• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Damn Hormonal Problems

I am 7 months post RNY, with a significant history for hormonal problems causing many health problems, not the least of which is trouble losing weight. I lost my initial 40 lbs within the first 3 months, but attribute that to the stricture I had at the surgical sight. Since i have been able eat, drink and take my medications ( calcium, multivit, prevacid, etc.) the weight loss has almost stopped. Working out 5 times a week (cardiac and aerobic) for an hour each time. Lost 18+ inches, but no weight. Surgeon wants 20 lbs off in next three months. Down 10, but plataued AGAIN!

Anyone else with similar problems? What did you do to break platau? Have increased fluids and protien intake.

No issue here other than having to have my gallbladder out this past Friday..

What are you eating and how much?

How much food are you consuming at each meal?

Are you sticking with lean protein, not fried and drowned in sauces?

Are you getting the recommended amount of protein for your body needs?

You state hormonal issues... Are you insulin resistant aka Metabolic Syndrome, polycystic ovarian and or breast, thyroid or medication weight loss resistant?

The fact your loosing inches is a great sign... Keep in mind strength training increases lean muscle mass which weigh more than fat..

Maybe you need to decrease your muscle building program and increase your cardio for a few weeks and see if this helps.

Hope this helps

I am 7 months post RNY, with a significant history for hormonal problems causing many health problems, not the least of which is trouble losing weight. I lost my initial 40 lbs within the first 3 months, but attribute that to the stricture I had at the surgical sight. Since i have been able eat, drink and take my medications ( calcium, multivit, prevacid, etc.) the weight loss has almost stopped. Working out 5 times a week (cardiac and aerobic) for an hour each time. Lost 18+ inches, but no weight. Surgeon wants 20 lbs off in next three months. Down 10, but plataued AGAIN!

Anyone else with similar problems? What did you do to break platau? Have increased fluids and protien intake.

I also have had hormonal problems all my life. I also keep hitting a plateau with my weight. It was suggested by someone on this list that when you hit a plateau, then change your diet, and it does seem to work for me. Like I was eating an egg for breakfast and a salad with chicken in it for lunch and for dinner. My weight loss was stalled. I made some pasta with stewed tomatoes and lean beef and ate a SMALL amount (a couple tablespoons) with my salad for a few days. Then When I stopped the pasta I dropped 5 lb. But be careful not to overdue it or you could gain weight. Your body gets used to the same diet and I think it tries to keep you from starving. By changing your diet around it may fool your metabolism but be very careful not to overeat and stretch your tummy. Good Luck!!!

I am intaking 12-18 gms of protien per meal, while watching carbs. I was on an insulin pump until just before the holidays, had PCOS ( hysterectomy took care of that), and metabolic syndrome. I think I need to work harder on finding receipes to change out my diet. My oncologist said I would have problems losing weight due to my apple figure. I just wish it would come easier someday.

Will change out my workouts to more cardio. I know muscle is denser than fat, so weighs more. Have gone down from 24 to 18 in sizes. Almost a 16!

I am getting there, just not fast enough for me!

Back