• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Compulsive overeater

Jniz

Here I am A 60-year-old male with a story not unlike many others out there "I've had enough". After countless diets I have finally made the decision to have Bariatric surgery RYN. I Never thought I would be doing this but its past time. I have 20 + years recovery with the help of AA and, have been in and out of OA for the last 10 years. As many of you know there is not many males and very little success within the group period. It was in OA where I found out how little long-term success there is for people who don't have weight loss surgery. I admit the thought of having surgery was Scary in because most of the people who I knew had the lap band surgery and almost everyone failed within 1 to 5 years. Once I was able to get past my ignorance not all surgeries are equal. After talking extensively with 5 or 6 people who have had the RNY surgery I felt this is. the right choice for me. With almost no support in small town Oregon I decided to reach out.

James

Your so right the past thread's have already answered questions I did not even know that had yet!!

You clearly have a lot of knowledge and I want to congratulate you on your success to date.

I will be reaching out to the group as I’m sure I will have many unanswered questions.

Hey, James. Welcome to the group. It's great that you reached out early. I think the more prepared you are on the day of surgery, the better. Not to mention, just having a place to talk it all out, the good and the bad, is super important, imo. As far as I can tell the majority of us are less than a year post op, which gives you a group that goes through it with you. And then we have a few 'pros' that are years and years out, that can give you long term motivation. So, you picked the right group!

Thank-you missinacage

I agree with you 100% SOOOOO grateful to have found this website. I have spoken with a number of people who have had the sleeve or the bypass with more than 10 years under there belt. I know there is exceptions but they all said no regrets. However; most of them fail to mention many of the complications even short term talked about on this site. Understandable, over time our memories fade. While I know everyone’s experience is different it is enlightening to hear from so many people who are a different phase of they journey and their unique experience before and after surgery.

A shout out to everyone on this website that gives me a safe place to share!

James

Back