• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Coming up on my two year anniversary and I still feel inferior to everyone!

Jill and Butterfly-Welcome to the forum. Make sure to come back to let everyone know how you are doing. Whatever questions or advice you have, feel free to post. We are a very laid back and friendly bunch of people who try to help each other out, plus we have a good time :) :) :)

I have a question. After I have the gastric bypass, I hope to lose 100 pounds (or a little more). Am I likely to end up with loose skin losing that amount of weight? I'm 61 years old and already have small wrinkly "wings" beneath my upper arms. I also have a huge flap in my tummy area from birthing 2 children. It contains a lot of fat. Is that flabby area in my tummy likely to reduce in size or get bigger? If you end up with a lot of flab, what criteria do you need to meet to have your insurance pay for a tummy tuck?

There has to be a way that you can dress that would help you feel better. Spanks undergarments are amazing. Also there are bras with full body coverage to eliminate back fat. I have had a tummy tuck and I can tell you that changed the entire way my body looked. I have reached my goal several years ago. I have been fortunate that I have kept most of my weight off for the past 14 years. Every now and then I creep up 15-20 but whenever that happens I start a weight control diet. Right now I am on Ideal Protein and it is the best I have ever felt in my life post op. I have more energy than I know what to do with. I've lost eight pounds my first week. I only have a few pounds to go to get down to my lightest weight yet. And I love the way I feel. I've shared all of this to let you know it does get better, things change and you change with it. If someone had told me that 15 years ago when I spent 54 days in the hospital from a ruptured bowel losing my 5 month pregnancy, I would have thought they were crazy. I was cut open three times, lost all of my hair and many days thought I was going to die... literally the day before my 34 birthday I spent hours vomiting only to end up in surgery to awaken to my stomach left open with a wet to dry pack and my hands tied to the bed. I guess I had been trying to take out the tube down my nose.... Oh, and to top that off I lost my job and had no hair... and three months before all of that I lost my Mom to breast cancer. They say when it rains it pours... that was one hell of a thunderstorm... got struck by lightening a couple of times and did not think I was going to make it. They actually had to resesitate me once...... Can I tell you something? I'm going to assume since you are in this forum you are looking for advice. So here goes..... embrace your body... it is the only one you have. At 43 it is time to move beyond the physical restrictions that you allow your mind to create. With a new perspective you can think you way to happiness. That is the simple truth. It's all about how you perceive the situation. If you perceive this second chance for what it is..... a second chance, you can create your own destiny. You can choose to love you body, love yourself and begin looking at yourself a whole new way. You are beautiful just the way you are. God doesn't make any mistakes... beauty comes from within... confidence and joy... that's quite the combination. I know you have seen heavy women who just glow... they love life and have someone who loves them and it shows in their face... their eyes.... you can have that too. You just have to make the first choice to choose to love yourself. I hope you find the courage to love your body and recognise it is the only one you are going to get.... :eek:

Wow!!! You really gave me a reality check and a good kick in the butt - just what I needed. I'd thought about the Spanx idea. Are they hot to wear, and do they really help to hide the flab? I live in Florida, so the temperature really gets hot. What is a full-coverage bra? I've got big boobs, and I haven't been able to find a bra that fits (comfortably), since I gained the weight. It's so bad that I always wear the nipple petals or paste-on bra's. I'd gone to a psychologist for several years to learn to deal with some horrific events in my past. You helped to remind me of the coping mechanisms she taught me. I'll have to put them into use while I'm losing the weight. I've been picturing the flab hanging to my knees. Maybe it won't be that bad. Thanks again for your words of wisdom.

Spanx is a great idea for belly and side flab. I was exploring the internet and ran across another website for post gastric surgery patients. It's called "Lipo in a Box". They offer all kinds of clothing to hide the humps and bumps.

Barb, I didn't intend to kick you in the butt.... I just wanted to share my life's experience with you to inspire you in knowing that this really deos get better. I hope I was successful. I lived in St Petersburg for a year 8 years ago. I think Spanks will be fine. Just imagine the fat/skin kinda free hanging and the possibility of sweating between "rolls" I think the spanks will help keep it all compact. I love Maxi dresses. Put on a spanks and an empire waist dress and you will love your look! The bra is called unbelievabra from Shapeez. It was featured on Oprah as one of her favorite things...it is like wearing a tank top / bra because it covers you like a tank top The lycra in the bodice hold you in a couple of inches but more importantly it eliminates those back roles/ tight bras that create rolls because of where it is. How it does this is it is a bra /body shaper that yu ave to have q
Wow!!! You really gave me a reality check and a good kick in the butt - just what I needed. I'd thought about the Spanx idea. Are they hot to wear, and do they really help to hide the flab? I live in Florida, so the temperature really gets hot. What is a full-coverage bra? I've got big boobs, and I haven't been able to find a bra that fits (comfortably), since I gained the weight. It's so bad that I always wear the nipple petals or paste-on bra's. I'd gone to a psychologist for several years to learn to deal with some horrific events in my past. You helped to remind me of the coping mechanisms she taught me. I'll have to put them into use while I'm losing the weight. I've been picturing the flab hanging to my knees. Maybe it won't be that bad. Thanks again for your words of wisdom.

KO26 - I didn't mean "kick me in the butt" in a negative way; I meant it in a positive way. I appreciate the information on the Shapeez bras's. I'm going to look up their website and put it in favorites. You wouldn't believe how many websites I've added to favorites since I began my quest, and I haven't even seen the nutritionist or psychologist, yet. Those are still a week or two away. Thanks, again.

Barb-The amount of "hanging skin" we end with up is purely genitic so please don't go by what other people have told you. Try to keep your focus on having your surgery then keeping compliant with the meal plan phases and eating healthy until you reach your goal weight. Once you do that you will have plenty of time to decide what you want to do regarding any potential cosmetic surgeries. You may be perfectly happy with the way you look without surgery. You have enough to contend with as it is and don't need to spend your mental energy on what might need to happen so far in the future.

Good advice. I don't see any way I could afford cosmetic surgery, anyway, without going into my husband's 401K. I'd have to think long and hard before doing that. I've found 2 website that offer bra's that extend to the hips to camoflage (spelled wrong) the flab.

You have done great. It's all about the small steps we achieve. I just past my one year in Aug 2012 and I am happy to be down 87lbs
Keep up the good work

Back