you put on your plates, most of it should be protein. You should also indulge in high protein foods that gives you that extra burst of protein.

These include:
  • Cottage cheese
  • Eggs
  • yogurt
  • eggs
  • Magic Milk
  • turkey breast meat. 4 oz of roasted skinless boneless turkey breast has about 150 calories and gives you 34 to 36 grams of protein. I was advised to eat a 6-oz portion.
And another thing about turkey or any other meat. When you reach the pureed food stage, you can pulverize it in a blender or food processor and add some Magic Milk to it as well as a teaspoon of dried gravy mix and a teaspoon of instant potato flakes. This is paired on your plate with cranberry sauce and to me, it feels like Thanksgiving dinner.

If you think about the ingredients that you would include in a meat-based meal, like roast beef, remember that you can put that meat in a blender or food processor and add cooked carrots and onions and a teaspoon of mashed potato flakes. If you want a cheeseburger, drop a few ounces of hamburger and cheddar cheese and a teaspoon of yogurt and a teaspoon of mayonnaise and Blended. Serve it with a pureed pickles.

You can certainly leave out beef gravy or potato flakes but in those tiny amounts they are certainly going to fit in with your calorie requirements and make everything taste better. You can also use hamburger beans and chili or taco seasoning to make something that tastes like tacos, or you can pulverize a little canned spaghetti sauce and mozzarella cheese and have a pizza.

I just thought about the foods I loved and then I built recipes that I could puree. I always kept track of the calorie content as well as the protein gram content. I usually ended up with more food than I could eat in one sitting, but I would set my plate on a heating pad to keep the food warm while I took my time eating it, which sometimes lasted an hour or longer.

And these are some of the things that helped me a lot, especially cream soups and Malt-O-Meal cereal made with Magic Milk:
  • Beef and chicken bouillon
  • Magic Milk-based soups
  • Malt-O-Meal made with Magic Milk and thinned to a Milky consistency
  • Whenever possible, incorporating a scoop or two of protein powder from the store into whatever liquidy thing I was consuming
Magic Milk is something you should definitely have. The recipe is 1 qt of nonfat milk plus one packet of dry milk powder, like Milkman, which was what I used. It doubles the protein in 8 oz of milk. Use it as the base you cook your Malt-O-Meal in and make your smoothies with and every other time you use milk.

When you arrive at the solid food stage, you might want to enjoy some beef jerky. it is extremely salty, but you can find low salt versions and if you have an air fryer oh, you can make your own at home and reduce the salt drastically. 1 oz of beef jerky gives you 11 grams of protein. There's a lot of reasons to eat it, and especially because you need to chew it for a long long time to pulverize it. That chewing action is extremely satisfying.

If you want it, you can eat an entire can of water-packed albacore tuna. It is only 220 calories but it gives you 41 grams of protein.

And yes, Penny, you should be taking more calories in than that. Your goal should be about 900 calories now. And in a few months your goal should be about a thousand per day. After you reach your weight-loss goal, you can go up to 1500 calories.

I still avoid bread and pasta, because I feel those are probably the worst carbohydrates you can put in your body. I have no evidence of this. It's just what I do. When I was allowed solid food, I would buy a small cheeseburger and remove the top bun. I would eat around the bottom bun, which if you didn't keep it, could maybe make your hand a little messy.

Make sure you drink as much water as you possibly can. I drink two liters a day. The more water you drink, the more weight you will lose, and the faster it will come off.

I would be interested to know what doctors say about pulverizing good vegetables during the puree stage, including something like lettuce. And you should avoid the high carbohydrate vegetables like peas and corn. Those are the things we like the most, but that's probably because we are carbohydrate addicts.

I hope this helps.
Thanks Diane that info helps me out a lot ,My daughter is a nurse she told me i needed more calories if i didnt have enough calories my body will go into starvation mode, She order me some Protein 2o water to see that taste i think have 15 or so grams of protein. So im going to up my calories and water intake and see if the weight comes off faster, Again for all the information.

I'm sorry, but that is way off. No one could meet that goal. Maybe you should ask your doctor again and tell him that there are many websites and bariatric centers and people in support groups who strenuously disagree with him. You might do your own internet research and go to Rochester and the Mayo Clinic and Johns Hopkins and Beth Israel and Franciscan and see what they say.

of course, your doctor could be of course, your doctor could be basing that on your current weight, but you would only want to use that calculation if you intended to continue to weigh that much. I found a mathematical formula at a Harvard blog, and you will find these all over the place. Also go to the National Institutes of Health and see what their recommendations are.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/how-much-protein-do-you-need-every-day-201506188096

Even if you ate 3 to 4 servings of turkey breast meat every day, it would be ridiculously hard to meet that goal.

These numbers are not something I am making up. I have them in writing from my nutritionist and I have been practicing the 50 to 70 grams of protein eating plan for 13 years and have met my goal and gone beyond it.
Thank you for your information i am going to look at those places that you told me to see what they are saying.I havent seen my nutritionist sine before my surgery, So any information i can get i appreciate it,

In the first month or so, my dietician said 800-1000 calories is the range most people (male and female) are at. I have been averaging 850 and have been losing weight just fine. I think 500 is a bit low though. You probably won't go into starvation mode because your body right now wants to lose weight and it's going to reduce your hunger and boost your metabolism to get there. "Starvation mode" is what some of us experience before surgery when we have tried to lose weight in the past when we start getting super hungry after losing weight and our metabolisms slow down. Right after surgery, starvation mode really doesn't happen until you reach your new "setpoint." Over time, we will naturally start eating more calories, little by little until we reach a maintenance point where we hope not to lose or gain excessively.

You should reach out to your nutritionist and directly ask them what would be recommended. Generally speaking, protein intake can be calculated by multiplying bodyweight x 0.3. As you lose weight, you adjust downward. Right now, my protein needs are 86g per day. When I reach my body fat goal, it will be around 60g. There is a fair amount of adjustability in protein amounts, and it also depends on muscle mass and such, but in general, that calculation keeps things very close. Again, I would check with your nutritionist, as I'm sharing what my bariatric dietician has told me.

I'm required
I also was told at doctors office that i had to get additional 60 to 85 grams of protein besides what im eating. Does anyone know if this is so? If it is besides the protein shakes what else can i use to get it in?

You should eat what your surgical team has told you to eat, I'm supposed to get 90g of protein daily. Some days I do - others I don't. I'm supposed to eat 6 small meals a day per my surgeon. Everyone's doctor/nutritionist may not require what your doctor does. Before making any changes - talk to your doctor/nutritionist/surgical team and they will tell you what you need to do.

The key phrase in Penny's post was "besides what I'm eating."

So if she was getting 40 to 50 grams of protein already and the doctor told her to get 60 to 85 more grams of protein, that would be nuts. The calories required to meet that protein goal would be off the chart.

And I don't know what problems might arise from eating too many grams of protein, but if there could be problems, they would certainly occur if you had to eat as much as 135 g of protein every day.

You know that I always say talk to your doctor, but sometimes the answer is so obvious, asking the same doctor might not help and consulting other resources for requirements is not out of bounds. I know that many people here have had problems with doctors and I have had that experience myself. Doctors make mistakes.

And AJ's post indicated that she was supposed to drink 80 oz of zero calorie liquids including water everyday. Considering the fact that most people have trouble even reaching the standard amount of 64 Oz, requiring 80 oz seems unreasonable to me.

I have never seen these numbers in any posts ever sent to the group. But I didn't give advice without doing a lot of research first. I got a big reality check by going to all the bariatric clinics and websites on the internet to see how they compared.

I think both AJ and Penny should contact their surgical team and ask for clarification, specifically about water and protein grams.

But I have followed my nutritionist's advice and for the last 13 years I've eaten 50 to 70 g of protein and at least 64 oz of water every single day. For seven years after surgery, I was in a University of Washington study, Longitudinal Assessment of Bariatric Surgery (LABS) which was subsequently published in the Journal of the American Medical Association. And I have read thousands of posts here that list the same numbers.

A diet that you cannot follow is a diet that will cause you to fail.

You have to do exactly what your doctor says so doctors should all be in the same ballpark. Bariatric surgery is so standardized now, there should be very little variation from doctor to doctor.

Aside from everything else, how a person with a stomach that is about the size of a golf ball could fit in enough food to get a hundred+ grams of protein a day and 80 ounces of fluid is a trick I don't even think Houdini could perform. The pre-surgical diet is supposed to be similar to the post-surgical diet because it's part of training yourself to eat right with your new stomach.

I really hope people are getting good information from their bariatric surgical team. It's a major surgery that changes your entire digestive process and you have to be vigilant and meet your required goals every single day.

The key phrase in Penny's post was "besides what I'm eating."

So if she was getting 40 to 50 grams of protein already and the doctor told her to get 60 to 85 more grams of protein, that would be nuts. The calories required to meet that protein goal would be off the chart.

And I don't know what problems might arise from eating too many grams of protein, but if there could be problems, they would certainly occur if you had to eat as much as 135 g of protein every day.

You know that I always say talk to your doctor, but sometimes the answer is so obvious, asking the same doctor might not help and consulting other resources for requirements is not out of bounds. I know that many people here have had problems with doctors and I have had that experience myself. Doctors make mistakes.

And AJ's post indicated that she was supposed to drink 80 oz of zero calorie liquids including water everyday. Considering the fact that most people have trouble even reaching the standard amount of 64 Oz, requiring 80 oz seems unreasonable to me.

I have never seen these numbers in any posts ever sent to the group. But I didn't give advice without doing a lot of research first. I got a big reality check by going to all the bariatric clinics and websites on the internet to see how they compared.

I think both AJ and Penny should contact their surgical team and ask for clarification, specifically about water and protein grams.

But I have followed my nutritionist's advice and for the last 13 years I've eaten 50 to 70 g of protein and at least 64 oz of water every single day. For seven years after surgery, I was in a University of Washington study, Longitudinal Assessment of Bariatric Surgery (LABS) which was subsequently published in the Journal of the American Medical Association. And I have read thousands of posts here that list the same numbers.

A diet that you cannot follow is a diet that will cause you to fail.

You have to do exactly what your doctor says so doctors should all be in the same ballpark. Bariatric surgery is so standardized now, there should be very little variation from doctor to doctor.

Aside from everything else, how a person with a stomach that is about the size of a golf ball could fit in enough food to get a hundred+ grams of protein a day and 80 ounces of fluid is a trick I don't even think Houdini could perform. The pre-surgical diet is supposed to be similar to the post-surgical diet because it's part of training yourself to eat right with your new stomach.

I really hope people are getting good information from their bariatric surgical team. It's a major surgery that changes your entire digestive process and you have to be vigilant and meet your required goals every single day.
Thank you for all your info.I am going to contact my surgeon on Monday to double check. I did have another question Im only getting like 500 grams of calories a day. Will this slow down my weight loss?

A diet of 500 calories a day is generally referred to as a starvation diet. It is a common fad diet and generally causes metabolic imbalances that can harm many of your organs and physical systems. It rarely results in permanent weight loss and commonly takes energy from muscles instead of stored fat.

I'm really happy to know you will be talking to medical professionals about this. Your nutritionist will advise you and you will be cautioned against eating so few calories. Increase protein, increase water consumption, increase calories and increase activity so you can burn those calories and your weight loss will increase over days and weeks.

The body is not set up to lose massive numbers of pounds rapidly. A sudden large weight loss can even cause problems, including creating gallstones if you still have your gallbladder. It's not good for you and it will not pay off. Following your nutritional guidelines will result in a very satisfying weight loss. It's important to listen to people who understand nutrition and to keep unrealistic expectations in check.

That's the hardest thing to do. But your body will respond to whatever you do, including the unhealthy things you do, hoping to lose weight faster.

Do the hard thing. Drink a lot of water. Eat a lot of protein. Make sure you get up and walk, at very least.

You are going to be just fine. Just make sure you get the best information and follow it to the letter.

A diet of 500 calories a day is generally referred to as a starvation diet. It is a common fad diet and generally causes metabolic imbalances that can harm many of your organs and physical systems. It rarely results in permanent weight loss and commonly takes energy from muscles instead of stored fat.

I'm really happy to know you will be talking to medical professionals about this. Your nutritionist will advise you and you will be cautioned against eating so few calories. Increase protein, increase water consumption, increase calories and increase activity so you can burn those calories and your weight loss will increase over days and weeks.

The body is not set up to lose massive numbers of pounds rapidly. A sudden large weight loss can even cause problems, including creating gallstones if you still have your gallbladder. It's not good for you and it will not pay off. Following your nutritional guidelines will result in a very satisfying weight loss. It's important to listen to people who understand nutrition and to keep unrealistic expectations in check.

That's the hardest thing to do. But your body will respond to whatever you do, including the unhealthy things you do, hoping to lose weight faster.

Do the hard thing. Drink a lot of water. Eat a lot of protein. Make sure you get up and walk, at very least.

You are going to be just fine. Just make sure you get the best information and follow it to the letter.
Thank you Diane all the information you have given me has helped a lot. I will post what i fined out on Monday.

Yeah my daughter is a nurse she has told me that to low calories will make my body to go into starvation mode.

Penny, I'm sorry. I misunderstood your post-op status. It's a bitch getting old. I thought you were on a pre-op diet and only getting 500 calories a day. So just take what you need and ignore the rest.

Back