• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Coffee?

El, I grew up in a farming community but my dad also had a job in addition to the farm, so we skipped having a cow to milk and raised one steer every year to butcher and feed 8 kids. Dad fished every day after work hoping to catch a steelhead salmon and usually did. And we had chickens we used for eggs and meat.

We (family of 10 total) bought 14 gallons of milk every week from a local dairy farmer.

That was two large classic milk cans with lids, you know, the old fashioned kind. Anyway, we skimmed the cream right away and sometimes made butter by shaking cream in a jar with an ice cube. But at some point the work had to stop. it's exhausting to work on a farm!

I have not had coffee since my pre op diet. I miss it. Can anyone share their experience with coffee and how/if you sweeten it? U am wondering if it is even worth incorporating it back in. I am 2 1/2 weeks out and would not be able to drink much if it anyway right now.
As long as it is decaffeinated coffee you can have it. You shouldn’t use creamers unless they are non dairy and low calorie. You can sweeten it with a little Splenda.

I have not had coffee since my pre op diet. I miss it. Can anyone share their experience with coffee and how/if you sweeten it? U am wondering if it is even worth incorporating it back in. I am 2 1/2 weeks out and would not be able to drink much if it anyway right now.
I had to be off of any kind of coffee and black tea for a year due to acid content. I found something low acid and decaf on Amazon. It's Taylor's coffee. I still wasn't given the clearance until a couple of months post op. Now I drink regular coffee even though they don't recommend it.

I just have a premier protein coffee shake in the morning and a reduced calorie hot chocolate later on . Sometimes I have a Starbucks Frappuccino and it doesn’t bother me . Maybe once or twice a month.

I am not usually able to finish it (I am allowed 200mg of caffeine so I actually come in a little under my limit) but I use a very small amount of cream and then use sugar free syrup to sweeten it. If I am out and about and didnt make my coffee at home I occasionally get a tall cold brew from starbucks with 3 pumps of sf vanilla, extra ice and a splash of half and half double blended.

I am one year post op and I drink decaf coffee every day. I put a splash of vanilla protein shake and a squirt of the Skinny syrup, sugar free, fat free, carb free, salted carmel syrup. Its delicious and I drink about 3 cups a day!

I have coffee most mornings I will be home for awhile, at first i used decaf foldgers with sugarfree or fat free creamer (to cut down on calories compared to heavy cream). Its fluids that count even though I don't usually mix protein in. I have a meal with protein in it instead, such as an egg or yogurt. Now that they allow me to have caffeine, I join in when my husband makes reg too. I always opt for smooth low acid varieties. 1 cup a day is all I want really, but warm bevs are more agreeable to my pouch than cold sometimes.

Back