• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Can I REALLY do this?

DebbyP

I have gone through all the dietary/PT/talking steps and still wonder if this is right for me. To be honest, the pre-op stuff seemed more focused on NOW and not AFTER the surgery and I do not know if I can do the change in eating the rest of my life. I HAVE gotten rid of 90% of the sweets in my house (no more ice cream) but I still seem to eat the same things I have all along. My surgery has not been scheduled and I told them I was in no big rush.
I would really love some advice from those of you who felt the same way.

Hi Debby, That's great that you got rid of sweet temptations. If it isn't in the house, then you can't eat it! My husband who doesn't need to lose weight still wants his sweets, so I can't get them out of the house entirely. But I will say that I haven't had a single cookie since February! I use to be a cookie monster. And ice cream was also my downfall. I am not missing them at all. I think we have to be real with ourselves and know that we have to retrain our minds (and stomachs!) on what we should be eating. I haven't felt deprived in any way - for me that meant it was okay to have a small piece of apple pie on Thanksgiving. And when my husband's birthday was here I had a sliver of cake and a tiny bit of ice cream. I've learned that having those things on special occasions, in very small quantities, felt special. Previously I guess I have to say that every day was a holiday to me and never put the breaks on anything - that's what got me in this mess - not the actual celebration itself. Now I should mention that I had the sleeve and not bypass and do not have an issue with dumping syndrome. But I just wanted to give you an example of how don't feel deprived and DO feel like I can do this for the rest of my life, I think you can too!!

The pre op period can be confusing and difficult time. It can come with a lot of doubts about success in the future, especially because it's hard to imagine a change in our relationship with food after surgery. For myself, I failed at so many diets, I often wondered as I proceeded toward the surgery how things would be different after surgery if I didn't think I could really change what I eat. I drank about a liter of diet Coke a day and was so tied up in that, I'd even question if the surgery was worth it because I couldn't drink Diet Coke again. That led me to wonder if I could stop eating fast food, or pasta or meals with tons of cheese, etc. etc.

I imagine many people go through similar thoughts like: Can I really change? Do I want to change? Can I or do I want to give up some of the things I like/love to eat? I certainly had thoughts like that.

I don't know if you are dealing with any comorbidities, but I had a litany of issues prior to surgery. I knew those comorbidities were going to be much harder to get rid of without the surgery. I knew that my history of dieting meant that with every new diet, it gets more and more difficult to lose weight until it is practically impossible. There are so many factors at play, and after a certain point our bodies are do protective of our obesity that it is very rare for an individual to lose what they need to lose and keep it off for any length of time.

Even with all the doubts, I went forward with the surgery. I'm not a long term success story, yet. I'm still early in my journey at not quite 5 months post op, but what an amazing 5 months it has been!

The surgery doesn't just restrict the amount of food you can eat, it also affects your hormones and microbiome in positive ways. Although the hormonal and microbiome changes are somewhat temporary, they do give you a nice 12 month window to build a new relationship with food. For many during this time, their taste in food changes. Although I was drinking a liter of Diet Coke a day, I don't drink any now and I don't miss it. I used to eat a ton of bread, but I don't now and I don't miss it. I used to eat a ton of pasta. I don't know and I don't miss it.

Everyone is different, but after surgery, as you are going through the different phases, you have a real opportunity to reset how you eat. The way you view food may be completely different, and it is something that is very, VERY difficult to wrap your mind around before you have the surgery because it is hard to imagine not being attracted to the same foods after surgery as you are now, but for more people, there is a definitive change.

That doesn't mean it is an easy change. Your brain can still want foods that aren't great for you at times, and there are still battles with stress, emotion, and other things like that, which could lead to making poor food choices. However, having the surgery gives you multiple new weapons to fight the obesity battle, and the success rate is very high, both in the short term and the long term.

All that being said, you really have to want to go through with it and really want the change. If you want to put it off and try to lose the weight on your own again, there is always the possibility that you might find the diet key that works for you. If you do find that key, and you are successful without surgery, you'll be among the very, very few success stories, and that would be amazing! There is nothing wrong with trying to avoid the surgery and losing weight without it.

On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with getting the surgery and moving forward with a proven method of weight loss either. I still eat lots of foods that I love and enjoy. There are some things I exclude, and there are some things I just have occasionally, but my entire focus during this first year was finding the diet that works right for me that I can sustain for the rest of my life, and I feel that I've found the right thing for me. I think that is pretty much every person's success story on this journey. They get the benefits of the surgery and lose a lot of weight in that first year, and during that time they rediscover the benefits of being a more normal weight and making different good choices, and they decide to stick with that. This translates into long term success and quality of life.

Your choice is your choice. Neither direction you decide to go is a bad choice if you are committed to making some sort of change. You've made some changes already. Maybe that is enough for you and you'll continue to lose weight slowly and regain better health. Maybe you'll experience more dramatic change, more quickly with surgery. Either way, sticking with a decision to be healthier is a key to success.

Surgery is a big deal, so definitely weigh the options, spend a lot of time with honest self-reflection, and only move forward with surgery if/when you are ready and feel like you are mentally prepared for the change, if you feel it would be best for you.

Debby, welcome to the group.

Don't be concerned about what you will eat for the rest of your life. Once you have made your recovery and reached your goal you will be able to eat anything you want to eat, so long as it agrees with your digestive system. There are foods I used to eat that I can't even stomach anymore but I don't want to eat them, so it's fine. There aren't any foods that I can't eat but I do make choices. I'm not the least bit deprived. Don't let the post-op diet be a stumbling block for you. At worst, it's a hurdle you can leap over. The post-operative life you will live begins as you recover from surgery and continues in fits and starts for months afterward.

Believe me, a desire to eat a hot fudge sundae when you've been home for two weeks will not rule your world and it may send your stomach into catapults and the very image may make you vomit. I have to change the channel when some pancake house or Denny's or some other restaurant that serves sauces out of 5-gallon plastic buckets starts pouring goo all over food in order to make you want to eat it. It is not the least appealing and in fact, it does nauseate me just to look at it.

I didn't have to do any head tripping to reach this conclusion. My body made the decision for me. Still, if I want a hot fudge sundae, I can have one. I just might not be able to get past one or two bites and it might actually make me throw up.

Fine wines have different bouquets and tastes and pair with different types of foods, but to an alcoholic they are all poison. Food is the same. We can eat it as sustenance or we can celebrate it in its many delicious forms. I believe in celebrating food. But before I had surgery I abused it and food became a bad thing, a monster, something that contained more guilt than calories.

Now I savor it. I treat it like a precious jewel. I find delicious ways to cook and bake and style it. I share it with friends and give it as gifts. Really, I worship it, so I will never abuse it. I was very sick but no more. Thanks to the RYGB procedure, I can't overeat, but more important, my relationship with food is appropriate. It is a joy to me.

My surgeon may have removed the portion of my stomach that manufactures grehlin, and that may be why it's so easy for me. Do research on that and ask your surgeon.

Don't let irrational fear keep you from health and happiness. Weight loss is just one gift you receive from WLS.

Short answer, YES, you really can. The surgery really is a tool. It gives you a chance to reset your tastes and your preferences. Love fast food? Bread? Sweets? Chips? You probably won't after surgery. I have tried all of that, as my family hasn't changed their eating habits at all. After so long without eating processed garbage, your taste changes. Sweets are too sweet, chips are too salty and fast food leaves me feeling a bloated mess. Even with only the few bites you can fit in. So I do more cooking and meal prep, because I don't want to be in a position that I have to grab something on the go. So one night a week, my family orders in and I do my own thing. I think they focus on the "now" because they are trying to change your habits in advance. But a big part of surgery is you just cannot eat much, so it handles itself for the first little while anyway. And many people find that they get sick from fatty or sugary foods and have to avoid them. You can't plan for any of that, you can only wait and see.

The pre op period can be confusing and difficult time. It can come with a lot of doubts about success in the future, especially because it's hard to imagine a change in our relationship with food after surgery. For myself, I failed at so many diets, I often wondered as I proceeded toward the surgery how things would be different after surgery if I didn't think I could really change what I eat. I drank about a liter of diet Coke a day and was so tied up in that, I'd even question if the surgery was worth it because I couldn't drink Diet Coke again. That led me to wonder if I could stop eating fast food, or pasta or meals with tons of cheese, etc. etc.

I imagine many people go through similar thoughts like: Can I really change? Do I want to change? Can I or do I want to give up some of the things I like/love to eat? I certainly had thoughts like that.

I don't know if you are dealing with any comorbidities, but I had a litany of issues prior to surgery. I knew those comorbidities were going to be much harder to get rid of without the surgery. I knew that my history of dieting meant that with every new diet, it gets more and more difficult to lose weight until it is practically impossible. There are so many factors at play, and after a certain point our bodies are do protective of our obesity that it is very rare for an individual to lose what they need to lose and keep it off for any length of time.

Even with all the doubts, I went forward with the surgery. I'm not a long term success story, yet. I'm still early in my journey at not quite 5 months post op, but what an amazing 5 months it has been!

The surgery doesn't just restrict the amount of food you can eat, it also affects your hormones and microbiome in positive ways. Although the hormonal and microbiome changes are somewhat temporary, they do give you a nice 12 month window to build a new relationship with food. For many during this time, their taste in food changes. Although I was drinking a liter of Diet Coke a day, I don't drink any now and I don't miss it. I used to eat a ton of bread, but I don't now and I don't miss it. I used to eat a ton of pasta. I don't know and I don't miss it.

Everyone is different, but after surgery, as you are going through the different phases, you have a real opportunity to reset how you eat. The way you view food may be completely different, and it is something that is very, VERY difficult to wrap your mind around before you have the surgery because it is hard to imagine not being attracted to the same foods after surgery as you are now, but for more people, there is a definitive change.

That doesn't mean it is an easy change. Your brain can still want foods that aren't great for you at times, and there are still battles with stress, emotion, and other things like that, which could lead to making poor food choices. However, having the surgery gives you multiple new weapons to fight the obesity battle, and the success rate is very high, both in the short term and the long term.

All that being said, you really have to want to go through with it and really want the change. If you want to put it off and try to lose the weight on your own again, there is always the possibility that you might find the diet key that works for you. If you do find that key, and you are successful without surgery, you'll be among the very, very few success stories, and that would be amazing! There is nothing wrong with trying to avoid the surgery and losing weight without it.

On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with getting the surgery and moving forward with a proven method of weight loss either. I still eat lots of foods that I love and enjoy. There are some things I exclude, and there are some things I just have occasionally, but my entire focus during this first year was finding the diet that works right for me that I can sustain for the rest of my life, and I feel that I've found the right thing for me. I think that is pretty much every person's success story on this journey. They get the benefits of the surgery and lose a lot of weight in that first year, and during that time they rediscover the benefits of being a more normal weight and making different good choices, and they decide to stick with that. This translates into long term success and quality of life.

Your choice is your choice. Neither direction you decide to go is a bad choice if you are committed to making some sort of change. You've made some changes already. Maybe that is enough for you and you'll continue to lose weight slowly and regain better health. Maybe you'll experience more dramatic change, more quickly with surgery. Either way, sticking with a decision to be healthier is a key to success.

Surgery is a big deal, so definitely weigh the options, spend a lot of time with honest self-reflection, and only move forward with surgery if/when you are ready and feel like you are mentally prepared for the change, if you feel it would be best for you.
Wow! This is exactly what I needed to hear right now. These are all of the thoughts I’m having. I know I want to do it but I’m so scared I won’t be able to. So thank you for this response!

Wow! This is exactly what I needed to hear right now. These are all of the thoughts I’m having. I know I want to do it but I’m so scared I won’t be able to. So thank you for this response!
The surgery and life changes are a big deal! Success isn't based on the surgery alone, but it's obviously what helps us get to where we want to go. Weight surgery or not, it takes a commitment to change if you truly want to reach your goals.

You can do it!

Not sure which surgery you are opting for. I had the gastric bypass. I am almost 7 wks from my surgery and I can say my taste in food has changed. I no longer crave bread and pasta and I used to eat both like there was no tomorrow in sight! I have no desire for either now. It is a challenge learning how much you can eat at one time and how fast you can eat it but all things considered yes, I would do it again! I have gained mobility and energy and the health issues are subsiding!! So a plus the whole way around!

Same here can I do this..5' 1" 380 43 and disabled due to mostly weight related issues. No one around me is interested or willing to change their eating habits. Being wife and mom I fell obligated to cook what they want and crave which is one reason my weight and body have gotten outa control. Processed foods carbs and sugar is what they live on. Which is killing me. I'm diabetic and feel like they don't care. I feel like a meatball with arms and legs. I'm literally sick and tired of being unable to do average people activity. walk for any amount of time due to back pain because my weight is compressing my spine. Self care has gotten so hard. My range of motion is crap. Breathing is difficult thes just not enough room in my body to properly expand my lungs. So on and on and on, the list of things I can't do or accomplish is longer than the list of things I can!
I am scared of life after surgery how do I take my every day meds, pills or liquid? which meds will I still need. How on earth will I stay hydrated and take in the proper amount of vitamins and nutrients? I have to have the surgery if I want to live. But can I live after surgery. Looking for inspiration and motivation please help.

Same here can I do this..5' 1" 380 43 and disabled due to mostly weight related issues. No one around me is interested or willing to change their eating habits. Being wife and mom I fell obligated to cook what they want and crave which is one reason my weight and body have gotten outa control. Processed foods carbs and sugar is what they live on. Which is killing me. I'm diabetic and feel like they don't care. I feel like a meatball with arms and legs. I'm literally sick and tired of being unable to do average people activity. walk for any amount of time due to back pain because my weight is compressing my spine. Self care has gotten so hard. My range of motion is crap. Breathing is difficult thes just not enough room in my body to properly expand my lungs. So on and on and on, the list of things I can't do or accomplish is longer than the list of things I can!
I am scared of life after surgery how do I take my every day meds, pills or liquid? which meds will I still need. How on earth will I stay hydrated and take in the proper amount of vitamins and nutrients? I have to have the surgery if I want to live. But can I live after surgery. Looking for inspiration and motivation please help.
If your family doesn’t eat what you cook then that’s too bad for them. I do the majority of the cooking as well, and I cook what’s best for all of us. While I might still make a starch with dinner, I don’t have it. I will still make spaghetti or pasta, but I make myself a vegetable noodles or chickpea pasta, and having a smaller serving means there’s leftovers for my lunch the next day.
A lot of people have the same concerns as you with eating, hydration, and meds. It is definitely a balancing act which needs to begin before surgery so you don’t feel overwhelmed. Setting small goals for yourself, changing little things in the beginning, might help you see that you can be successful. When you look at the big picture it can be daunting. That’s how it was for me. But when I broke it all down to small steps, it became a lot easier and better to manage.

Last edited:
He's the king of his castle.. We are old school southern if I cook healthy like chicken fajitas he has to have burger and frys lol its frustrating but I honestly feel his needs and wants come first. Which henders me every which way! Small steps small goals is an awesome idea yes I'm overwhelmed with questions and fear. But I have to do somethingif I want to heal get better or even improve my health and life.

I think it is easy to get overwhelmed by everything in this process. I love 3Moms advice of breaking it down and tackle little things at a time. I know it is terribly hard when you have others in the family whom you cook or shop for not in agreement of eating healthier. We have had from time to time our teenage granddaughter live with us and my husband who basically has maintained his weight our 43 years of marriage turn his nose up to healthier options. So when I need to I make separate food. I use to get high protein frozen entrees for me for dinner and eat only half of it. Then I discovered "Super Cubes" which freezes meals in individual portions (you can search for my post on that) so I am basically making my own frozen dinners. However many of the meals I make for family I can eat because I am eating such a small quantity.

I would also like to mention that I was pretty much immobile before surgery. I had horrible shortness of breath. Now I park my car at the end of parking lots and forgo my handicap permit. When we walk, my husband can't keep up with me! LOL! And the shortness of breath is gone! My oxygen level is 97 where before it use to be about 85. Please don't let the what if's overwhelm you. You will feel so much better that in time you will be able to tackle these issues easily. You need to take care of yourself Mama, F.L.Y. (first love yourself, then you can give more lovingly to others!)

Oh, Mama C, this makes me sad. It is so hard to change and it's even harder when the people you take care of have no interest in making those changes with you. And to be 100% honest with you, they don't have to. At the end of the day, everyone has to make their own life choices. But, it sounds like the choices you are making right now are crippling you, in every sense of the word. Forgive me if this sounds harsh but .. at the end of the day, it isn't going to do your family any good to be "kings of the castle" when the QUEEN is dead.
I'm not going to try to change the way you run your household; you do you. But old school southern usually also means meat and potato kinds of meals. You can healthy ANYTHING up if you're cooking with real, whole foods. And I'm actually making burgers tonight. Theirs are all beef, mine is 1 oz ground beef 1 oz ground turkey. You can make healthier choices for yourself while still allowing others to make their own food choices, even if you are the cook.
Deciding to have weight loss surgery and making changes to your life is very scary and difficult not only for you, but for your family as well. However, your health and quality of life are worth it. Good luck.

He's the king of his castle.. We are old school southern if I cook healthy like chicken fajitas he has to have burger and frys lol its frustrating but I honestly feel his needs and wants come first. Which henders me every which way! Small steps small goals is an awesome idea yes I'm overwhelmed with questions and fear. But I have to do somethingif I want to heal get better or even improve my health and life.
When will your needs and wants come first?

Mama C, I too struggled with a spouse who eats lots of fried foods and deserts. Rarely is there a day that goes by that he doesn’t have a sweet treat in the evening. I worked with a registered dietitian at my surgery center for a few months leading up to my surgery. I tracked everything I ate and recorded it my Baritastic App. I’ve changed my way of eating to clean eating with mainly Mediterranean foods, which I love. I remember sharing my concerns about my spouse and his unhealthy eating habits and how that was going to affect me. Since I’ve had surgery I don’t crave sweets.

I needed to be cleared for surgery from my dietitian and she helped me realize that I was doing this for me. I have tried to get him to eat healthier, but I’ve realized that this has taken too much energy from me. I’ve lost 86 pounds and feel great and am off from high blood pressure medicine. I bought an awesome pair of running sneakers and am training for a 5k in July. I’m not running to win the race or come in first place. I’m enjoying the new me who has been given a new lease on life because my surgeon gave me a tool after I exhausted every attempt I made at losing weight on my own.

I like what Judy said: “First love yourself, then you can give more lovingly to others”. I would recommend going to a quiet place by yourself and ask yourself what it would feel like to be at your ideal weight. What would this be like buying clothes in a smaller size and to do things that you’ve never dreamed of being able to do?

I wish you the best no matter what you decide. Sending you virtual hugs.

Ugh I love to cook.. Food and feeding people is part of who I am it brings me joy. However in the last year it has gotten impossible to stand long enough to prep and cook. So I have begun to prep sitting at the table and getting up and down to finish cooking. The sweets!! My husband and son eat little Debbie constantly I dont and can't take in the super processed sugar nightmares. I'm done being this large and unable to care for myself! It's will be much easier cooking myself tiny healthy meals and their meals of carbs fat and sugar. What do I replace my pasta and potatoes with. I'm so used to starch and carbs my body is gonna go into shock. Thanks to everyone for listening and advice! Keep it coming.

I hear ya on the Little Debbies. My husband eats them all the time. He never eats a normal breakfast, he reaches for Little Debbie snacks or cookies. And does he need to lose weight?.... Nope! Don't get me wrong, was supportive all along with the surgery and what I eat afterwards, just don't go giving him any of that healthy stuff. Well, sometimes I lighten meals up and he doesn't even realize it, LOL!

I too had a hard time preparing food pre-surgery. Now I am loving it because I don't have the physical pain I had before. And I am experimenting with new recipes, some healthier versions some not so much but I eat so little of it that it's okay for just the one meal. I have fibromyalgia and I have to tell you that I feel so much better now than before and I think it is because I am eating far less processed foods. The weight coming off helps too with arthritis, but the foods that I eat are helpful for reducing inflammation rather than causing it. As for pasta and potatoes? On occasion I might have 1/4 cup spaghetti with 1 meatball. Or I might have 1/4 of a baked potato or a couple of the mini potatoes, roasted. I also eat mashed potatoes. When you concentrate on getting your protein in first, there isn't a whole lot of room for pasta or potatoes, so you really can't overload yourself with them.

I love to cook and entertain, and there’s no reason you can’t still do that. I use vegetables to replace potatoes and pasta, and not only do they have less carbs, they’ve got more fiber. There will be treats you can have, I love halo top ice cream and sugar free Russel stover mint patties-so yum! Try making small changes now so you don’t feel overwhelmed. Make little changes to your cooking, and don’t say anything to who you feed. Small changes can make a big difference.

Back