• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Chewing gum?

If you swallow anything, it could get stuck. I chew gum AND I swallow it if I can't find a proper way to dispose it. I was never told I couldn't chew gum.

Here's a summary of a study related to the effects of chewing gum from a professional gastrointestinal journal:

Chewing gum did not have any significant effect on gastric transit time (rate ratio 1.06; 95% CI, 0.73-1.55; P = .75), small-bowel transit time (rate ratio 0.91; 95% CI, 0.62-1.35; P = .65), or completion rate (91.67% chewing gum vs 88.71% control, P = .58) of CE.

the entire PDF is here: The effect of chewing gum on small-bowel transit time in capsule endoscopy: a prospective, randomized trial

From what I understand, there is no negative effect whatsoever, and these people deal with serious bowel issues and reconstruction, including colostomy. On the big plus side, chewing gum increases production of saliva, which helps food travel through the digestive system.

It's amazing how many questions come up without easily accessible answers after surgery.

Also, I know that even medical professionals have prejudices that have no basis in science, but in random fears.

Back