• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Concern

ano063018

Hi everyone! I’m new here and have my first consultation on 6/16. I have a history of depression and anxiety where I have been hospitalized twice for it. My last hospitalization was a little over a year ago now. I have to admit that I don’t take my psych meds as I should but I have been for the past three months. I do not want to follow with my current psychiatrist anymore because quite frankly, I cannot afford it. I am looking to get into Coleman’s mental health services which they will take you no matter if you can pay. Which is great for me! My concern here is that I wasn’t taking my medications like I should be, even though I am now, and I haven’t followed up with my psychiatrist in about a year. But I am looking to get a new one. Will this hurt my chances of getting approved for Bariatric surgery? On my medical record, I have missed a few appointments recently but my dad was in the hospital after experiencing cardiac arrest. I missed these not thinking because I had so much going on with taking care of him. I’m just worried about everything and keep thinking of ways they could say no. What do you guys think??

Welcome! As part of the preop process, there is a psychological consult required to assess your mental and emotional health. I would guess the best way to prepare for that is to attend therapy regularly and always take your medication. At my psych consult, they did ask about those things and he asked to contact my therapist, I guess to check in whether I had been discussing the surgery and my feelings about foods. I don't know if the psych you meet with will do the same. But for your own well being, it may be a good thing for you to resume regular therapy and take your medications. Although, I am neither a doctor or therapist, so I'm not sure how past hospitalizations could factor into their decision.

My past hospitalizations didn't end up mattering as much as taking my meds on a consistent basis. Congrats for doing this for the last few months. I would talk to the person doing the psych consult about them possibly recommending someone who deals with eating disorders. My therapist had the lap band and a revision to VSG. I'm attempting to do the same thing, and it's great to have a professional to talk to who had the same surgery. Keep up the good work!

Back