• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Daily Inspiration 2022!

JudyNY

I like this quote and am a C.S. Lewis superfan. I've read most of his books and articles. This quote didn't sound right to me. For the record, I looked it up. I'll paste it below, but I do want to say the sentiment is fine. The attribution is wrong. FYI:

"Verdict: False

There is no evidence that Lewis ever said or wrote this statement.

Fact Check:
Lewis, one of the most renowned authors and theologians of the 20th century, is well known for fiction like “The Chronicles of Narnia,” as well as his musings on Christianity, including “The Problem of Pain.”

Though he is frequently quoted on the internet, there is no evidence that Lewis said or wrote the phrase attributed to him in the Facebook post. Michael Ward, a Lewis expert and author of “The Narnia Code: C.S. Lewis and the Secret of the Seven Heavens,” told The Daily Caller News Foundation in an email that the quote is not genuine.

It does not appear in “The Quotable Lewis,” a book that contains more than 1,500 verified quotes from the writer, or any of his writings. The C.S. Lewis Foundation features the quote on a section of its website titled “Quotes Misattributed to C.S. Lewis.”

The foundation credits motivational speaker Les Brown with coining the expression."

He was so brilliant, and kind of unrecognized, except for the Narnia Chronicles, but most people never notice the author as they read to their kids at bedtime. I had a work-related professional connection to his works, which is the only reason I recognize fake quotes. If you're spiritual, and especially Christian, "Mere Christianity" is a must. There's one brilliant conclusion in that book, essentially challenging people who consider Christ a good man, or a prophet, not the son of God. I won't go into it here, but it's worth reading. I'm not Christian, but have a soft spot for Lewis, who was also pals with Carl Jung. I'm into the meaning of dreams, so I can get pretty excited by all the revelations in these writings.

I know, TMI, right? It just happened that you and I intersected here, but we both learned something new, which is what living is about.

Back