• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Chana Masala

Ange6012

Chana Masala (Bariatric Slow Cooker Cookbook)
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 3 minutes on high and 6 to 7 hours on low
SERVES 4 TO 6
Originating in northern India, this warming and satisfying dish is rich in flavor while still being gentle on your healing stomach. “Chana” means “chickpea,” and “masala” refers to the array of spices used to create such rich flavor.
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
¼ cup garlic, minced
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
½ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons garam masala
½ teaspoon ground turmeric
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, drained
2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 cups Savory Vegetable Broth or store-bought vegetable broth
1 to 1½ cups cooked basmati, brown, or wild rice
Chopped fresh cilantro, for topping (optional)
  1. In a 6-quart slow cooker, combine the olive oil, garlic, ginger, salt, black pepper, garam masala, and turmeric. Cook on high, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes, until fragrant.
  2. Add the onion, tomatoes, and chickpeas, then pour the broth over everything. Mix well. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 6 to 7 hours (start checking for doneness after 6 hours), until the chickpeas are soft and easily mashed.
  3. Turn off the slow cooker. Serve the chana masala with the rice, topped with cilantro (if using).
Refrigerate leftovers for up to 5 days, or freeze for up to 2 months.
TIP To make this recipe for your puree recovery stage, use an immersion blender to puree until smooth. For best results, puree in single portions. SERVING RECOMMENDATIONS Pureed Foods: ¼–½ cup Soft Foods: ½ cup General Foods: 1 cup
Per serving: Calories: 344; Protein: 15g; Fat: 8g; Carbohydrates: 58g; Fiber: 15g; Sugar: 12g; Sodium: 386mg

Chana Masala (Bariatric Slow Cooker Cookbook)
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 3 minutes on high and 6 to 7 hours on low
SERVES 4 TO 6
Originating in northern India, this warming and satisfying dish is rich in flavor while still being gentle on your healing stomach. “Chana” means “chickpea,” and “masala” refers to the array of spices used to create such rich flavor.
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
¼ cup garlic, minced
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
½ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons garam masala
½ teaspoon ground turmeric
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, drained
2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 cups Savory Vegetable Broth or store-bought vegetable broth
1 to 1½ cups cooked basmati, brown, or wild rice
Chopped fresh cilantro, for topping (optional)
  1. In a 6-quart slow cooker, combine the olive oil, garlic, ginger, salt, black pepper, garam masala, and turmeric. Cook on high, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes, until fragrant.
  2. Add the onion, tomatoes, and chickpeas, then pour the broth over everything. Mix well. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 6 to 7 hours (start checking for doneness after 6 hours), until the chickpeas are soft and easily mashed.
  3. Turn off the slow cooker. Serve the chana masala with the rice, topped with cilantro (if using).
Refrigerate leftovers for up to 5 days, or freeze for up to 2 months.
TIP To make this recipe for your puree recovery stage, use an immersion blender to puree until smooth. For best results, puree in single portions. SERVING RECOMMENDATIONS Pureed Foods: ¼–½ cup Soft Foods: ½ cup General Foods: 1 cup
Per serving: Calories: 344; Protein: 15g; Fat: 8g; Carbohydrates: 58g; Fiber: 15g; Sugar: 12g; Sodium: 386mg
Thank you for sharing that recipe. I have several cans of chickpeas and now I know what I'll do with 2 of them lol. I used to keep garam masala around and got hooked on it. Hope I can find it locally (living in WV, it's possible but not likely). Anyway, I hope yours turned out as delicious as the ingredients suggest. ❤❤

Quick update, just checked online and our local Kroger's carries garam masala, yay woohoo!

Tell us how it turned out! I have a friend whose family eats entirely a plant-based diet. The husband uses the chickpea water to make meringue cookies and as an egg white substitute. They also introduced me to black bean brownies. I'm glad you reminded me of some of these other healthy swaps. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Thank you for sharing that recipe. I have several cans of chickpeas and now I know what I'll do with 2 of them lol. I used to keep garam masala around and got hooked on it. Hope I can find it locally (living in WV, it's possible but not likely). Anyway, I hope yours turned out as delicious as the ingredients suggest. ❤❤

Quick update, just checked online and our local Kroger's carries garam masala, yay woohoo!
Mine was delish but I didn't use the garam masala, my family does not like the cinnamon taste it gives so I substituted curry powder, also added the liquid from the beans and added 2 additional cans of beans minus the liquid.
Tell us how it turned out! I have a friend whose family eats entirely a plant-based diet. The husband uses the chickpea water to make meringue cookies and as an egg white substitute. They also introduced me to black bean brownies. I'm glad you reminded me of some of these other healthy swaps. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
It turned out Ah-mazing! I enjoyed my half cup no rice just as is so satisfying. My hubby, milk and son all had with brown rice, Naan bread and salad and loved it.

Back