• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Change of smell

Hi Tracy , I'm having the same issues what are you doing for it ?

Actually it’s gotten a lot better Gentry. I’m 2 years post-op - certain smells can still set it off. But for the most part it’s a lot better.

If I’m fixing something that gives me the heaves or hurls - I’ll eat a couple of saltine crackers and drink a couple of sips of diet sprite. It may sound weird but it works.

I also had/have certain foods that even 2 post-op I still have issues with. The main one if frying meat. That I don’t stay in the house for. It’s just gross. I can eat it but can’t tolerate the smell of it cooking.

Most all of those issues work themselves out one way or another. Just ride it out. I know it sounds gross but I literally had a bucket in the kitchen when I would cook in the first months after surgery. Best of luck to you!

Still happens. Though I narrowed down the odor. This might be harsh for some but growing up hunting for me it smells like a cold deer carcass, specifically when you peel the hide off and the fat layer and hide is exposed to the air. To me it smells exactly like that. I found beef, butter, animal oils, when I pass gass, have a bowel movement....all smells just like that. Passed something dead along side the road, and my wife made comment that is smells like a dead skunk. I only smelled that deer fat smell. I was sort of giddy today, someone's service dog crapped on the floor in walmart and walking by it with my wife goine "Eeew" I smelled that deer fat smell but also a hint of dog feces. So I was relieved I could smell that.

I had Covid back in November but this all came about months later. My guess is that the sinus infection I got later is what is causing it. Hopefully it will wear off soon.

Thank the Good Lord that my sense of smell and taste never changed after gastric bypass July 11th. My protein shakes never tasted any differently than pre-surgery. Meat so far smells & tastes exactly like before. I just don't want to eat bread, pasta, most carbs, but that's a matter of self brain washing and not a problem if I eat them. I hope y'all find some relief from all the bad smells & tastes.

Actually it’s gotten a lot better Gentry. I’m 2 years post-op - certain smells can still set it off. But for the most part it’s a lot better.

If I’m fixing something that gives me the heaves or hurls - I’ll eat a couple of saltine crackers and drink a couple of sips of diet sprite. It may sound weird but it works.

I also had/have certain foods that even 2 post-op I still have issues with. The main one if frying meat. That I don’t stay in the house for. It’s just gross. I can eat it but can’t tolerate the smell of it cooking.

Most all of those issues work themselves out one way or another. Just ride it out. I know it sounds gross but I literally had a bucket in the kitchen when I would cook in the first months after surgery. Best of luck to you!

Thanks Tracey I'm praying it will pass . The thing is idk when it will happened. I have basically cut out meat , I noticed that also a lot of the sugar free drinks will make me feel sick , I have been drinking a little ginger ale and it helps . She wants me to have my gall bladder tested but I truly don't believe it's that because I'm not having any pain nor is it every day . Thank You

I don't know what's "bariatric" about your iron, but it is a very specific mineral that must be taken a certain way.

Never take calcium, or any other mineral, within two hours of taking iron. If possible, take iron at bedtime on an empty stomach.

It's always a good idea to take supplements at least two hours apart. Minerals cancel other minerals out.

Studying nutritional supplements will help you get the maximum benefit out of them. Personally, I think bariatric vitamins are a scam. Read the label. Flintstones and Centrum have almost identical RDAs.

In August I'll be 15 years out. I spent my first seven post-op years in a university study. My numbers have always been good.

It's great that the VA tested your blood. That's the best measurement for bariatric health

I have been taking prescription ferrous sulfate 325 mg with Vitamin C every other day for a couple of years now because of slight anemia. I don't know if over the counter iron is potent enough, but your dr. should be able to advise you if a prescription iron is better absorbed. And Diane is spot on about making sure you separate your calcium, etc, from your iron supplements. Good luck.

I really am curious why this happens to some of y'all. I never experienced any changes in my smelling or tasting. Protein shakes still taste good, and I have no noticeable phantom smells.
My smell didn't change but it seems very sensitive now. I get very overwhelmed with perfumes and strong smells. I guess my taste changed a veery little. Only with some protein shake flavors, same brand I used before surgery I don't like some of the flavors I did before.

Back