• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Day 8

canecorso81

Hey guys!
Just a quick update. I am 8 days post op and feel great. I have been off pain meds for 2 days and after my horrible 2 days of vomiting I would say I've turned a corner. I feel energized and more up beat. I am down to 206.0 from 219 day of surgery. I was 224 before 5 day liquid diet pre op.
I am finding it hard to get my protein in but am able to get most my liquids ounces in. I need to get unflavored protein powder.
I still have yet to do the "deed" in the bathroom which worries me but I'm just taking it 1 day at a time. I have taken 30ml of milk of magnesium 1 a day for 2 days and still nothing, but in no way feel backed up. I am still able to toot lol. Tmi I know lol. I am finding myself craving for some type of food, not junk food just something other than protein shakes and clear liquids. I hope I'm able to do so on my dr appt on the 28th.
I have noticed my hair already falling out which scares me cause we just started this journey! Lol. But thank god for extensions if I need lol
Overall i am very happy with my decision so far. I did have a couple days where i was googling If I could reverse this bc it was just unbearable but those days have passed.
I'll update next week!!!!!❤

Great news. Glad you're happy with your decision. In some ways it does get easier when you can choose actual foods, I really missed chewing. But I have to admit, there are some meals I'm just like ugh, lemme grab a shake or a pudding because I'm so sick of trying to decide what to eat/cook/make. lol Making these tiny portions is a bit of a pain. lol I hit 1 month yesterday and could not be happier with my decision.

Sounds like you’re doing awesome. From what I’ve read on the forums, your hair and protein intake are related. I know it’s hard, but be careful you aren’t losing the weight in muscle from lack of protein intake. But getting your liquids in is awesome, I know that can be very difficult after surgery.

Day 8 here also! Awesome stats! I'm taking the meds still but I'm pretty sure I can stop and save what's left for when I really hurt. My surgery weight at the office was 249 and my new Renpho scale just told me 236.2. Yesterday was my only mishap, I ate too much soup and felt "full." I'm finally coming to terms with my long term commitment.

Sounds like you’re doing awesome. From what I’ve read on the forums, your hair and protein intake are related. I know it’s hard, but be careful you aren’t losing the weight in muscle from lack of protein intake. But getting your liquids in is awesome, I know that can be very difficult after surgery.
I vomit everytime I put something sweet in my mouth. I need to find a good non flavored protein powder or something. I'm gonna look online today. I def want to get it in but my body has other plans :(

I still have yet to do the "deed" in the bathroom which worries me but I'm just taking it 1 day at a time. I have taken 30ml of milk of magnesium 1 a day for 2 days and still nothing, but in no way feel backed up.
Congratulations on your progress! And not to belabor the point, but I so highly recommend a fiber laxative added to your daily diet. It doesn't add any calories but it makes everything so much better.

You can't take a laxative like milk of magnesia for very long. It's not good for your body. I guess you should probably ask your surgeon about that but I know one thing for sure: taking a fiber laxative can't hurt.

And you really cannot keep going on without a bowel movement. Things will back up and can be very painful and bad for you. Eventually you may find a new meaning for the word "logjam." Believe me, you don't want to do that.

If you don't like Metamucil or something like that, fiber laxative also comes in capsules, though those might not dissolve well enough to do the job.

I keep talking about this because it is something you cannot conceive of until it happens to you. It's always a good idea to be kind to your new digestive system. And those of us who have had the experience of superconstipation can tell you we never want to do it again.

We all are so careful about what we put into our bodies after surgery, but people don't talk enough about what comes out of your body and how that happens.

I would be curious to know what your doctor says about taking milk of magnesia or any kind of harsh laxative following the surgery. I know that my doctor stressed to me that I should not take a chemical laxative.

Hair loss happens after a lot of different kinds of surgery and it has nothing to do with your protein intake. In preoperative support groups and visits to my surgeon and nutritionist, I was told to expect hair loss. In post-operative support group meetings, some people said theirs never grew back.

I changed my diet so radically after surgery that I fully expected to grow long fingernails and thick hair. But it didn't make any difference.

The hair loss is somehow related to the shock to your body from having surgery. And this is a particularly radical surgery that removes part of your organs and causes your body's digestive process to completely shift.

It will grow back eventually. Some people have had good results from using various kinds of shampoo. But I did everything right and my hair fell out anyway. The good news is, most of it usually grows back.

In my experience, even though it was a little depressing, I was so jazzed by getting my figure back that I just asked my hair stylist to figure out a way to cut my hair so that the Thin spots didn't show so much. It was kind of fun because not only did I get a new body, but I got a new hairstyle.

My dr suggested I get solace and benefiber. To try those and stop milk of magnesium. So I am going to get those tonight. He saodnif in 4 days nothing to give him a call back.
I do realize I've literally only had fluids in 15days. I had a bm 9 days ago so I hope one will be coming lol.
I love how open this group is!

Good. It's important to remember though that fluids have nothing to do with bowel movements. That is to say, whether you are consuming fluids or solids, your bowels are still going to create waste, and it still needs to pass.

I am really happy to hear that you're not going to be taking the milk of magnesia anymore. It is really bad for you, honestly and should only be used as a last resort. There are many laxatives that are less harmful.

And just adding fiber usually fixes everything, though we do have some members here who will tell you nothing works for them. That is a very unhappy thing as is chronic diarrhea, but they are both digestive issues that sometimes are severe after bariatric surgery.

Great job! Solace is what my doctor recommended as well. Now things are regular especially since I'm off the narcotics.
Do what you can to get that protein up. It is a key factor in success from what I've learned from many sources. We're both still very early in this journey (I'm on Day 7 post-op). We've got this! :) Good luck!

Great job! Solace is what my doctor recommended as well. Now things are regular especially since I'm off the narcotics.
Do what you can to get that protein up. It is a key factor in success from what I've learned from many sources. We're both still very early in this journey (I'm on Day 7 post-op). We've got this! :) Good luck!
We sure do!!!!! I will say tho I cant wait for an taste of something lol.

We sure do!!!!! I will say tho I cant wait for an taste of something lol.

Although I haven’t been hungry and having a lot of cravings, the thing I feel like I want right now is a sharp cheddar cheese stick! It’s not sweet and has a nice chewability. The second thing is a dill pickle, again because it isn’t sweet and has some crunch.

I shouldn’t be thinking about those things when I have a week of liquids left to go! Lol

Although I haven’t been hungry and having a lot of cravings, the thing I feel like I want right now is a sharp cheddar cheese stick! It’s not sweet and has a nice chewability. The second thing is a dill pickle, again because it isn’t sweet and has some crunch.

I shouldn’t be thinking about those things when I have a week of liquids left to go! Lol
Omg those sounds amazing!!!!!!

I’m obsessed with pickles since surgery, I can’t eat the skins though because they’re too tough, I just have to nibble them :D

Back