• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Coffee after surgery

Dragonfly4u

Ok being very honest here not only is my body craving raw green vegies, but I am dying for coffee with vanilla creamer. I gave up coffee starting a month before surgery and went through caffeine withdrawal headaches that were the worst. I know I can't have my raw green vegies yet, but can I have coffee and use my vanilla premier protein shake as a flavoring? Has anyone else done this? Also, my diet suggestions from the surgeon just says to avoid caffeine, alcohol and carbonated beverages.

Attachments

• coffee.jpg
    coffee.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 37
Ok being very honest here not only is my body craving raw green vegies, but I am dying for coffee with vanilla creamer. I gave up coffee starting a month before surgery and went through caffeine withdrawal headaches that were the worst. I know I can't have my raw green vegies yet, but can I have coffee and use my vanilla premier protein shake as a flavoring? Has anyone else done this? Also, my diet suggestions from the surgeon just says to avoid caffeine, alcohol and carbonated beverages.
My program took us off coffee, tea, citrus, alcohol, caffeine, and who knows what else, a year prior to surgery. I have no idea why I didn't have a caffeine withdrawal since I'm a coffee addict but I was mostly irritated due to having to leave the one thing I really wanted. And I just drink lattes, with milk nothing else. I found a coffee through Amazon, think it's called Taylors, that is low acid and decaf. I asked the nutritionists for months if I could have that and the surgeons wouldn't sign off on it until I was a week or so post-op. Then the nutritionists allowed us to have 8 oz of decaf coffee a day. I just couldn't hang any longer and went back to my regular coffee intake without any problems.

My program took us off coffee, tea, citrus, alcohol, caffeine, and who knows what else, a year prior to surgery. I have no idea why I didn't have a caffeine withdrawal since I'm a coffee addict but I was mostly irritated due to having to leave the one thing I really wanted. And I just drink lattes, with milk nothing else. I found a coffee through Amazon, think it's called Taylors, that is low acid and decaf. I asked the nutritionists for months if I could have that and the surgeons wouldn't sign off on it until I was a week or so post-op. Then the nutritionists allowed us to have 8 oz of decaf coffee a day. I just couldn't hang any longer and went back to my regular coffee intake without any problems.

Kristilyn,

I am glad to hear you had no issues with regular coffee because part of my love of coffee is the jolt of caffeine. I'm not in any program which I think has pros and cons. I don't have another appointment with the nutritionist until December and I guess I could call her but my surgeons' guidelines just say to avoid the caffeine, alcohol and carbonated drinks not that I explicitly can't have them. So I think I may try just a small amount of the low acid variety to start and see what happens. So far, I have not had any issues with anything I have eaten or drank so I am hoping for the best.

Definitely try the lower acid variety!! Sometimes the acid can bother your stomach this early out. Also, coffee is a diuretic, so make sure you drink extra water.

Missy,

I am going to wait another week until I'm at a month out from surgery and then try the low acid variety. I didn't realize coffee was a diuretic so yeah, I will make sure to have extra water. I'm hoping I can mix in some of my protein shake to get that with the coffee. Not sure if it will taste like my old creamer but I will give it a try. So far, I have had no issues with my stomach when eating or drinking but I am still in the pureed food stage so that's probably why.

At 3 weeks postop I was in same boat. I NEEDED my coffee back. I do drink it, but usually a small cup, and sometimes I don't even finish it. I also put protein shake in it. I've been fine, and like everything, moderation. But they will tell you it's a no no.
I don't drink sodas with caffeine but I do have one carefully crafted cup of coffee almost every day. I grind my own beans from my favorite vendors and use good filters and follow the Melita directions I learned back in the 70s. I boil the water, wet the grounds let them sit for 30 seconds or so, then measure the water and pour it into the cone quickly, allowing it to grab all those fresh, fragrant grounds and drip them through into the pot or cup underneath.

I think it's probably a good idea to limit yourself to one caffeine beverage a day after bariatric surgery, largely because it might make you too full to take in the pure water you SHOULD be drinking. I'd guess that the number one problem people have when trying to adopt a healthy life is trying to get 6 to 8 glasses of water in every day. I measure mine into a pitcher and put it in the fridge. No problem.

My opinion of people who advise going off caffeine are not people who drink it. But I also think it's likely the majority of people who drink soft drinks or coffee or tea go overboard routinely. Water is good for you in so many ways (do a web search to find out how good it is for your organs). But a caffeinated beverage or two a day, as Sailor notes, can't really be physiologically bad for you.

My new doc isn’t against the cafinated coffee, big issue is it causes dehydration . So if you stay hydrated it should be fine for you .
In fact I hadn’t peed after surgery and I told them I needed a cup of coffee and they brought me one . Then sucrss

I'm 11 months post op. I drink an Atkins coffee protein shake with fair life fat free milk everyday. I don't have any issues and started at about 3 months post op.

Chobani makes a 20g protein shake called Coffee and Cream. The shake also comes in other flavors, and I incorporate them into my weekly diet. I had sleeve surgery last winter, and I began drinking regular coffee a little while after my surgery, just in small amounts, and I was okay.

My dietician also still does not advise caffeine, because no caffeinated bevs count toward my 64 oz /day rule. I use low acid varieties and am up to half caf now, when I have it, I make a mug in the am for me however i want (usually with protein rich skim milk and miralax mixed in), I try to finish it because it tastes so unique from everything else all day. I hate that it cools down before I can finish it but then I add ice and enjoy it that way til its gone. Nutritionally it seems to be about the caffeine, all bevs with caffeine are also forbidden.

My dietician also still does not advise caffeine, because no caffeinated bevs count toward my 64 oz /day rule. I use low acid varieties and am up to half caf now, when I have it, I make a mug in the am for me however i want (usually with protein rich skim milk and miralax mixed in), I try to finish it because it tastes so unique from everything else all day. I hate that it cools down before I can finish it but then I add ice and enjoy it that way til its gone. Nutritionally it seems to be about the caffeine, all bevs with caffeine are also forbidden.
They don’t want you counting it as it causes fluid loss . Add a cup of water for every cup of coffee drank

Missy,

I am going to wait another week until I'm at a month out from surgery and then try the low acid variety. I didn't realize coffee was a diuretic so yeah, I will make sure to have extra water. I'm hoping I can mix in some of my protein shake to get that with the coffee. Not sure if it will taste like my old creamer but I will give it a try. So far, I have had no issues with my stomach when eating or drinking but I am still in the pureed food stage so that's probably why.
I'm 3 days post op and I miss my coffee so much! My team says to wait a year before introducing coffee back in. I don't think I can wait that long! Best of luck on your journey!

Missy,

I use the premiere protein and it’s pretty good with the coffee. I have not had my surgery yet but I am sad to go without coffee too. I can attest to premier protein as coffee creamer. It’s good in cold brew as an iced coffee too!

I think one of the big issues with caffeine is how it can dehydrate you.

Back