• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Coming up on 2 Weeks post-op

geostone

It's been two weeks since my gastric bypass. The first 7-10 days on the liquid diet went okay and, since I wasn't having any problems, I got the go ahead to more to puree diet. Puree meant chew well! However, the last 4-5 days have been a struggle for two reasons. First, I've felt faint on and off during these days. I've been unstable standing and walking for more than a few seconds to a minute or so. Secondly, I've been on a salt binge! Dill pickles and pepperoncini, please! I know that these things have lots of sodium, so that's not good. Weigh-in days are Fridays, so I'll check on that tomorrow. I'm open to ideas about what, if anything, to do about these matters.

It's been two weeks since my gastric bypass. The first 7-10 days on the liquid diet went okay and, since I wasn't having any problems, I got the go ahead to more to puree diet. Puree meant chew well! However, the last 4-5 days have been a struggle for two reasons. First, I've felt faint on and off during these days. I've been unstable standing and walking for more than a few seconds to a minute or so. Secondly, I've been on a salt binge! Dill pickles and pepperoncini, please! I know that these things have lots of sodium, so that's not good. Weigh-in days are Fridays, so I'll check on that tomorrow. I'm open to ideas about what, if anything, to do about these matters.
Do you keep track of what, when, & how much you are eating & drinking? I had gastric bypass on July 12th & came home the next day.

Since then, I keep a notebook that I use daily to show my 4 (or more) 16 oz water bottles, when I start & stop drinking each one to give myself 1/2 hr before & after each meal. I record each meal & snack. I also track what time I take each vitamin & medicine.

I wanted my stomach to heal well as I went through each stage. I stayed on my liquid diet for 3 rather than 2 weeks. I was very careful about what I ate at the pureed stage, staying on that for 3 wks also. I usually had a 30 gr protein shake as a meal each day to increase my protein levels.

Making sure I have at least 64 ozs of water is a top priority to stay hydrated. Judy is correct in suggesting you may need to make certain that you are getting enough water. Checking with your bariatric team is an excellent idea.

Please stay in touch & let us know how you are doing. Good luck!

It's been two weeks since my gastric bypass. The first 7-10 days on the liquid diet went okay and, since I wasn't having any problems, I got the go ahead to more to puree diet. Puree meant chew well!

Geo, puree means puree. That involves a blender or food processor or some kind of masher--or baby food.

Your stomach still needs to heal, so only eat stuff that slides through easily.

I remember putting a cheeseburger in a blender when I moved to puree.

Everything you eat should have a consistency like pudding.

As to your lightheadedness, hie thee to yon physician for a complete physical. You could have a middle-ear problem or infection.

We can't diagnose you here. But I never had any of the symptoms you list. It's a common thing that post-bari patients might attribute every odd physical problem to surgery. It might be unrelated.

Don't risk it.

Any time anyone is on a keto diet aka low carb, salt cravings are natural. For one, you probably need it. You're taking in fewer carbs and carbs aid in storing water, and you are not producing as much insulin, so you body is getting rid of sodium faster. If you google it, you may find some interesting reads about it. I've been craving salt too hehe. I drink pickle juice off and on. I'm about a month in after RNY.

Geo, puree means puree. That involves a blender or food processor or some kind of masher--or baby food.

Your stomach still needs to heal, so only eat stuff that slides through easily.

I remember putting a cheeseburger in a blender when I moved to puree.

Everything you eat should have a consistency like pudding.

As to your lightheadedness, hie thee to yon physician for a complete physical. You could have a middle-ear problem or infection.

We can't diagnose you here. But I never had any of the symptoms you list. It's a common thing that post-bari patients might attribute every odd physical problem to surgery. It might be unrelated.

Don't risk it.

This is doctor dependant. When I moved to that stage I was told food that could be easily chewed to mush. It didn't necessarily have to go through a blender

This is doctor dependant. When I moved to that stage I was told food that could be easily chewed to mush. It didn't necessarily have to go through a blender
Well, then it's not pureed, is it?

I take cooking terms literally. And following surgery, literally. This is how people fail. It's very hard to rely on how one chews because people don't chew to a standard of puree.

If your doctor says puree, s/he doesn't mean "chew well." The pureed stage is essential to post-op success.

I wouldn't advise anyone with an eating disorder that led to obesity to go straight from liquid to chewing. Staged eating exists for health reasons, and a big part of that is re-education.

Worked wonders for me.

Does anyone other then I wonder how we are all getting WLS. But the Dr's advice is so different?

I noticed this with just my own surgeon. When I see and hear some of the old information he gave to the info I was given at the time of surgery was not the same. (I had DR Winer who has a lot on the internet for years)

Not everybody that has surgery has an eating disorder......

My doc still called it pureed stage but I didn't have to blend it down. I could do tuna, shredded chicken ect. As long as it was chewed well.

I think its best they follow what their doc says and not non medical experts on this board.

Does anyone other then I wonder how we are all getting WLS. But the Dr's advice is so different?

I noticed this with just my own surgeon. When I see and hear some of the old information he gave to the info I was given at the time of surgery was not the same. (I had DR Winer who has a lot on the internet for years)

Nothing is ever "one size fits all." When I had my surgery my doc was different from my surgeon who was different from he the dietician. The doc and surgeon where mire online then the dietician

Back