• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Confession time...

JudyNY

Okay, here it is, my big confession. Since I had returned from vacation and then got hit with my daughter and granddaughter moving back in with us, I could not get back on track during May. Today being June 1st, I am giving myself some grace for last month and using June 1st as a way to wipe the slate clean and refocus. This worked for me last January and I'm going to reapply those principles I used that helped me before.

I know the choices I've made in the last few weeks were my own doing and it is up to me to make it right. I am ready, I have cleared my head and here I go. Step one is doing what I just did by admitting it right here to all of you. My surgery anniversary is coming up on June 25th and I want to get there and feel good about how far I have come without any backsliding looming over me. I know I can do this!

There will always be times where life catches us by surprise. You caught it, now you are planning to make it on your terms. This you can do since you have already done it. It is just a wee stumble. But look at how much more support you will have in the house. And what a good example you will be. I have dietician talk tomorrow on the phone with VA. So I will hear more about my progress then. Be safe and have fun.

Aww, Judy. I'm sorry to hear you had such a rough month. My yearly anniversary is coming up in June (22nd) as well, which has me reflecting I am coming to the hard realization that I am actually going to have to work at this .. forever. I honestly was hoping to end up thinking about food a lot less. Although the more people I talk to I am hearing that even "normal" sized people are always aware of their food choices and how much exercise or how many salads are required to "pay" for that pizza. I'm a bit overwhelmed by the idea. I am realizing that I have spent my entire adult life eating as if I was a toddler left to my own devices. Whatever tasted good, regardless of nutritional content. So, I think I'm going to have to make even more long term changes than I had originally thought. It is never going to be just eating less of the foods I ate before. It's going to have to be long term healthy changes or exchanges. All that is to say, you are not the only one making less than ideal choices at this point. As always, we are in it together. And I'm proud of you for sharing your struggle, as it really does help the rest of us. You can do anything you set your mind to.

Thanks Missy, yes sometimes it does get a bit a bit much on always tracking the food, etc. But as you said, I have spent my adult life not worrying about nutritional content or calories and this is the price to pay. Most of the time it really isn't all that bad but sometimes it can be overwhelming. And if the truth be known, while I was eating poorly these last couple of weeks, I felt like crap. My Fibromyalgia really flared up. I know stress is the main factor but I think a crappy diet doesn't help. So there certainly is something to be said about eating healthy, why does my brain forget that?

I think we are all probably extra susceptible to back slides sometimes. Our body and brains don't forget the easy way to get dopamine hits and satisfaction. Stress causes all sorts of nasty things in our bodies that can be really hard to control. Life throws us curveballs, and sometimes it takes a while to learn how hit them out of the park. This past February when we were without power for almost two weeks, it really rocked my boat. I didn't lose weight that month, I ate like crap (soooo many snack foods). It took some effort to get back on track, but it's possible, and you can do it.

You have been progressing wonderfully and you know the right things to do. You can definitely take control.

Forgive yourself if you feel guilty.

Praise yourself for making the decision to get back on track.

Plan to make good choices tomorrow.

Forgive, Praise, Plan.

Stay positive and go for it, and as always reach out for support from this great community!

Back