• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Clothes for the “leaning” time

Christy0829

Hi all, I’m finding that just over 3 weeks post op and I’m struggling to dig out clothes/under clothes that fit. I gradually lost about 50 pounds in the 9 months leading up to my surgery, and although some things were looser, they weren’t feeling sloppy like they are now. I don’t like the thought of spending money on clothes and such that I know will end up not fitting again in a couple months. We do not have extra storage space in our home, so packing things away ‘just in case’ is not a viable option. Wondering what others did during their shedding days they found helpful.

I hit the big Three (Goodwill, Salvation Army & St. Vincent) here in Seattle at first and bought stretchy knits at first. But since I live in Microsoftland, where their rich employees live in certain neighborhoods near the campuses, I started going to those places where I'd get high-quality, expensive items, many with the tags still on, never worn, and picked up gorgeous separates for a few bucks. My biggest scores were things I could never afford, like Burberry coats and cocktail dresses, wool slacks and designer labels. I still have a lot of them after 10 to 15 years of wear. I love to eat and I definitely have an eating disorder, but I think I'm more addicted to fashion. These tony places also had gorgeous shoes and bags so as I got thin, I got really gussied up. Even 100% cotton separates have some give to them, so I could buy a 12 when I was still a 14, and I'd eventually under-grow It. I still hit the thrift shops instead of department stores because it's shocking the beautiful things people toss out unworn, including lingerie (no panties though... I always buy new), gowns, fabulous sleepwear and sweaters.

I like vintage fashion so I also found a LOT of fantastic things on eBay, including a 1929 Hart-Marx tuxedo jacket with tails! Love wearing it over my Levi's!

Last edited:
I was working in a public environment where business dress was required so, sloppy wasn't really an option. I was never lucky enough to hit the jackpot at thrift stores. So, I went to places like Marshall's and Ross Dress for Less, etc For me, dresses were easiest, because they can look nice slightly tight all the way to loose. You are going to go through sizes pretty quickly, so stick to black or neutral colors right now. They have the best option of a less than perfect fit being noticed immediately.

Also, check with your program. Mine ran a monthly clothing exchange for patients to "swap". Except during Covid, when I had my surgery

And comfort yourself with the knowledge that whatever you outgrow, you can donate to others in need.

I love clothes and was one to hang on to all sizes, so fortunately, had lots of intermediate options. I’ve finally hit the bottom of my smaller sizes and moved onto my daughter’s closet, which has been handy. My dilemma is wanting to hang onto my fat clothes, just in case. I buy good quality clothing, and have a hard time getting rid of it. I have to get rid of my backup plan “in case I get fat again”!

Noo!! Get rid of those "fat" clothes!! Especially if you have good stuff!! So many larger women have a hard time finding decent work quality clothing without a good budget. You can change someone's life (a put together person is more likely to get hired) AND commit to your health and weight loss at the same time!

I too have a hard time getting rid of "fat" clothes! I kept clothes at sizes when I was smaller, so I don't need to buy at the moment. I stick to wearing my trusty black leggings from Macy's (I have several pairs) and the XXL is loose but still fits "enough" so no buying of clothes for me just yet...this past week, the weather was warm enough I was so happy I fit into 2 of my old sundresses I had saved. It still hasn't registered in my mind that I have lost weight.

I hit the big Three (Goodwill, Salvation Army & St. Vincent) here in Seattle at first and bought stretchy knits at first. But since I live in Microsoftland, where their rich employees live in certain neighborhoods near the campuses, I started going to those places where I'd get high-quality, expensive items, many with the tags still on, never worn, and picked up gorgeous separates for a few bucks. My biggest scores were things I could never afford, like Burberry coats and cocktail dresses, wool slacks and designer labels. I still have a lot of them after 10 to 15 years of wear. I love to eat and I definitely have an eating disorder, but I think I'm more addicted to fashion. These tony places also had gorgeous shoes and bags so as I got thin, I got really gussied up. Even 100% cotton separates have some give to them, so I could buy a 12 when I was still a 14, and I'd eventually under-grow It. I still hit the thrift shops instead of department stores because it's shocking the beautiful things people toss out unworn, including lingerie (no panties though... I always buy new), gowns, fabulous sleepwear and sweaters.

I like vintage fashion so I also found a LOT of fantastic things on eBay, including a 1929 Hart-Marx tuxedo jacket with tails! Love wearing it over my Levi's!
View attachment 5577
Thank you!! I love that!!

I love clothes and was one to hang on to all sizes, so fortunately, had lots of intermediate options. I’ve finally hit the bottom of my smaller sizes and moved onto my daughter’s closet, which has been handy. My dilemma is wanting to hang onto my fat clothes, just in case. I buy good quality clothing, and have a hard time getting rid of it. I have to get rid of my backup plan “in case I get fat again”!
I actually JUST got rid of most of my smaller clothes from several years ago. It was so hard to do at the time as I was a little bit (ok, a big bit) of a clothes monger. And not cheap stuff either! I just threw two hefty garbage bags of clothes into my car to donate. And my mom was so cute and bought me a couple zip front hoodies (because I’m always cold) and an adorable jumper. I acquired a few items in the last couple days also from my bestie, but not sure they will work yet as I have about 6 inches of height on her! Lol. Dianne, I love your idea of going to some swanky neighborhoods to thrift, and missy! I hadn’t even thought about asking about a clothing exchange!! Thanks so much guys!! You are all so great. I’m so very grateful for all your help and input. P.s. suthy, I’m with missy, toss out those big clothes, trust in yourself! You have the tools to never have to go back there again.

I was working in a public environment where business dress was required so, sloppy wasn't really an option. I was never lucky enough to hit the jackpot at thrift stores. So, I went to places like Marshall's and Ross Dress for Less, etc For me, dresses were easiest, because they can look nice slightly tight all the way to loose. You are going to go through sizes pretty quickly, so stick to black or neutral colors right now. They have the best option of a less than perfect fit being noticed immediately.

Also, check with your program. Mine ran a monthly clothing exchange for patients to "swap". Except during Covid, when I had my surgery

And comfort yourself with the knowledge that whatever you outgrow, you can donate to others in need.
Luckily, I am a transit bus driver in an incredible union that gives us extra uniform allowances for every 25 pounds or so of weight we loose or health improvement we make. I saved $350 of my yearly allotment for this time. I don’t know what I’d do if I had to dress professionally at work! (Not that a uniform isn’t professional attire, but I don’t have to think about what I wear when I go back to work which is nice).

Too bad we didn't all live near each other to engage in clothing exchanges! That would be so fun! I love that a doctor's office engages in that practice for its patients! I liked my surgeon a lot, but that hospital system doesn't offer much in terms of other supports post surgery.

I was doing my monthly household shopping today at Walmart. Found some really cute spring/summer dresses in pretty colors for $10-$20. I haven’t bought clothes from there since high school- like 40 yrs ago! Looking forward to warm weather so I can wear them. My go-to stores now are TJ Maxx, Marshall’s, Ross (which is hit or miss), & Old Navy. Always check the clearance racks!

If you have office apparel look online for “dress for success . Org” these clothes will be given to someone to interview and start a new job. I found one in St. Louis that I am finally going to take my clothes to, I am still trying to find a place to take husbands clothes to. Looking for a vets or veterans drop off. Keep getting run around on internet look ups.

Oh, Roni, you reminded me of something. I had mentioned the Salvation Army and I think I was talking about its various forms of charity. But I know I forgot to mention that here in Seattle, and maybe everywhere, The Salvation Army has a Clothing Bank specifically for workplace apparel. So you can go in in your ratty clothes and get a nice outfit and a pair of shoes good enough to blend in at the office, even if you're broke, or you're still interviewing for jobs.

So after the plumber left I had to go buy new faucets for shower and 1/2 bathroom. Too old to just replace washers without causing other problems. The helper at the store was previously a Covid screener at local Va office. He sent me to them to talk to the social worker there. I learned the local office gets homeless vets and keeps a small supply of clothes there. They accepted 10 flannel/thermal shirts and 6 pairs of jeans for donation. Happy dance.

Back