• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

considering gastric bypass

sisterb

hi there...my handle is "sisterb" and this is my first post. looking for first hand info on hair loss. had a lap band a few years ago which I did nothing with, and am now considering doing the gastric bypass. I lost quite a bit of hair last time, and I really don't want to go bald! I also don't want this fear of hair loss (and loose, sagging skin) to stop me dead in my tracks. got any feedback? would love to hear it.....

hi there...my handle is "sisterb" and this is my first post. looking for first hand info on hair loss. had a lap band a few years ago which I did nothing with, and am now considering doing the gastric bypass. I lost quite a bit of hair last time, and I really don't want to go bald! I also don't want this fear of hair loss (and loose, sagging skin) to stop me dead in my tracks. got any feedback? would love to hear it.....

Please, tell us more about you. Post your statistics.

Generally, the health risks for most of us far outweight the sagging skin issue, which we all have, or hair loss. If you are really heavy and end up with lots of sagging skin, then cosmetic surgery for removal of the skin may be needed. in some cases, the surgery is approved and covered by insurance since it may have created other medical issues.

As to hair loss, I cannot help you. But this is generally temporary. A lot of people lose hair as a result of too much stress. I remember my wife having issues and lots of stress and the hair simply came out. Once the issues were addressed and dealt with the hair came back.

Ralph

hair loss is only temporary if you take all your vitimans and supplements that are prescribed doesn't last more than 5-6 months and it wil grow back.

Linda

Hi, sisterb. My hair fell out starting around the 4th month, and continued until about the 6th month. I did not go bald, and my hair is growing back. As for sagging skin, that is going to happen anytime you loose a large amount of weight. However, my skin is "bouncing back," and does not sag as much as it used to.

I hope that you find this information useful!

Back