• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Can I Do Gastric Sleeve at My Size?

Neecey

I can’t believe I’m posting this because I don’t even disclose my weight to my husband. But I know this forum’s members will understand.

Thanks to the pandemic my weight has ballooned up to 310. I’m 5’4” and 68 years old. I hope to lose some of that in the pre-op period with the diet the doctor will put me on. I’ve been reading incessantly everything I can find about the GS surgery. I realize the weight loss is less than bypass, but my goal is for health and mobility rather than being at what the weight charts say I should be.

It seems most people I’ve read about who have succeeded with the GS weighed less than me. Is the doctor likely to tell me I’m too fat for the sleeve surgery?

I plan to make an appointment next week and want to be prepared to argue my case if necessary.

Not at all. I am 66 and had VSG last June. My original weight when I met with the doctor 2/1/20 was 344 lbs. He did not have a problem with me having VSG. By the time my surgery came around on 6/25/20 I was able to get down to 300 lbs. At my last weigh-in (I only weigh in on Wednesday's), I was 214. So that is 130 lbs since the beginning of my journey and 86 since surgery. You can do this!!

Neecey, my battle has been lifelong too. I wasn't a skinny kid and always chubby. At one point when I was 19 I was able to loose a bit of weight and was at my smallest size but it was short lived. Some people don't have a weight issue when young but all of a sudden they do later in life. I guess for me I felt like it was my burden to bear and I stopped trying to lose weight. I'm glad the lightbulb finally came on and I'm given a new beginning. You can too! I will support you however I can. We are in this together!

Awww.....you’re so sweet. I too have been at a semi-normal weight at least twice in my life but, like you, it was short lived. And it’s not been for lack of trying. After literally some 50+ years of battling obesity came the pandemic and I too gave up. I really hope the doctor says I’m a candidate for GS. I’m ready to get started on this journey.

Back