• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Day 2

canecorso81

So the 2nd day is pretty much over. My tummy is very sore and is so hard to get out and in bed. Other than that so far so good. I am already drinking clear fluids in the medicine cups every 15 minutes. I am able to walk by myself and use restroom. I have not had any gas pain which is so odd to me or its coming still. I've been up walking since yesterday 6 hours after surgery and doing my breathing exercises.
I am so shocked at how little pain. My incisions itch and are a bit red around them. Nurses say it's ok so I will believe them.
I'll try to write my 3rd day tomorrow.

I am so scared I have 100.3 temp!!!!!
You need to call your doctor right away. If you get the doctor's service, make sure that you tell the service it's urgent and that the doctor needs to be STAT paged. If that doesn't work call the hospital and tell them your symptoms and recent surgery and ask if you should come in. They usually won't answer this question but in your case they might. Don't wait. Act immediately. Tell us all about it when you feel better.

Last edited:
You need to call your doctor right away. If you get the doctor's service, make sure that you tell the service it's urgent and that the doctor needs to be STAT paged. If that doesn't work call the hospital and tell them your symptoms and recent surgery and ask if you should come in. They usually won't answer this question but in your case they might. Don't wait. Act immediately. Tell us all about it when you feel better.
I'm still at the hospital. There gonna give me tylenol

You're surrounded by medical professionals who all know that you just had surgery and now you're running a low fever. If there was anything to worry about, they would be worrying about it.

They have already given you Tylenol which is the first line of defense. It's very probable that your fever is already down. As you are checked during the night, you can ask and I'm positive that your fever will disappear. But I think you could make things a little bit more difficult if you are excessively worried or panicked. You don't have anything to panic about right now. It's not like out of millions of people, you're the one who contracts a fever as a post-operative condition and you die!

If you're still hooked up to that morphine pump, push the button and let yourself relax. If you find yourself feeling more panicky regardless, ask the nurse for a sedative or something to help you sleep. They will be happy to give it to you.

But I'm guessing by the time you're reading this your fever is already down, having responded to the Tylenol. It's not a real fever that indicates some sort of illness. It is just a random elevation in your body temperature that could be due to stress or something you ate or wishing you were home or anything. We can work ourselves up into a fever pitch.

Give yourself a little dose of Happy, take some deep breaths and try to visualize a place where you feel very happy and let yourself Drift Off to Sleep. It's really great that you're in a hospital with this little fever. Nobody's going to let you get sick, that's for sure! They'll be waking you up all night to make sure that you're fever has gone down. You are feeling uncomfortable about a lot of things and the fever is just one of the ways that your body is telling you you don't feel good. A good night sleep will probably restore you to complete health.

You can actually regulate your body temperature with focused meditation. Imagine yourself in a beautiful Meadow with a Cool Breeze and butterflies everywhere, or next to a beautiful Crystal Clear Lake. Feel your environment touching your skin and enjoy it. You will help your body to relax as you allow your mind to relax. And when you're relaxed, you won't be feeling feverish.

You are fine.

You're surrounded by medical professionals who all know that you just had surgery and now you're running a low fever. If there was anything to worry about, they would be worrying about it.

They have already given you Tylenol which is the first line of defense. It's very probable that your fever is already down. As you are checked during the night, you can ask and I'm positive that your fever will disappear. But I think you could make things a little bit more difficult if you are excessively worried or panicked. You don't have anything to panic about right now. It's not like out of millions of people, you're the one who contracts a fever as a post-operative condition and you die!

If you're still hooked up to that morphine pump, push the button and let yourself relax. If you find yourself feeling more panicky regardless, ask the nurse for a sedative or something to help you sleep. They will be happy to give it to you.

But I'm guessing by the time you're reading this your fever is already down, having responded to the Tylenol. It's not a real fever that indicates some sort of illness. It is just a random elevation in your body temperature that could be due to stress or something you ate or wishing you were home or anything. We can work ourselves up into a fever pitch.

Give yourself a little dose of Happy, take some deep breaths and try to visualize a place where you feel very happy and let yourself Drift Off to Sleep. It's really great that you're in a hospital with this little fever. Nobody's going to let you get sick, that's for sure! They'll be waking you up all night to make sure that you're fever has gone down. You are feeling uncomfortable about a lot of things and the fever is just one of the ways that your body is telling you you don't feel good. A good night sleep will probably restore you to complete health.

You can actually regulate your body temperature with focused meditation. Imagine yourself in a beautiful Meadow with a Cool Breeze and butterflies everywhere, or next to a beautiful Crystal Clear Lake. Feel your environment touching your skin and enjoy it. You will help your body to relax as you allow your mind to relax. And when you're relaxed, you won't be feeling feverish.

You are fine.
Thank u for all the advice . My temp already dropped to 100.5 and I'm sweating a while bunch.
I was just so worried something is wrong and I have to go back to surgery.
Do u think its weird I can drink my water and crystal light in small sips and unhave yet to get that full feeling?

I doubt very much you will have to have another surgery. Right now, it's a low grade fever. Even if it is an infection, those are usually able to be cured with antibiotics. I did not actually feel full until I got home and got to full liquid protein shakes. That is why they tell you to drink 1oz at a time. They don't actually want you to get/feel full. They want you comfortable. You are at the hospital, even if your worst fear comes true, you are 100% covered. I would definitely ask for something to help with your anxiety, if I were you. You have enough to deal with, without that as well.

So my infection test results all came back negative but my temp has been lingering around 99.5. Hopefully itll all be ok and I can go home tomorrow :))))
Still waiting for the gas pain lol.
I keep burping but nothing out the other end lol. AMD my stomach isnt that bloated i don't think.
Good morning! Sounds like you're all taken care of for the time being. Somehow I slept until 1pm and had a medical zoom appt scheduled for that time! Just finished and dropped in to check on you.

FYI, my normal body temp is 97.4. When I exert myself physically it goes to 99 or higher right away. A fluctuation in temp isn't always related to infection, but you have a lot of processes happening right now.

Let the medical staff worry about you. They help post-op people get ready to go home every day. I remember my O2 going down to the low 90s. I was spaced out and didn't know why the nurse was freaking out. Turned out that the way my bed was adjusted had caused me to slump down an pinch the supply tube. Once properly situated, I was fine.

I know for sure that succumbing to fear and worry will make things worse. Try deep breathing, reading aloud, humming a tune, listening to music with eyes closed, any calming or meditative experience.

Remember that just a few days ago you were thinking about canceling surgery. That little entity that was created by that fear has been lurking inside your body ever since. You did the right thing and the brave Thing by not canceling your surgery. But that little doubt creature is just waiting for an opportunity to undo all your confidence. Don't give in. You are fine. You are going through the same kind of stuff everybody goes through. And we are all here on the other side, waiting to welcome you home.

You just had surgery. You have a little fever. Your fever is being treated. Your temperature is almost back to normal already. There is nothing wrong. Think about all those things and how one event led to another which led to another. You are getting appropriate Medical Care and they are only concerned with making you strong enough so that you can go home and start living your fabulous life.

And everyone here who knows you is so excited for you. We can't wait until you step on that scale in a week or so and see how much the surgery was worth it. Come on home kiddo! There's nothing wrong. You are fine.

Back