• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Day Eleven postop

Richard

Today was my eleventh day after surgery. I was originally scheduled for a gastric bypass, but the doctor need to do a gastric sleeve instead due to not enough flexibility in small intestine. I don't know how common that is. He seemed to think that a gastric bypass could be done later if needed, which seemed odd. Stomach capacity seems to be about 1 cup now. I thought weight would be falling off on the 2 week liquid diet, but it seems to have stalled. My average calorie intake is about 400 a day. I've started to introduce soft protein the last few days per my plan (plain greek yogurt, eggs, cheese, broth). Next week I can add dark chicken and beans, there doesn't seem to be a slushy stage with my plan, soft proteans instead. I've been fortunate with only side effects being a little nausea, headaches and tired alot. I have stuck to plan.

If you only ingest 400 calories a day, your body will go into starvation mode, no matter what you do. You can actually gain weight doing that.

The key is finding your metabolic set point, which a nutritionist can help you figure out. Good luck, Riichard. Hope you're feeling physically comfortable.

If you only ingest 400 calories a day, your body will go into starvation mode, no matter what you do. You can actually gain weight doing that.

The key is finding your metabolic set point, which a nutritionist can help you figure out. Good luck, Riichard. Hope you're feeling physically comfortable.
I’m 4 days out and only getting 300-400 calories, per my dietary instructions. I don’t increase for another 3.5 weeks. Seems odd.

Your caloric intake is a question for your team. You should have blood tests and nutritional tracking/counseling.

But I agree with you. That length of time seems odd.

I don't know if these will help you with your calorie intake, but as a change in taste from protein shakes, I found Oikos Pro Yogurt (with 20 mg of Protein) and Chobani Greek Yogurt Protein Shakes (with 20 mg) are helpful for me. 2 weeks out from surgery, the PA's said to increase my calorie intake to over 600 calories (back in January). Right now, I think I'm experiencing my first "weight plateau" as my weight has stayed exactly the same for almost 3 weeks now despite sticking with "the plan" and regular exercise. I think both the Oikos yogurt and the Chobani shakes are about 150 calories each. My dietician said incorporate them because they are so high in protein.

Today was my eleventh day after surgery. I was originally scheduled for a gastric bypass, but the doctor need to do a gastric sleeve instead due to not enough flexibility in small intestine. I don't know how common that is. He seemed to think that a gastric bypass could be done later if needed, which seemed odd. Stomach capacity seems to be about 1 cup now. I thought weight would be falling off on the 2 week liquid diet, but it seems to have stalled. My average calorie intake is about 400 a day. I've started to introduce soft protein the last few days per my plan (plain greek yogurt, eggs, cheese, broth). Next week I can add dark chicken and beans, there doesn't seem to be a slushy stage with my plan, soft proteans instead. I've been fortunate with only side effects being a little nausea, headaches and tired a lot. I have stuck to plan.
I think it will take a little time for your weight loss to even out. I gained 8 pounds of fluid during surgery, and my weight has been up and down with a couple of stalls. My weight loss seems to be slow, but steady. However, I expected to lose ten or more pounds in the first 2 weeks and that did not happen.

Back