• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Changes after bypass

Ilovejenna2

i have a few questions. Did anybody's smell tolerance change? I can not take smells at all anymore and it's only been since the 26, also I get this sharp stabbing pain on my left side and sometimes it hurts so bad, is that normal healing?? Will it eventually go away? And one last thing , it was mentioned you might get depressed after surgery with the change and not having the comfort of food, anybody else experiencing this, I can't sleep and I just feel lost. Thank you

i have a few questions. Did anybody's smell tolerance change? I can not take smells at all anymore and it's only been since the 26, also I get this sharp stabbing pain on my left side and sometimes it hurts so bad, is that normal healing?? Will it eventually go away? And one last thing , it was mentioned you might get depressed after surgery with the change and not having the comfort of food, anybody else experiencing this, I can't sleep and I just feel lost. Thank you
I never experienced any smell changes after surgery, and I would contact my surgeon regarding the sharp stabbing pain. Everyone has a different healing process and experience, but I would get that checked out if you're in that type of pain. Don't assume it's normal until you find out for sure. You may mourn the foods you used to eat, and the "old behaviors" don't go away all because you had the surgery. It takes time and patience with the entire process and it doesn't happen overnight. If you want to be successful on this path, then educate yourself on a daily basis on what to expect immediately after having surgery. Many surgeons encourage patients to seek out professional help after surgery to assist you with the "transition". Any support you need is available if you inquire at your doctor's office. It's not easy in the beginning since it's like being a newborn baby, learning how to eat all over again. We are re-learning how to eat slowly, healthy, and mindfully. We've practiced habits that were hurtful to our well-being and now we have to modify and reset ourselves to a new and improved way to asses this journey for the rest of our lives. Hang in there, it gets better, I promise you...Please call your doctor.

Hi IloveJenna,

I had surgery on 7/11 and thus far there really hasn't been any pain. If you are still experiencing pain I would contact your medical team /staff where you did your surgery to get it checked out. I noticed some discomfort and found stretching helped a lot.

Smells did get to me the first day after surgery (made me nauseous). Since then smells are fine. I'm back to flavoring my food with garlic & Italian seasoning and pepper! ;)

If you're experiencing depression or wanting /craving comfort foods... I would again contact your support staff /team at your Bariatric center. They can assist you with whom you would want to talk with about these issues. Remember, this is a new life style and change is good. You don't want to eat for comfort or depression any more. This is a new you! Try out the schedule for meals and sample menus they gave you to try to get yourself on track. ;)

Good luck!!

Back