• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

CHAT

YES, yes, yes to everything you said! I agree 100%. I am a smart person. I make a point to read something every day about WLS and visit two support groups daily. I am probably overly consumed with information at this point. But the human body can be stupid and make stupid choices and that’s what I did to get to this weight.

Speaking of being stupid, I totally had a brain fart and forgot that having a wife does not mean you’re a man. My stupid mistake.
No worries! I will put a picture up eventually. I just never think about when I am on my phone. I don't like the website on my phone, they need to create an APP!

There is an APP? I couldn't find one. What is it called?
I don't know its name. A message just popped up on my phone screen asking permission to install it. It was a long time ago and I didn't pay attention to details. So long as I could put a shortcut on my desktop, that's all I cared about.

I'll do some research when I have time, see if I can find it, but this group is sponsored by the American Bariatric Society (I think), so there should be a link. I think the acronym is AMBS or ABS_ something... Go to their website.

I couldn't agree more about the need for chat. I set up an adjunct Yahoo group and linked it here years ago, but it never caught on.

The DM feature allows for a lot of people to be included, but it excludes lurkers and readers.

Maybe there's a tech-savvy person reading who can get americanbariatrics.org to perk up its ears. We need chat.

New topic. Why do so many people fail after surgery? It’s kind of surprising to me how many patients “cheat” and find a way to eat the crappy food that made them obese in the first place.
I'm not sure it's accurate to say "so many... fail." I've never found a source that had access to millions of confidential medical files, which is the only way one could accurately measure this.

I never told anyone I had the surgery except my ex and my son. So unless my hospital was illegally sharing information from my files, I couldn't be included in this number.

Who can gather this info and analyze it? Isn't it possible this statement isn't based in fact?

The few people I know, outside of this group, confirmed to similar phases. They reached goals, changed dietary habits permanently, gained about 10% of their weight back after one year, and settled into a new set point, where positive eating became the norm.

That's exactly what happened to me. I remember talking to a manager in my weight loss team who told me I'd probably gain about 25 pounds after the first year of loss. Infuriating! But it happens.

Sometimes the body reads rapid or large weight loss as starvation, so "adaptive thermogenesis" kicks on, holding on to fat stores that it uses for physical energy.

What has worked for me is varying amounts, frequency and types of fuel. I've eaten low-calorie foods for days, then chowed down on a big, greasy cheeseburger and registered a impressive weight loss the day after. But this is actually a modified version of how we SHOULD eat. Varying carbs and protein, along with other nutrients and water, is a conversation you can have with your body that your metabolism understands

Don't try that cheeseburger thing. Know what's in your food and make sure you have variety.

The only real poison, IMO, is refined sugar. Your body doesn't know what to do with it. But if you only eat sugar when a time of activity is attached, it WILL be converted to fuel.

At least, that's how it works for me.

Oh, and it's important to remember that "failure" is an arbitrary term used across the huge spectrum of people with all kinds of natural shapes and weights. A healthy person may have wide hips and diminutive breasts, or burlesque-level pulchritude. There is no perfect body.

I suggest "failure" should be the new F-word.

Good grief Diane, this is not how CHAT works. It’s supposed to be a light hearted, brief chat, not a 500 word reply. I feel like you’re lecturing me and picking apart my words. I’ve already had a stressful day. I don’t need a lesson on sugar and carbs.

I don't know, I've been away from the group and may have missed something, but it seems that the climate in this group has changed a bit.

Might I suggest that we remember this is a support group with many different personalities. Some write few words, others are full of things to say. What helps one may not help another. If we keep that in mind, take what you need from this group and leave the rest. And above all, lets be kind.

New topic. Why do so many people fail after surgery? It’s kind of surprising to me how many patients “cheat” and find a way to eat the crappy food that made them obese in the first place.
I cheated because I could not get the best of my hunger. I practically woke up from surgery ravenous. I also don't feel much restriction, never did. I can actually eat three pieces of pizza without batting an eye. All in all, I shouldn't have had the surgery.

But I did, and now I am trying to make up for past bad behavior.

Back